Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

18 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Speaking of mayo,

6 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Also, there's exactly three kinds of ketchup to buy here

ketchup (tomato) and mayo is so ubiquitous they create an expectation issue. 

we have made ketchup a few times and the problem is we would never make our version the only ketchup offering for somebody who wanted ketchup with their french fries, 'cause in the US, heinz = ketchup. when an american wants ketchup with whatever, chances are what they actual want is heinz ketchup. our version involves a couple pints worth o' cherry tomatoes puree which were pressed through a fine mesh strainer to which we add some kinda vinegar, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper, which we then simmer and reduce by' bout 1/2. our homemade involves a fair amount o' effort... and is guaranteed to disappoint most people who want ketchup.

mayo is having a similar issue. if you grew up with duke's or hellman's, then those is what you think o' as mayo and chances are any replacement is gonna taste weird. mayonnaise is a french mother sauces and it is endlessly adaptable. is also far easier to make mayo at home than is ketchup and it can be delicious, but as a sandwich spread, if somebody is expecting dukes and they get Gromnir's version, they is gonna wonder at the "funny" taste.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

Whoever made your meatball image clearly has ketchup on... well, pasta. :p Ugh.

What are you dissing Felix ketchup for, it's the only edible ketchup there is (the sugar reduced variety, at that, less sweet). Hela is okay in a pinch. Heinz is vile. :p

Yeah, macaronis! That's what you have to macaroni! 😄

It's completely inedible, they even managed to make it even worse when they removed sukralose, somehow, but I guess that's why their tagline here is "Felix makes Sweden tastier". Heinz doesn't have a tagline, because they don't need to brag. There is a reason you don't get Felix' ketchup in fastfood stalls, because they'd be empty 😄

Helas curry ketchup is extremely popular with fries here along with "potato seasoning". Dammit, I'm getting cravings for a special now 🤤

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

ketchup (tomato) and mayo is so ubiquitous they create an expectation issue. 

we have made ketchup a few times and the problem is we would never make our version the only ketchup offering for somebody who wanted ketchup with their french fries, 'cause in the US, heinz = ketchup. when an american wants ketchup with whatever, chances are what they actual want is heinz ketchup. our version involves a couple pints worth o' cherry tomatoes puree which were pressed through a fine mesh strainer to which we add some kinda vinegar, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper, which we then simmer and reduce by' bout 1/2. our homemade involves a fair amount o' effort... and is guaranteed to disappoint most people who want ketchup.

mayo is having a similar issue. if you grew up with duke's or hellman's, then those is what you think o' as mayo and chances are any replacement is gonna taste weird. mayonnaise is a french mother sauces and it is endlessly adaptable. is also far easier to make mayo at home than is ketchup and it can be delicious, but as a sandwich spread, if somebody is expecting dukes and they get Gromnir's version, they is gonna wonder at the "funny" taste.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, it's definetly noticeable, I grew up with Heinz ketchup, and Felix at the time had sucralose sweetener in it which tastes vile to my family. I'm far less picky with mayo though, but I definetly prefer homemade. I definetly would say that ketchup is easier to make at home though, that bloody emulsification drives me nuts...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh, boy, I just realized that none of y'all likely know what a Swedish "special" is... Oh, this will be ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS. You all are going to be soooo triggered;

324745568_515506240689372_90899876783472

Behold... the magnificient "Hel special"; Hot dog bun with two hotdogs or a thicker variant typically with mustard and ketchup, with mashed potatoes with ketchup and shrimp salad ontop 🤤

I'm not even joking though, it's amazingly good once you find the toppings you like.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, macaronis! That's what you have to macaroni! 😄

Macaroni is a type of noodle... :p

7 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

It's completely inedible, they even managed to make it even worse when they removed sukralose, somehow, but I guess that's why their tagline here is "Felix makes Sweden tastier". Heinz doesn't have a tagline, because they don't need to brag. There is a reason you don't get Felix' ketchup in fastfood stalls, because they'd be empty 😄

It is entirely possible that there's a different export recipe, all I know is that Felix is a damned sight better than Heinz, but I have noticed similar discrepancies with other food. For instance, a lot of people I interacted with told me that McDonald's food is vile. Now, while their fries aren't great and the food is, well, McDonald's, it is a far cry from being vile. The patties are regularily overcooked and therefore a little on the dry side, but you can't reasonably expect properly medium grilled patties at a McDonald's.

I never really understood that until I visited a McDonald's on Malta, and that was indeed vile. From YouTube I learned that McDonald's in Germany is much better than in the US, and while I don't know if that applies to the chain across the entire US, McDonald's in Germany is - while better than in Malta, at least - still a far cry below what we get from them here in terms of taste and ingredient quality.

Oh, also, that is only true for the regular ketchup. The Felix hot varieties aren't good. The seasonal varieties are miss and hit, although I don't know if you actually get any of them. The onion one is not particularily great, but onion and garlic is good enough for red meat. The weirdest one was ketchup and plum, which tasted pretty good on its own, but did not mesh particularily well with any meat.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 minute ago, Azdeus said:

Oh, boy, I just realized that none of y'all likely know what a Swedish "special" is... Oh, this will be ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS. You all are going to be soooo triggered;

Behold... the magnificient "Hel special"; Hot dog bun with two hotdogs or a thicker variant typically with mustard and ketchup, with mashed potatoes with ketchup and shrimp salad ontop 🤤

I'm not even joking though, it's amazingly good once you find the toppings you like.

Every time you eat something like that, God kills a kitten.

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I definetly would say that ketchup is easier to make at home though, that bloody emulsification drives me nuts...

if you ever win some kinda national award, we expect you to mention Gromnir as am about to blow your mind with a time-saver video recipe.

compared to the effort pressing tomato goo through a fine mesh strainer alternating with a flexible spatula and a rigid tablespoon (perhaps 2x,) the mayo is diabolical simple.

as mentioned, the drawback for homemade mayo is it is not reasonable to try and make less than one egg's worth o' mayo, which means you end up with a fair amount o' mayo and that maybe lasts five-to-seven days in the fridge.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Macaroni is a type of noodle... :p

It is entirely possible that there's a different export recipe, all I know is that Felix is a damned sight better than Heinz, but I have noticed similar discrepancies with other food. For instance, a lot of people I interacted with told me that McDonald's food is vile. Now, while their fries aren't great and the food is, well, McDonald's, it is a far cry from being vile. The patties are regularily overcooked and therefore a little on the dry side, but you can't reasonably expect properly medium grilled patties at a McDonald's.

I never really understood that until I visited a McDonald's on Malta, and that was indeed vile. From YouTube I learned that McDonald's in Germany is much better than in the US, and while I don't know if that applies to the chain across the entire US, McDonald's in Germany is - while better than in Malta, at least - still a far cry below what we get from them here in terms of taste and ingredient quality.

Oh, also, that is only true for the regular ketchup. The Felix hot varieties aren't good. The seasonal varieties are miss and hit, although I don't know if you actually get any of them. The onion one is not particularily great, but onion and garlic is good enough for red meat. The weirdest one was ketchup and plum, which tasted pretty good on its own, but did not mesh particularily well with any meat.

That simply does not compute for me, a noodle is spaghetti and also what you get in asian food. I tried once when I was out of spaghetti to use macaroni instead for my pasta sauce and it was all kinds of wrong, it even tasted wrong 😂

They might be better nowadays, but they used artificial sweeteners here, and that taste is abhorrent to me. I've never really been outside of Sweden, so I've never compared things like McDonalds to other countries McDonalds, but from what my Canadian relatives tell me, ours is real good comparatively; Though as you say, it's still McD. I think Felix does release most variants here aswell, they're fairly popular and it's a "Swedish" company. I don't really keep tabs though honestly. In the link on the previous page I noticed black pepper variant and a "hot" variant.

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Every time you eat something like that, God kills a kitten.

Not lying, it's great, and it's available everywhere here. So I reason it like this, if we were to stop eating that, the world would be taken over by cats - hence, we're keeping the world safe! 😄

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

if you ever win some kinda national award, we expect you to mention Gromnir as am about to blow your mind with a time-saver video recipe.

compared to the effort pressing tomato goo through a fine mesh strainer alternating with a flexible spatula and a rigid tablespoon (perhaps 2x,) the mayo is diabolical simple.

as mentioned, the drawback for homemade mayo is it is not reasonable to try and make less than one egg's worth o' mayo, which means you end up with a fair amount o' mayo and that maybe lasts five-to-seven days in the fridge.

HA! Good Fun!

Hah, that's definetly easier! I'm on the skill level of being able to strain the tomato paste without problems, it's tedious, but easy - emulsifying that bloody mayonnaise though is beyond me. Unless I use a mixer apparently! That amount of mayo though, not a problem, going to have to eat alot of meatball sandwiches though 😄

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

First, that is a damn dirty lie, it shouldn't be allowed to be shown without a trigger warning

I guess for Swedes good food is triggering.

26 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

This is a crime against humanity. What the hell is wrong with the food in your country? Y'all are eating like the Germans are bombing you.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 minutes ago, Space KP, Baby said:

I guess for Swedes good food is triggering.

This is a crime against humanity. What the hell is wrong with the food in your country? Y'all are eating like the Germans are bombing you.

It's okay, I'm sure you can put some pumpkin spice marshmallows or a spraycan of "cheese" ontop, you heathen! 😄

2 hours ago, Space KP, Baby said:

This is a crime against humanity. What the hell is wrong with the food in your country?

You're talking about people who eat surströmming

(insert long list of health hazards and adverse effects to your sanity)

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

You had me up until shrimp salad, but Id probably eat it in a drunken pinch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

You had me up until shrimp salad, but Id probably eat it in a drunken pinch.

It's common fast food, so you see alot of that yeah, but it's most often eaten during lunchbreak :)

• Like 1

I've been doing quite well on my diet; in celebration I'm doing a cheat day tomorrow and I'm going to make a Margherita pizza. Last time I made this, probably about 4 months ago, it was the most delicious pizza I've had since leaving Connecticut many years ago. The pizza is pretty much the only thing I miss about Connecticut, the best I've been able to find here in the Charlotte area, Simonetti's in Belmont, would be a middle of the road mom & pop pizza place up in the frozen north. They make a pretty good Margherita, I'd say it's their best pie, but the one I made was better than that, so hopefully history repeats itself tomorrow.🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just now, Keyrock said:

I've been doing quite well on my diet; in celebration I'm doing a cheat day tomorrow and I'm going to make a Margherita pizza. Last time I made this, probably about 4 months ago, it was the most delicious pizza I've had since leaving Connecticut many years ago. The pizza is pretty much the only thing I miss about Connecticut, the best I've been able to find here in the Charlotte area, Simonetti's in Belmont, would be a middle of the road mom & pop pizza place up in the frozen north. They make a pretty good Margherita, I'd say it's their best pie, but the one I made was better than that, so hopefully history repeats itself tomorrow.🤞

I made pizza around New Year's, Margherita and prosciutto with fig. Very good but too carb heavy for regular eating.

I'm doing OK on diet, but this morning I had a hangover celebration meal of going to Whataburger and getting a chicken strip sandwich with honey butter instead of barbecue sauce and onion rings. It's good, but has enough calories to send a man to the moon.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Whataburger is delicious but everything there has approximately 8 billion calories. When I used to drive to Texas fairly regularly my go to was the Monterey Melt.

• Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Celebrated with crepes after eating pizza all week.

Was delicious with some ketchup 😛

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 3

On 2/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, Azdeus said:

Celebrated with crepes after eating pizza all week.

Was delicious with some ketchup 😛

was the ketchup for the crepes, pizza or both? is a little vague and your recent posts indicate we should not make assumptions.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

was the ketchup for the crepes, pizza or both? is a little vague and your recent posts indicate we should not make assumptions.

HA! Good Fun!

Good point, it was supposed to be about the crepes actually. But it's funny either way 😄

In truth though I used a sweet chili sauce for the crepes since I used heavily spiced minced meat as filling, the pizzas were kebab-pizza and as such "kebab sauce", spicy variant, was used - as is tradition. 😄

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Kebab Pizza looks delicious.😳

They're pretty dope, usually the kebab is pork, but I prefer beef if it's available.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:42 PM, Azdeus said:

unholy image

I don't even like mac-n-cheese, but I'll take that over what I have seen here. Noodles with ketchup? Good lord.

On 1/27/2023 at 5:28 PM, Gromnir said:

As a pretty proud hater of ketchup, I would at least try the stuff you made to see if I feel any differently about it. Haven't found one I liked yet, but you never know...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

usually the kebab is pork

blinking-smile.gif

But pork is haram. It's the haram food. It's so haram that almost nothing else is next to it...

Anyway, kebab pizza is pretty good. It's been a staple of our (numerous) Turkish fast food places for so long that I never would have guessed it originated in Sweden. 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1