The All Things Political Topic - Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities

ShadySands

2 minutes ago, HoonDing said:

Surprised NATO didn't bomb the rest of Africa while they were at it. They love killing people that can't fight back.

Hoonding thats a  terrible thing to say, NATO saved us from the  dystopian reality of living in  a Communist world 

You wouldnt have all your nice toys if it wasnt for NATO

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Chairchucker said:

I just think it's irresponsible and reflects poorly on you to use the language of mental illness to describe someone who disagrees on a point.

Which is one of the reasons I am not going to use that word anymore so thanks for pointing it out 

But you didnt disagree or comment on the article, you just criticized the word Marxist and the word triggered 

Whats your view on the article ? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Except they didn't, they went for regime change which was not authorised. When the rebels attacked Sirte, or Tripoli, under the actual terms of the UNSC resolution (and relevant section quoted below) NATO should have started bombing the rebels, but didn't. That abrogation is why they never got a resolution that even approached allowing force in Syria. Of course, NATO likes to pretend that the resolution allowed regime change- but then that's part of the problem isn't it, NATO pretending it's allowed do stuff that it shouldn't. It's always a special case with special justifications when NATO does something against the rules, but somehow only when NATO breaks the rules.

No mention of bombing only one side, it just says that civilians should be protected. Maybe the rebel grads and artillery etc fired only pot pourri and fluffy bunnies?

Oh yeah, and the NATO backed side used chemical weapons too, in Bani Walid.

That quote shows that they had authorization from UN security council to use force in order to protect civilian population. That they did poor job doesn't change fact that they acted with security council's mandate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://thekingofstocks.com/2022/02/16/san-francisco-residents-overwhelmingly-vote-to-recall-three-far-left-school-board-members/

I saw  this on CNN so its not Fox news hyperbole  but liberal San Francisco has recalled 3 school board members  for focusing too much on progressive left ideology like wanting to change the names of 44 school names in the district. To quote that article 

San Francisco voters overwhelmingly approved a vote to recall three far-left school board members for putting toxic politics ahead of reopening schools.

“The voters of this city have delivered a clear message that the school board must focus on the essentials of delivering a well-run school system above all else,” Mayor London Breed said in a statement after the vote. “San Francisco is a city that believes in the value of big ideas, but those ideas must be built on the foundation of a government that does the essentials well.”

The recall effort started in January 2021 after the Marxist school board members were busy working to rename 44 schools that honored historical figures like Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington rather than focusing on reopening schools.

This is an important development and hopefully sends an important  message about priorities and what matters and its not about CRT so need for anyone to get triggered 

@Hurlshot Not sure what you think about this but its in your state?

Yeah, can't have teachers not following the party line... Come to think of it, It sounds familiar somehow 🤔

Warning: This story was brought to you by Fox News. Treat as such.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just now, Gorth said:

Yeah, can't have teachers not following the party line... Come to think of it, It sounds familiar somehow 🤔

Warning: This story was brought to you by Fox News. Treat as such.

Okay but I saw it on CNN and it was discussed on Reality Check by John Avlon and he doesnt repeat any right wing hyperbole but normally criticizes it so its credible 

https://edition.cnn.com/specials/us/john-avlon-reality-check

John Milton 

And the panic goes up again... At this point it just feels like US wants this panic to go on and on. I'm betting some dem lawmakers holding call options at 100USD and some push to mke oil more expensive so shale can work again... 

I would not be surprised that it was US special forces using mortars to draw accusiations from both sides in Donbas and start a shooting conflict there. (as credible theory as a false flag action from russians at this point) 

Fearmorgering continues, with Russia invasion imminent. 

I guess we will have to wait until Feb 20th when the Belarus and Russia are planned to finish their exercise

Well, it's not working on me. I'm not afraid of anything. 

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Okay but I saw it on CNN and it was discussed on Reality Check by John Avlon and he doesnt repeat any right wing hyperbole but normally criticizes it so its credible 

https://edition.cnn.com/specials/us/john-avlon-reality-check

Honestly, CNN is only slightly less bad than Fox, except with the opposite bias (pro Dem vs. pro GOP). Got any actual links (besides the Fox copy paste site)?

Edit: at least you know with Fox, if they get anything more than the town name right, it's accidental and not on purpose. Their sports results are a bit harder to falsify, so those may be close to the truth...

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Honestly, CNN is only slightly less bad than Fox, except with the opposite bias (pro Dem vs. pro GOP). Got any actual links (besides the Fox copy paste site)?

Edit: at least you know with Fox, if they get anything more than the town name right, it's accidental and not on purpose. Their sports results are a bit harder to falsify, so those may be close to the truth...

Are you asking for other links apart from that one and how it was raised on CNN?

John Milton 

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Well, it's not working on me. I'm not afraid of anything. 

Yes but you an ex-Marine, the rest of us are terrified :teehee:

• Haha 1

John Milton 

18 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes but you an ex-Marine, the rest of us are terrified :teehee:

Why be terrified of things that in no way, shape or means can you effect? Things (not just this, but anything) outside of your control will either happen or it won't, you worrying about it only affects you.  Better to put effort in things you can control (preparedness or mitigation at your personal level).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

37 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Are you asking for other links apart from that one and how it was raised on CNN?

Yes, because the second link doesn't mention anything about the subject. Might be the right person, but the wrong story.

I don't know, "The King of Stocks" doesn't sound like a reliable source to me. Doubly so when they start ranting about "far-left Marxists" or whatever.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/voters-oust-san-francisco-school-board-members-in-special-recall-election

Voter turnout was expected to be low. Only 20% of registered voters' ballots counted through Monday have been returned.

Additionally: https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/school-board-recall-signals-strange-bedfellows-of-san-francisco-politics/

The unlikely alliance includes: a populist coalition of parents outraged that the board focused on renaming schools rather than reopening classrooms during the pandemic; and right-of-center millionaires without substantive ties to local public education who have funneled large sums into the recall effort, which totals $1.9 million.

But here in San Francisco, the recall campaign is not centered around debates facing other school districts, such as textbooks, trans student participation in sports or critical race theory. Nearly half of the funds behind the recall have come from large donations from people who have no clear connection to San Francisco public schools, and much of it was sent through a slew of groups with different names and unclear roots.

Take Neighbors for a Better San Francisco, a political action committee based in San Rafael. It is the single largest contributor to the recall campaign, providing $488,800 to various arms of the movement. The PAC’s biggest donor is local hedge fund manager William Oberndorf, who gave $600,000 to Neighbors for a Better San Francisco in 2021. (Oberndorf also gave $1 million to Republican Senator Mitch McConnell’s PAC in 2020).

Other donors include technology investor David Sacks, who gave $74,500 directly to the recall campaign, according to San Francisco ethics filings (and also hosted a fundraiser for Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis), and Jessica Livingston, a Palo Alto resident who co-founded a startup incubator and gave $45,000 to the Concerned Parents of San Francisco PAC.

Retired venture capitalist Arthur Rock has also flooded numerous recall campaign groups with dollars. He gave $100,000 to Campaign for Better San Francisco Public Schools, according to filings, as well as $50,000 to Neighbors for a Better San Francisco and $350,000 to the Concerned Parents of San Francisco Committee, according to reporting from the San Francisco Standard.

Perhaps the most far afield pillar of support for the recall has come from the California Association of Realtors. Citing its support for San Francisco families, the organization gave nearly $85,000 to various recall groups.

So it started out because butthurt parents wanted to offload their kids on the schools, got a ton of cash pumped into it, and was decided by what appears to be a low turnout.

Edited by KP the Torque Dork
formatting
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

35 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I'm sure you are prepared even for a runaway inflation and a civil unrest leading to a bloody revolution 😂

LOL not as prepared as I used to be! I had the perfect homestead to survive the fiscal apocalypse but I sold it.

But @Amentepis, of course, correct. He usually is. There really is no need to worry about anything. If I can do something about it there is no need to worry about it and if I can't and it's out of my control there is still no need to worry.

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just now, Guard Dog said:

LOL not as prepared as I used to be! I had the perfect homestead to survive the fiscal apocalypse but I sold it.

But @Amentepis, of course, correct. He usually is. There really is no need to worry about anything. If I can do something about it there is no need to worry about it and if I can't and it's out of my control there is still no need to worry.

Who are you and what did you do the real Guard Dog! 😠

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Yes, because the second link doesn't mention anything about the subject. Might be the right person, but the wrong story.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-board-recall-election-san-francisco-three-members/

John Milton 

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Nooo, I don't want to disable my ad blocker, but it's Ok now. I read the links KP provided for a bit more insight into what is really behind the story 👍

From the Domestic stuff... for once not involving our beloved PM (/sarcasm), something that almost belongs in the Good News thread:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60411622

Australia's largest coal-fired power station will close seven years earlier than planned, as its operator says it is increasingly unable to compete with the "influx of renewables".

I foresee a *LOT* of hefty donations to The Liberal Party in the near future... probably in order to create some kind of legal obstacles that will disallow them to close.

Last week, rival energy giant AGL said it would bring forward by several years the closure of its two biggest coal-fired power plants.

Meanwhile, Energy Australia said in 2021 that one of the country's most polluting power stations, Yallourn in Victoria, would close four years earlier than scheduled.

Time to retire the fossilized carbon industry to the world of fossils...

• Gasp! 1

19 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

GD how is life in Wisconsin compared to Tennessee? Are the people any different, more friendly or less friendly 

And have you tried any of that famous Wisconsin 10+ year old mature cheddar cheese, you must try it and let me know what it is like...its one of my bucket list items before I die 🧀

John Milton