Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Making chitlins, short ribs, polenta, and collard greens. Wife bought rolls and meats and cheese for a charcuterie board. Cousin is bringing drinks and pie and other friends are bringing brussel sprouts and maybe something else. Pics later maybe.

occurred to us 'bout a month ago our short ribs recipe and pot roast is near identical save we use more red wine for the ribs and no prunes. am gonna add prunes next time we make the short ribs, 'cause why not?

good luck with dinner. for us, dinner is ordinarily the ez part and is family which makes the day difficult.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Chocolate chip cookies.

So a couple of things, between the brown butter and cane sugar instead of white sugar, these things are much darker than normal. Secondly I used too much chocolate chunks and the structural integrity of some cookies was compromised. That said, they are some damn good cookies. The brown butter makes a world of difference while the hint of bourbon and cinnamon works with that toffee-like flavor to round them out.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

One of my brothers is Vegan and he came to Cpt for business and we went to Vegan breakfast place yesterday, the restaurant is called The Conscious Kitchen

https://www.theconsciouskitchen.co.za/

I had the full Vegan breakfast and it wasnt bad at all, not like a proper English breakfast but I was very happy with there Vegan bacon, sausage and tofu " scrambled eggs  ". I would order it again if I was in a Vegan environment 🥗

20210530_04076-2.jpg

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Low sodium chicken broth, a chunk of pork shoulder roast (I slow-cook a couple of those each week), diced tomatoes (yes, canned ones, I don't drain them), jalapeno/spices and the below into a big pot:
food-009.jpg

I've basically been eating it once, sometimes twice a day for some weeks now. It's winter-warm/spicy and isn't a rabbit salad.
I keep making bigger and bigger batches because hubby keeps "stealing" it so it doesn't last long. 😁
food-010.jpg

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Tuna mac and cheese

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My wife's reaction as well but it's homemade Tuna Helper basically. I kept it fairly simple because I wasn't sure if my family was going to like it, especially after the weird looks. They ended up killing the whole batch. It's super flexible and I highly recommend it. You can use box mac and cheese or make it from scratch and punch it up however you like it. It was a staple growing up being it's cheap, easy, and shelf stable.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

My wife's reaction as well but it's homemade Tuna Helper basically. I kept it fairly simple because I wasn't sure if my family was going to like it, especially after the weird looks. They ended up killing the whole batch. It's super flexible and I highly recommend it. You can use box mac and cheese or make it from scratch and punch it up however you like it. It was a staple growing up being it's cheap, easy, and shelf stable.

I've had tuna and noodle casserole before but cheese on fish, especially tuna, is usually a big no from me.

as shady observed, tuna is a shelf stable and relative cheap protein, so we saw it often enough as a sprout. canned tuna and cheese were not uncommon grandma meals, and our personal arsenal o' recipes benefit from their inclusion. am also having a cod au gratin dish which is a win.  got a couple outliers  o' parmesan + fish and greek feta + fish, but canned tuna and cheese is hardly unknowns at our table.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The world's greatest hacker who has discovered all the dirty secrets from his mobile command center in the Nevada desert eats tuna straight from the can, no need to sully it with either macaroni or cheese.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Tuna was ruined for me by some Portuguese fishermen neighbors. They would give us jars of tuna filets in olive oil. It was amazing, but now I can't touch the grocery canned stuff. We also moved and lost touch with the fishermen, so now my life is empty. 

We used to get fresh salmon that way too. :(

aside, am not a fan o' the tuna melt sandwich, but we do recommend the hatch chile tuna melt from chula seafood grayhawk in scottsdale, az.

am recalling there is more than one chula seafood location, but am personal having only been to the scottsdale establishment.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I just got back from Christmas vacation down in southern Florida. I'm too lazy to cook and I'm not going back on the diet right away so I'm eating a Margherita pizza from Simonetti's and drinking beer.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

am not pennsylvania dutch. no dutch or german in our family tree. however, our grandfather's roommate in university were penn dutch or german or some mix and one new years our grandfather shared the family traditions with said roomate. sauerkraut and pork. our grandfather much enjoyed the meal and once he married our grandmother would make sauerkraut and pork every new years. we always eat saurkraut and pork on new years eve.  so it goes.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

The usual end-of-year decadence. Smoked salmon on toasted bread with a cream and horseradish sauce and gravadlax with a mustard dill sauce. The good stuff has limited availability* and a price to match, but hey, YOLO, right? :p

*In Central Yurop, at least. Probably a bit different in Norway...

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

We had company over and my wife tried a new recipe (to us), Mississippi pot roast, and it turned out fantastic. Its our new favorite. Home made mashed potatoes and oven roasted asparagus in olive oil w/ shredded parmesan over the top for the sides. Then we all got hit by an Epsolon tequila truck. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Mississippi pot roast

It's great, I recommend it. Great tip I got from Gromnir for regular pot roast that I also use for Mississippi pot roast, add a few prunes. Nobody knows it's in there but the subtle sweetness it elevates the taste. I do mine in the pressure cooker now and I don't even bother removing them anymore, I just shred them in with the meat.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

The recipe she used was very simple, only 4 ingredients; 3 Lb meat, a package of au jus gravy, a package of ranch dressing and 6 oz of pepperoncini with the juice. Then everyone in the crockpot for 4 hours. I really like the bitterness/vinegary-ness of the pepperoncini, so I think the dates would diminish that?

• Like 1