Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

The white meat from crocodiles is actually quite delicious (imho)

image.jpeg.ad1f346145ad6915d6ec0426d4a73edf.jpeg

Edit: so many T-Rex’es can’t be wrong, lizard meat is good

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

we find alligator meat palatable and even delicious when prepared by somebody who knows what they is doing (not Gromnir,) though am thinking there is an over reliance on serving gator deep fried here in the US. as such the tin o' crocodile pâté don't particular scare us. 

alligator liver were a unique culinary experience for us, one which we never wish to repeat... evar.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

17 hours ago, Gorth said:

The white meat from crocodiles is actually quite delicious (imho)

image.jpeg.ad1f346145ad6915d6ec0426d4a73edf.jpeg

Edit: so many T-Rex’es can’t be wrong, lizard meat is good

It surprises me how many people I know would immediately say no to crocodile and yet its very tasty, the last time I had it was 2 years ago and it reminded me of chicken ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Never had anything "exotic" like that but I would've been willing to try at least a small bite out of that can. I'm always willing. It might be that after that first bite I'll swear off the thing forever (like "plain/fresh" poi, gag)... but hey, don't know unless you've tried it that one time, so...

...I always hear poi described as being starchy and a tiny bit sweet. But to me it tasted like that white crafts putty/paste from elementary school (which yes I tasted) mixed with moldy dirt. Course I also think black coffee (any quality) tastes like bitter/acrid dirt, so, YMMV.

...I still don't understand why I think brewing coffee smells so good but tastes so horrible. Isn't smell a large part of taste? Ah well whatever.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

...I still don't understand why I think brewing coffee smells so good but tastes so horrible. Isn't smell a large part of taste? Ah well whatever.

You would think so. But the Swedish claims that Surstroemning is a delicacy... despite the smell being capable of knocking out a trench full of gas mask wearing infantry, so it seems to work both ways (the dissociation between smell and taste) 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

is always good to keep in mind "exotic" is relative. in the past we visited japan every year or so. had an acquaintance and to pay 'em back for repeated hospitality, and per their request, we cooked his family a quintessential american meal they were unlikely to see on the menu at denny's or similar "western" family restaurants. we made 'em biscuits and gravy.

make breakfast sausage with ingredients available in japanese stores weren't too difficult. "biscuits" cause consternation 'cause what american calls biscuits is an outlier, but make homemade biscuits is easy and quick and the dairy we use for the biscuits am also using for the gravy... which is perhaps the real mind blower for japanese and most other asians. dairy-based gravy? 

their eleven-year-old daughter loved the meal, but... 

biscuits and gravy were perhaps too exotic for the ordinary japanese palate. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

38 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

biscuits and gravy were perhaps too exotic for the ordinary japanese palate. 

Looking at pictures of the stuff, not just for the average Japanese palate. :x

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

28 minutes ago, majestic said:

Looking at pictures of the stuff, not just for the average Japanese palate. :x

Reported

Assuming it's the sausage gravy that you find unappealing as opposed to the biscuit. American biscuit not a cookie or cracker or whatever wrong people (I kid) call a biscuit. It's super heavy so I rarely eat it but when I do I like it with over easy eggs and sometimes hot sauce.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Biscuits and gravy can be good, but for how heavy it is there's usually something better to eat. Anyone who would eat biscuits and gravy over chicken and waffles has terrible taste.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I like it with over easy eggs and sometimes hot sauce.

we did sunny side up eggs (wife demurred but the husband and daughter partook) and even found fresh sage in the local market, so we added fried sage leaves. the eggs, while served in a manner not common to most japanese kitchens, weren't deemed particular exotic so we didn't mention.

am highly recommending fried sage leaves for this meal btw. is a minor thing, but is one o' those additions which not only is adding welcome color, thus enhancing presentation, but is surprising tasty... perhaps even unexpected.  didn't come up with the sage idea on our own btw; is how a michelin breakfast place we visit often does it, so we stole the idea and make no apologies.

@majestic biscuits and gravy does indeed appear unappealing, particular if you have never seen similar. is a whole lotta not-americans who would never choose to eat biscuits and gravy based on a picture o' the meal.

am gonna note the family's daughter enjoyed her meal with visible and uncharacteristic gusto. she is probable graduating from college 'bout now and makes us wonder if she makes biscuits and gravy based on the recipe we left behind or if she perhaps used a search engine to replicate. while improbable, we like to imagine the oddball japanese girl grossing out her friends with the infrequent plate o' biscuits and gravy.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can overlook the heinous disrespect to biscuits and gravy, but anyone that so much as utters a single bad word about grits is dead to me.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I can overlook the heinous disrespect to biscuits and gravy, but anyone that so much as utters a single bad word about grits is dead to me.

Grits are incredibly good and versatile though. I mean I can see turning down biscuits and gravy, but who in their right mind (besides those with shellfish allergies) would turn down shrimp and grits?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I prefer plain grits, well, not plain-plain, but no meat or veggies or cheese. I'm an admitted weirdo though.

I can definitely get down on some grits with only a bit of butter and salt & pepper.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

17 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I prefer plain grits,

I misread that as "plain girls" and personal hilarity ensued.

...on topic, I don't like grits. Only starchy mush I like is mashed potatoes with lots of butter and garlic (homemade mashed, not the super smooth/blended, hardens into a mountainous lump purchased kind).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I do like (white) rice, but I wouldn't consider that a mushy food. I suppose the texture is soft but it's not all mushed together or porridge like. It's about the only thing I liked as a meal filler/extender (pastas, potatoes, starchy roots etc not my thing), maybe because I felt like it had almost no flavor on its own to interfere with or over dominate whatever I was putting over it. Sadly I can't really eat/use it anymore.

It's odd how I can love something like a total junk pizza (3-4 meats, veggies, onions, olives etc) with all the flavors but in most things I don't like too many strong flavors to mix. Terikyaki marinated something? Great. Dipping that in mustard or ranch? Nope.  Or ... I'd be very picky re sandwiches. "Junk" sandwiches like subs don't work, I only want a single meat type and (on cured meats) a few condiment toppings or (on fresh meats like roast beef) no condiments at all.

Edited by LadyCrimson

we made boogaloo wonderland sandwiches

we got a recipe which approximates a decent version o' the sauce. atk also has a recipe which is probable more accurate than what Gromnir does. our knock-off has near same ingredients as atk with a bit more vinegar and we replace the brown sugar with dark molasses. am reducing the molasses volume 'cause while is maybe less authentic, we prefer the sauce to be more smokey and less sweet. we use also abandon the chili powder and replace with ancho chile powder.

regardless, is more fun to say, "boogaloo wonderland," than to say "sloppy joes with cheese"... minus the green bell pepper but with more onions.

admission: we prefer jalapeño in our sloppy joes instead o' green bell pepper, and if we weren't making the boogaloo wonderland for somebody who had never previous tasted, we woulda' added jalapeño. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

Smashed burger.

LcSgvSh.jpeg

Nothing new to report, I just thought the burger was quite photogenic.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I made tacos and a huge batch of salsa for dinner last night. My wife doesn't normally like when I do ground meat tacos (I like it because it's fast and easy) but the Krogers here does a pork and beef blend that she's a huge fan of. 

Right now I'm craving a spicy chicken sandwich

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

33 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Right now I'm craving a spicy chicken sandwich

I just finished a spicy chicken sandwich. Well a hot chicken slider from Dave's, but it's a sandwich and the chicken was spicy so I'm counting it as one. Very good, chicken is juicy (and halal if that matters to you) and the kale slaw helps with the heat.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

Hubby: "I had one of your soft boiled eggs for lunch."  (I made a batch of a dozen last night)
Me: "Was it ok?"
Hubby: "Not sure how you do it but you're one of the most consistent with getting them just right/perfect I've ever known."
Me: "Oh..(me thinking it's a fairly basic thing) ...cool." :lol:

...I always use a stopwatch (I still have/use an old windup one, not digital), and accounting for the temp. drop when you add the eggs to water and all that. 3.5-4 minutes, tops. Do not walk away from the pot, the line is thin/unforgiving. People say use a slotted spoon to add the eggs but I use "scissor" tongs instead since you still have to roll the egg off the spoon and I don't do well with that I guess. Tongs for me = no cracked eggs at all.

And yes, I dislike hard boiled yolks a lot. The texture makes me think of overdone, next-day leftover beef liver or something and the flavor completely changes.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Hmmm 1