ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

23 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Here are a couple of upcoming games I've following. Would be interested in people's thoughts:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1579340/Survive_the_Fall/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1478850/Vendir_Plague_of_Lies/

I cant say I know anything about it but it looks very promising 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 4/15/2022 at 12:49 PM, kanisatha said:

Here are a couple of upcoming games I've following. Would be interested in people's thoughts:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1579340/Survive_the_Fall/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1478850/Vendir_Plague_of_Lies/

Survive the Fall looks like it could be a good survival game. As for Vendir, the fact that it's coming out on mobile (as well as consoles and PC) doesn't automatically mean it will suck (contrary to popular belief, good mobile games do exist, they're just buried under a mountain of gacha garbage), but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You probably need more vitality. I started pumping it up now - want to get to at least 45 or 50 ... Based on old FS games, I stopped at vitality 30, but that's clearly not enough in Elden Ring.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

58 minutes ago, Lexx said:

You probably need more vitality. I started pumping it up now - want to get to at least 45 or 50 ... Based on old FS games, I stopped at vitality 30, but that's clearly not enough in Elden Ring.

45 already

didn't matter

those crusible knight doesn't get stagger easy and kill in three hit

I'm a wee bit desperate by now, so I'll just post in here: I'm looking for a writer who would be willing to help out with some ... writing. Paid job, the content will find its way into a commercial game. Not a lot is required, some monologuing, some task texts, coming up with some ideas for story background, etc. A slight interest in northern africa / morocco and algier is preferred.

Anyone around who would feel the motivation to help out?

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 hours ago, melkathi said:

You can always drop me a line.

But I don't know if I'll be the right fit.

You can always fake it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, melkathi said:

Maybe he won't notice the game will be about teddy bears in Morocco...

By that time you've cashed the cheque and changed your forum name to Not Melkathi.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

50 minutes ago, Malcador said:

By that time you've cashed the cheque and changed your forum name to Not Melkathi.

Keeping with forum etiquette the name would be Totally not melkathi. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Not the greatest cinematic they've put out.  Hopefully is a 'simple' game, no need to mess with all kinds of systems.

Surprised I didn't hear of this game. 

looks like clone of supreme commander

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Looks like TA, one of the units is a dead ringer for the Intimidator from TA.  Music sounds like someone was a big fan of Klepacki.  Not a bad thing to copy in either way, though.

• Thanks 1

Okay, maybe not random game news, but it's kinda funny, at least when viewed through the lense of too little sleep and a tiring couple of weeks at work:

o2aC1gu.png
I suppose it is not entirely impossible to write for a game without using any pronouns at all, but it is most likely going to be a bit of an awkward read.

There are languages where the use of pronouns is fairly limited or generally ungendered (as far as I know Hungarian doesn't distinguish between third person based on gender at all, neither does Mandarin), or they are a different class/type of word than what we would understand as such (Japanese pronouns are simply nouns and behave as such and also have different meanings), and there are a handful that have no pronouns as separate words (like the Iroquoian languages, they have pronominal verb endings), but as far as I know every language we have has a way to refer to people in some form or another.

Think about it, it would be really strange to have no way to do that. Languages exist to talk to other people. Even if you can leave them out because the context makes it clear and your languages allows for that, they're still implied.

They (oh, snap!) of course meant the game has customizable pronouns that replace them in the text when set accordingly, a feature that does not need to be used and defaults back to regular usage when unused. Seems like a trifle to get one's panties in a bunch, but what do I know, maybe it really is possible to catch the gay from a computer game that allows you to pick the pronouns used to address your character. :shrugz:

Edited by majestic
Uhm, formatting. It's late.
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

12 hours ago, majestic said:

as far as I know Hungarian doesn't distinguish between third person based on gender at all

Yep, we just say "ő/ők". :lol: And Hungarian in general is a pronoun dropping language.

• Like 1