The All Things Political Topic - Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities

ShadySands

More proof of Canadians being ****ing morons - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/governor-general-no-confidence-1.6360883

Can't wait to see what these QAnon North homunculi try next.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Gorth said:

It’s 2:20am here, so I’ll have to give this thread a break until tomorrow afternoon (Eastern Aussie time) 👍

am personal gonna be unavailable from noonish our time 'til march 4, so is unlikely either of us revisits soon. no sweat. will no doubt come up organic again at some point in the future. always does.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

22 minutes ago, Gorth said:

It’s 2:20am here, so I’ll have to give this thread a break until tomorrow afternoon (Eastern Aussie time) 👍

duty_calls.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

18 minutes ago, Malcador said:

More proof of Canadians being ****ing morons - https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/governor-general-no-confidence-1.6360883

Can't wait to see what these QAnon North homunculi try next.

I am amazed in a first world country some citizens could be so ignorant about how their government works...to quote 

The organizers of the convoy protest said they hoped to dissolve the federal government through appeals to the governor general.

Im truly amazed and shocked 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I am amazed in a first world country some citizens could be so ignorant about how their government works.

Have you ever spent 5 minutes talking to a handful ? 😛

Oh my god.... 

This is ridiculous... 

As predicted, huffing and puffing to deflect from economic issues at home and now the servile lapdog CBS will try to push that inflation and economic issues in US are a result of no other than your boogyman RUSSIA... Does anyone believe these ****heads still? 

Edited by Darkpriest

@DarkpriestMaybe you want to ask Europeans or the Kenyans what they think:

And last I checked freaking Bernie Sanders wasn't exactly Scoop Jackson-esque in his views on interventionism:

FMOsGWJWYA0IfsD?format=jpg&name=large

Slice of life story: In anticipation of the upcoming release of the Eldar codex I was on my daily sojourn onto Reddit to see the new rules leaks, and the last image on post alone got an upvote from me.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

haha, that Kenya speech was hilarious.

'we would still be waging bloody wars these many decades later'

bro, there are no more wars than in Africa right now. I am rolling on the floor

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

25 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

haha, that Kenya speech was hilarious.

'we would still be waging bloody wars these many decades later'

bro, there are no more wars than in Africa right now. I am rolling on the floor

Yes you right, their are numerous conflicts and coups in several African countries. I would say the most in the last 20 years so the end of Colonialism hasnt changed that 

But then their are the rising stars and success stories so its a mixed bag 

But he is right about Ukraine and what  Russia  is doing 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Maybe he meant Kenya alone there, but I guess it still does back up his point to acknowledge the mostly insurgencies in Africa right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Maybe he meant Kenya alone there, but I guess it still does back up his point to acknowledge the mostly insurgencies in Africa right now.

Also he is referring to wars over tribal  and ethnic conflicts and not all the current conflicts are about that 

So for example their are 4-5  areas where countries are battling Islamic Extremists like Al-Shabaab and Boko Haram 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Reminds me to try to figure out WTF went on in the Second Congo War.

1024px-Second_Congo_War_Africa_map_en.sv

Edited by Malcador

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Reminds me to try to figure out WTF went on in the Second Congo War.

I agree, thats a very complicated war because of all  the countries that got involved

It was partly ethnic but IMO more about about the massive mineral wealth within the DRC with countries like Angola and Zimbabwe ( Mugabe of course ) sending troops to " help  " the people of the DRC but most countries getting involved didnt care about the people of the DRC but wanted to enrich themselves 

And to this day the DRC still doesnt have a proper, functional government. It has huge amounts of unmined mineral wealth and should be the wealthiest country in Africa. Nice people from the DRC, they speak French and English. I worked their once in 2005 or 2006 at a massive  mine that was  a self-sufficient  compound that had its own private airstrip for expats and workers to fly directly in 

All 3 of the security guards in my flat complex in Cpt are from the DRC 

John Milton 

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

why you would wanna yet again bullseye yourself with japan is bordering on insane given the numbers o' historians we has shared comments from who disagree with zor, and zor offering no such authorities to refute.  [..] which is same as his fever dreams 'bout how russia were not planning an invasion o' hokkaido before the collapse o' japanese forces in manchuria. 

Dude, your own sources had the plan you used as evidence being made after Japan had surrendered. Which was... after the collapse of their forces in Manchuria, duh. That was demonstrably proven, by you.

Your source had them launching the invasion from ports they didn't hold- and didn't even plan to hold, according to your own source, until after the invasion date- using troops that obviously weren't there, at odds of at best 1:10, without enough ships or logistics. 

You've got a fringe position that you'll defend to the death by making claims the facts in your own sources don't support. If your own sources counter your claims I have zero need to provide counter evidence. Not only that, that was the second time you'd done the exact same thing, and the second time I'd debunked a different source. That's why you switched to the ludicrous claim about me thinking Manchuria was insignificant.

even so, is improbable zor forgets his own post from mere a page removed and seeming suffers some kinda weird transient amnesiac event. note, blix is one o' the guys who believed there weren't lies from the bush administration-- said so on the not-so mythical video. looking for a person in existence who believes as does Gromnir that the administration were honest mistaken but negligent in their efforts to confirm wmd existence? blix, your injected authority, is one o' those existing people.

as to coercion, blix also said he didn't feel coercion in the "mythical video," so more gaslighting. blix didn't need to share anecdote where he were brought in to see bush, with powell, cheney and others present, and bush made clear and in no uncertain terms that blix had his confidence and support. bush wanted inspections and so blix felt he had bush administration backing, even if a bit later the administration would foolish ignore his pleas for more time to inspect.

Blix was a diplomat, diplomats are obligated to be 'nice'*. If he describes coercion or lies then that is what it is- actually stating it outright is Undiplomatic**. He's multiple times said that they lacked 'critical thinking' or similar, certainly, and then gone on to describe incidents that go well beyond that. No one is disputing that Bush and some others genuinely believed what he was saying (well, at least in the broad sense that they Believed Saddam had wmds, and it didn't matter about the details of proving it), the only question is whether you can excuse yourself from lying by deliberate misinterpretation, removal of all equivocation and the like. If I say "I know for a fact that Joe Bloggs' IQ is 70" it's a lie, even if I genuinely believe it. Because while it may be based on evidence, I don't actually know it for a fact. And there were multiple instances of US officials using that sort of statement, and not just Cheney, Rumsfeld and Bush. There's simply no way those weren't lies.

*He was 'nice' about Saddam too. Don't think I'd be drawing too many conclusions about Saddam based on Blix saying he was cooperative in 2003, did have genuine security and prestige concerns about inspections, and wasn't lying about having disposed of his wmds- especially as he also clearly thought he was a brutal dictator from other things he said. That's just being diplomatic.

**did you know that no politician has ever lied in the NZ parliament? It's true. Not because they've never made deliberate falsehoods though. Or for that matter look at the response to Obama being told 'you lie' during that SotU.

American at the UN has some brass taking umbrage at a permanent member being aggressive.

Russia is carrying out an operation though, apparently

Edited by Malcador

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Nooooo,......its far too early to go sleep, I thought you were hardcore ?

No, I'm old and wise...

😂

I recognize the subtle signals my nose sends me when my phone keeps falling back down and boinking my nose when I drift off while typing 😛

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Agiel said:

Slice of life story: In anticipation of the upcoming release of the Eldar codex I was on my daily sojourn onto Reddit to see the new rules leaks, and the last image on post alone got an upvote from me.

Regarding Ukraine, a diplomatic solution had been worked out but the Minsk Accord was never implemented. Regarding Games Workshop, I'm personally a lot more interested in "Warhammer: The Old World", with a return to the familiar Warhammer world. Talk about screwing up a setting and an existing fan base (i.e. me!) 😠

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

QolI3FD.jpg

The goal is to defend people who have been victims of abuse and genocide from the Kyiv regime. And we will strive to demilitarize and de-Nazify Ukraine. We will also hand over everyone who committed bloody crimes against civilians, including Russian citizens, to court.

-Based V.Put

Blow those Nazi ****s to the almighty

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Seems i might need to be going to find my monopoly guy top hat... DANGEROUSLY close to that. 

Russians entered southern Ukriane... 

I still think this is aimed to carve out a land bridge, but in the current scenario, all bets are off. Things can escalate super fast... 

Edit: an effin a-hole. I'd not think he had the actual lack of reason to do it in the current situation. 

He gave US what they wanted and became a person, who lost ALL credibility on the int. stage. 

And might cause a 3rd WW in the process.... 

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

Gunshots are reported around Kiev airport and Putin just said he has no plans to occupy the country.

This makes some crazy sense now, he is thinking regime change Kabul '79 style. 
Also explains the names lists, troop dispositions and intelligence on the invasion dates.
Little wonder some in armed forces leaked that to the US, too bad it wasn't enough to dissuade him. 
That would mean his expectation is easy collapse of resistance if not outright surrender after first clashes.

Edited by pmp10
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

Putin orders military operations in Ukraine
Explosions are already reported in Kiev, might mean a full scale invasion instead of just grabbing Donetsk.

So much for nothing will happen, it's all a bluff. Right. My sympathies for the people of the Ukraine.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

17 minutes ago, rjshae said:

So much for nothing will happen, it's all a bluff. Right. My sympathies for the people of the Ukraine.

So far Russians aimed tactical infrastructure, like airfields, which is on the outskirts of the cities. No news on any casualties or direct assault on armed forces. No report on the exact number of strikes. 

This however is a really bad situation. This is not Afghanistan, where armed forces were sided with Talibans most of the time anyway. 

I doubt Ukraininas will just fold and run away. 

It is a matter of where Russians are aimed to stop. If south to east land strip, then maybe it will have some potential for de-escalation. 

If this is a full regime change operation, then this will end up very ugly very soon 😭 and I seripusly hope Ukrainians will kick ass and kick out Ruskies

Edited by Darkpriest

Worryingly, Russians landed in Odessa, which is way west to the area of Crimea and land bridge to Russian controlled territory, which means that potentially regime change is the goal, the WORST possible scenario for Ukraine is becoming the most likely very fast...

The comments about 'ruling junta' also indicate on the regime change... 

RUSSIAN MILITARY CARRYING OUT AIRSTRIKES ON UKRAINIAN MILITARY COMPOUNDS AND COMMUNICATION CENTERS NEAR KYIV

UKRAINE TO IMPOSE MARTIAL LAW - TOP SECURITY OFFICIAL, ACCORDING TO LOCAL MEDIA

UKRAINE INTERIOR MINISTRY URGES CITIZENS TO HIDE IN SHELTERS

INTERIOR MINISTRY WARNS UKRAINE CAPITAL OF MISSILE ATTACK

Edited by Darkpriest