Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

Non-traditional Tea Leaf Rice Salad using iceberg, cabbage, and avocado.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Roasted chicken, steamed cauliflower, and rice. Not the tastiest thing I've ever eaten, but very healthy.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

roast chicken is in our regular rotation and consistent makes a once-every-two-week appearance. am going the spatch**** + broiler route for even crispiness o' skin on our chicken and we ordinary make gravy 'cause am less a fan o' chicken breasts and the gravy makes more 'em more appetizing. with removed backbone, neck and giblets, am making gravy while am cooking the chicken, so is not particular time consuming. the only arguable unhealthy ingredient in the gravy is 2T o' butter for the roux and considering is enough gravy for the entire bird, am not feeling guilty.

frequent am steaming broccoli and other vegetables, but cauliflower is almost always receiving a roasted with garlic approach. 

we do make extravagant meals for friends and family, but our roast chicken is consistent a top ten request... though our baked mac & cheese has a firm hold on the number one spot.   

speaking o' simple and tasty, we made spaghetti all'assassina for dinner. is one o' those recipes we has seen everywhere this last year or so but that don't make it less delicious.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

23 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Easter Feast Mode Activated

gZaSl5G.jpeg

Reported for no canned tuna.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 4/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, ShadySands said:

Easter so deviled eggs.

we had a small handful o' guests for easter and we did the bit where you poach eggs in the shell, which doesn't make 'em taste better but it allowed us to be all dramatic when serving something kinda basic. had the poached eggs served multiple ways depending on diner preference. 

had three soups: chilled cucumber, pazole rojo, and a yellow split pea as well as crusty fresh bread. soups were all made ahead o' time. thank goodness. honest, we chose the soups more for the color than any. we were going for bright. 

edit: we also had two salads. am not a fan o' leafy green salads save for caesar salad. there were no caesar salad and one 'o the salads were a kale thing, and am not a fan o' kale. almost forgot the salads as they were brought by guests. were not bad salads, but they were salads. 

lamb breast stew, which ain't particular traditional but it were something we could make the day before as stew is almost always superior the next day. 

we didn't make any kinda a desert 'cause one guest told us she were bringing apple tarte tatin. were magnificent. our favorite part o' the meal.

relative low effort for Gromnir and the only thing he had to make on easter were the eggs and a couple sauces.

no hardboiled eggs, but if we did do hardboiled, we woulda made deviled eggs. am having no idea where our piping bag is. am recalling looking for it a couple months previous and came up empty. is not so much the bag as the absent tips/nibs/whatever which is problematic as am knowing we could use a ziploc in a pinch.

no kids this easter. no kids made easter less festive.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Somebody's pregnant wife was rampaging through my kitchen this morning complaining there was nothing to eat and just being generally not chill. As an offering to appease the angry person, I made them an avocado toast with whatever we had.

Toasted a large slice of bread in a pan and fried some Mexican cheese blend on one side, plated that cheese side down and spread avocado mixture (avocado, lemon juice, salt) on top. Chopped up some cherry tomats, squeezed out most of the juice, and sprinkled that all over the avocado then made a green onion-tajin sour cream in the blender and drizzled it over the maters. to finish I shredded a hard-boiled egg in a pile on top and then hit it with a dash of chipotle chili powder.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Somebody's pregnant wife was rampaging through my kitchen this morning complaining there was nothing to eat and just being generally not chill. As an offering to appease the angry person, I made them an avocado toast with whatever we had.

am incapable o' complaining while am a guest, save for when am paying for the guest-right such as staying at a hotel. have endured countless terrible meals, freezing temps, extreme heat and ill-trained pets/children with silent resolve 'cause the alternative is so antithetical to the way we were raised. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

I'm with you on that one.

In elementary my best friend's mom was a terrible cook and even though I tried to avoid eating dinner with them, sometimes I just had to sit there silently and shovel some of the worst food of my short life into my mouth, and gulp it down with a polite smile.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Sad 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

My mom tried to raise me that way, but...no surprise for anyone here I'm sure, it didn't work on account of me being an inhuman monster. Indeed, as a child, I made the mistake of saying I didn't like the texture of a strawberry-rhubarb bar thing* at a large family gathering thingy. Some hurt feelings later, I learned that day I would just never eat at a family gathering or practically anywhere else outside my own home ever again if I could possibly avoid it, no matter how hungry I was. Better to always come up with some reason why I couldn't eat: I feel very sick, I already ate, I think I'm allergic, it gives me headaches, I might have celiac disease...whatever you need me to say say so that I don't have to eat your food without hurting your feelings, just tell me and I'll say it. It did have the side-effect of making me better appreciate my mom's cooking though, I can only imagine how much more miserable my childhood would've been if I had been stuck with some other midwestern floozy who didn't know how to make anything Mexican or Asian.

*it was more of a strawberry-rhubarb goop than a bar, really - my gosh, aunt veronica, learn how to use an oven before you kill us with that crap

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Makowiec with rum soaked raisins and topped with chopped hazelnuts:

AQlkziT.jpeg

eKDaWx9.jpeg

I cook fairly regularly but I very rarely bake, however this came out spectacularly good.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, I heard the newest advert from the Trump folks (I doubt Trump himself had anything to do with it, it's his supporters) making fun of DeSantis for apparently eating pudding with his fingers. I was like hang on, why is that bad or embarrassing? I've done that before, I've eaten all kinds of things with my fingers. God supplied my with a pair of rather handy and functional utensils at the ends of my arms, why wouldn't I use them? I mean, I wash my hands before I eat so my fingers are clean. What's the issue here? 

Anyway, I'm not a DeSantis supporter, I have no plans to vote for him at the moment, but that's neither here nor there. This isn't about politics. I got some pudding and I'm going to eat it with my fingers to stand in solidarity with my fellow finger pudding eaters. We will not be shamed!

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Hunt for Mexico’s Heirloom Beans

The Rancho Gordo Bean Club

am still on the waitlist for the bean club.

the domingo rojo is our goto option when we make our good red beans and rice recipe.  our splurge replacement for black beans when am making soup is the ayocote morado. have never personal tried the mayacoba but we saw a spot from atk where the bean was described as tasting, "like candied bacon." serious?

we also have a bean whisperer t-shirt from rancho gordo which gets more than a few stares.

HA! Good Fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Not what I'm eating but what I'm trying to drink.

Water+ a slice of lemon - eh, I don't like lemon water.
Water+ some kind of orange related fruit - better but still not my thing
Water+a small piece of watermelon - oddly palatable but I'd never use up a whole melon b4 it went bad
...maybe I'll try a small slice of cantaloupe and honeydew next.

Yes I find plain water boring to drink all day, except when one is overheated/dying of thirst. Everything else has a gazillion grams of sugar/carbs tho. I wonder what a drop of vanilla in water would be like.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

mentioned previous how contrary to a few myths, watermelon freezes excellent. as a drink ingredient, am finding the best application is to puree or juice a seedless watermelon and then freeze the result in icecube trays. juicing requires a bit o' effort as you are gonna be using a blender or food processor to liquify the watermelon and then forcing the goo through a fine mesh strainer to remove all the solids. puree is incredible simple and results in watermelon drinks with a bit o' solids akin to pulpy orange juice. don't worry if your puree looks a bit thick. 'cause o' science, freezing breaks the watermelon puree down further as the formation o' ice crystals is like thousands o' little knives ripping the watermelon from inside-out. once the puree defrosts, it is tending to be far more liquidy then when you first freeze it... and am ok with the fact liquidy is not a real word.

the resulting puree or juice ice cubes may be stored for a considerable period o' time in a freezer safe container. we ordinary run out o' frozen watermelon 'round christmas or new years.

also, do not throw away the rinds... or at least not all o' the rind. one o' summer's most overlooked treats is watermelon pickles. is many online recipes for watermelon pickles so feel free to pick one which looks good/ez/whatever. traditional ratio is 1:1:1 for sugar, water and vinegar, but we tend to go a bit light on the sugar; somewheres 'tween 1/2 and 3/4 cup. if you are using one(ish) cup each o' the aforementioned, am recommending a bit more than one tablespoon o' salt. personal we use a vegetable peeler on ginger and add a few strips to the pickling mix but spice/flavours you do for quick pickles is gonna work for the watermelon. 

HA! Good Fun!

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Yes I find plain water boring to drink all day, except when one is overheated/dying of thirst. Everything else has a gazillion grams of sugar/carbs tho. I wonder what a drop of vanilla in water would be like.

What about water on mint leaves? Or mint & lemon? Not sure about vanilla, but I can testify for a drop or two of quince syrup, gives nice, subtle taste and pleasant aroma. 

Never even heard of watermelon rind pickles until today, but kind of makes sense as those rinds taste a bit like cucumbers, that is, really bland. Watermelon with vodka is a very good thing, though. :yes:

1 hour ago, bugarup said:

Never even heard of watermelon rind pickles until today, but kind of makes sense as those rinds taste a bit like cucumbers, that is, really bland. 

leave 'bout 1⁄4" o' pink watermelon flesh attached to the rind but remove all the green skin. compared to pickled cucumber, the results is... different.

that said, even a small watermelon is gonna produce a couple quart's worth o' rind, which probable means most o' your rind is ending up as compost in any event, but is nevertheless worth trying at least once.

HA! Good Fun!

I generally don't like mint. Or coffee, or tea.

I do love watermelon/melons but for myself who has to avoid carbs it's too much vs spoilage. Although sometimes you can buy cut sections vs. a whole one, or those small tubs of precut cubes or something. I remember when I got out of the hospital,and immediately on release we went to the store to buy diet-appropriate stuff. My still-addled brain was full of nurse talk of "fresh fruit and veggies" and the store had whole watermelons outside. I go "fresh fruit!" and grabbed two and hubby was all like "wut? u sure?" Yeah, I learned quickly anything but very small amounts of most fruit did not help blood sugar levels, at least in my case. 🤣

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

is some folks who spend max effort explaining why they cannot do. 

*shrug*

freeze watermelon puree or juice in ice cube trays avoids the spoilage quandary. one small watermelon is gonna yield puree enough to flavour drinks for a long time.  if an individual enjoys watermelon flavored drinks as indicated earlier, freezing the puree o' the melon would appear to be a solution... unless the person is not genuine looking for solutions.

HA! Good Fun!