Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

45 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I removed strawberries from my smoothies and added mago. Wunderbar! I think Ill try cherries next week but theyre hella expensive in comparison to the other fruits.

You must try other fruit similar to  strawberries like blackberry, youngberries and blueberries in smoothies. Im not sure if you get them in Illinois?

I would be interested to see how cherry works? Also mix fruit up like banana and any berries is a nice combination 🍌

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, time for some food pictures.

FLMHRi4.jpg

Some homemade bread, fresh from the oven...

KFHMKMr.jpg

Local variant of goulash (more like pörkölt with no tomatoes) to go with it...

And finally, while that was made for tomorrow as it's a staple for Ash Wednesday, one has to, ah, sample it, right?

eXbGEb5.jpg

Herring salad. :)

Minor spoiler how the sauce of herring salad is traditionally made, don't click here if you're faint of heart:

Spoiler

It contains herring sperm...

Don't blame me for clicking, eh?

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, time for some food pictures.

FLMHRi4.jpg

Some homemade bread, fresh from the oven...

KFHMKMr.jpg

Local variant of goulash (more like pörkölt with no tomatoes) to go with it...

And finally, while that was made for tomorrow as it's a staple for Ash Wednesday, one has to, ah, sample it, right?

eXbGEb5.jpg

Herring salad. :)

Minor spoiler how the sauce of herring salad is traditionally made, don't click here if you're faint of heart:

Hide contents

It contains herring sperm...

Don't blame me for clicking, eh?

That looks delicious including the herring salad. I would eat it all 🍛

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm back on a carnivore-ish diet, less strict than last time.  Fruits and veggies are allowed, but I plan to eat them sparingly. All big carb sources like potatoes, bread, rice, and pasta are strictly forbidden.

I had coffee and plain Greek yogurt for breakfast. I snacked on zero sugar beef jerky while driving. I ate a pear before working out then had some bacon and string cheese after.  Good times!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 2/26/2022 at 2:21 PM, Keyrock said:

Meatloaf:

5o7phJS.jpeg

after years o' meatloaf experimentation we have recommendations:

1) do not bake in a loaf pan

you want the grease to drain away from your loaf, so use a broiler pan or something similar.  also, by cooking on a broiler pan, you may slather your ketchup coat on all sides o' the loaf save for the bottom. our personal choice o' meatloaf topping is 1/3c ketchup, 1T yellow mustard, 2t brown sugar. if you are using something like heinz ketchup you may likely skip the brown sugar as is already on the sweet side. 

if you need to do in a loaf pan 'cause is how mom did, or somesuch, then consider buying the disposable aluminum loaf pans available in most soopermarkets and punching holes in the bottom o' the pans. obvious you are gonna need place a baking sheet or pan on a lower rack o' your oven to catch the drippings if you do the holey pan approach.

2) panko is ideal 

oats and or soggy bread is swell and all, and if you are trying to save a buck those will work. gonna suggest you transform your bread into bread crumbs as an initial step if you need to do white bread. again, no greasy bread chunks in your loaf with panko or bread crumbs and the panko is gonna get a more even distribution o' filler material.

3) grate your onion

sounds odd, but your grated onion will, like panko, more evenly distribute. additional and more important, grated onion is perfect for keeping your meat moist. now that you is using a broiler pan and the loaf is not saturated with grease, keeping moist becomes an issue. the grated onion approach is particular useful if you is going healthy/lean with your meatloaf. choose extra lean ground beef and ground turkey for a healthy meatloaf? (isn't as ghastly as it sounds and for anybody who wants, we got a recipe) chances are such a loaf would be on the dry side, but you avoid dry with grated onion.  aside: IF you are fanatical 'bout healthy, then two egg whites will work near as well as one egg when mixing your loaf ingredients.

4) do not over mix ingredients

this one is kinda obvious to anybody who cooks frequent, but indulging your personal level o' ocd trying to get perfect even distribution o' ingredients will likely result in overworked meat, which may become gummy. 

extra: am finding that for 1.5lbs o' meat (typical we use traditional three different meats... though almost am never using veal nowadays), 1/2c o' chopped italian parsley is a worthy additional non traditional ingredient. also consider reducing onion by half and replacing with fennel in equal amount.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Its rainy weather in Cpt today and Im making one of my bolognaise mince recipes  that always has lots of delicious mince left over  to freeze and eat later 

This recipe is 

• bacon bits, onions, celery, carrot and mushrooms are fired together for 10 minutes or so
  • then I add the beef and ostrich mince and brown it for about 7-8 minutes 
  • then I add the 2-3 tins of tomato puree or tomato and onion mix and 750ml of a  robust red wine and let it cook together on low heat so that it simmers for about 2 hours. 
  • Then the last 20 minutes add cream or milk  🍻
  • Like 1

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

Tacos and queso with some margaritas.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Over the weekend I tried my hand at making a jerk chicken marinade for the first time to put on some drumsticks.

xoFznyB.jpeg

Pretty good for a first attempt, but it does need a bit of dialing in. I purposely omitted brown sugar since I'm currently on a keto-ish diet, though I suppose a bit of brown sugar in the marinade wouldn't have been the end of the world and would have added a nice bit of carmelization. It was also not as spicy as I thought it would be. I used 1 habanero in the marinade for 5 drumsticks. Next time I'll use a bit of brown sugar and 2 habaneros or scotch bonnets.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I also had a nitro Pepsi and I think the best way that I can describe it is someone poured an entire cup of sugar into a Guinness.

tumblr_mm81p807zT1snpc3lo1_500.gifv

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'm making tacos

I also had a nitro Pepsi and I think the best way that I can describe it is someone poured an entire cup of sugar into a Guinness.

Just reading that makes me want to clean my mouth out.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

as is lent we do a fair 'mount o' vegetarian fare. today is a soup which tastes much better than it sounds.

4T olive oil

two big leaks, maybe three. chop thin

2T (or more) minced garlic

1 head o' cabbage... green is fine. is gonna be a big pot o' soup so am likely missing the value in going with savoy.  we slice thin, but if you wanna chop, it won't hurt. 

1C dry butter beans. rinse and then soak overnight before making soup. 1.5 C butter beans is ok too.

three yukon gold taters. the soup is gonna be more "creamy" if the potatoes break down complete, so dice your potatoes according with the assumption you will likely be looking at 90ish minutes cooking time.

8ish C vegetable stock 

4-6 sprigs o' bundled thyme

salt

lemon

parmesan cheese

a big pot or dutch oven

heat oil and butter in your big pot. add the leaks and cook medium-high until just getting some color. the garlic and cabbage goes in next. stir contents kinda vigorous as you don't want the leaks to be caramelizing at the bottom of the pot. cabbage otta lose a whole lotta water as it cooks-- 8-10 minutes.  every remaining ingredient save for lemon and parmesan goes in the pot and then adjust heat after you got contents at a nice simmer; will likely require an hour or so for potatoes and beans to be cooked 'nuff. am not gonna tell you how much salt is required 'cause am not certain. start with 1t added at same time you add stock and other ingredients, but you likely need more. if you are using store bought stock, then maybe less. you may always add salt, but is tougher to remove, so be reasonable.

ladle soup into a bowl and give the contents a squeeze o' lemon and a bit o' cheese. serve with crusty bread.

HA! Good Fun!

ps when is not lent, we add short ribs, which make the soup a whole lot better and also not at all vegetarian. pretty much same directions but season and sear short ribs in you dutch oven as a first step, then set aside. return to the pot along with stock, beans and whatnot. we also substitute at least 1/2 o' the olive oil with butter.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Weekend time is cooked English breakfast time and one my favorite weekend pastimes 

Today Im have fried  eggs, friend banana,  tomato, chicken livers and toast 🍳

• Like 1

John Milton 

Jerk chicken drumsticks attempt #2:

GxtabIg.jpeg

This time I added a bit of brown sugar and doubled the amout of habaneros (store didn't have scotch bonnet). Success! The heat level is perfect and the taste is quite yummy. I'm real close to having it perfected. I'll try increasing the ginger content next time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

venison sloppy joes

is pretty much the same as our ordinary sloppy joe recipe (which replaces green bell pepper with jalapeño, but is gonna otherwise look similar to just about everybody else's sloppy joe recipe,) with one change: bacon. venison is sooper lean. once you brown ground venison, it loses a whole lotta its flavour save for a bit o' background gamey. ½-1 piece o' thick cut bacon per pound o' venison, chopped, reintroduces missing fat w/o being overwhelming. 

recommendation: do not cook the bacon to death as that would defeat the purpose o' adding the bacon.

am s'posing the bacon fix would work if we had to make sloppy joes with particular lean ground beef, but am not a complete savage, so have never yet been so estranged from the civilized as to find our self faced with such a dilemma. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good old fashioned greasy breakfast with scrambled eggs and sausage. A nice benefit of living in the south is that it's easy to find good breakfast sausage. Back when I lived in Connecticut we did have sausage from local farms and it was better than the Jimmy Dean sausage you can find in any supermarket anywhere in the country, but nowhere near as good as the breakfast sausage I get here. Southerners just know how to make breakfast sausage better. Some green onion stems (or chives) chopped up make all the difference in scrambled eggs. I also like to undercook the eggs a bit and leave them a tiny bit runny, that's something I picked up from mom.

Question: Are green onions and scallions just different names for the same thing or are they different vegetables? I've heard it both ways and seen it both ways on the internet, so I'm confused. :blink:

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I had an over easy egg with ketchup and a slice of toast.

Green onions and scallions are the same plant but I think spring onions are a different plant. 

E: I just looked it up and it says green onions are traditionally more mature and scallions being the same plant just younger but nowadays it's mostly just how whoever labels them wants to call them.

E2: Spring onions have a bigger bulb

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

18 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I had an over easy egg with ketchup and a slice of toast.

Green onions and scallions are the same plant but I think spring onions are a different plant. 

E: I just looked it up and it says green onions are traditionally more mature and scallions being the same plant just younger but nowadays it's mostly just how whoever labels them wants to call them.

E2: Spring onions have a bigger bulb

perhaps is a bit more (unnecessarily) complicated. way we were taught is green and scallion get used interchangeable for the same thing. is a number o' different onion genus plants which when immature produce green onions/scallions. however, is our understanding most store bought scallions/green onions is gonna be o' the same genus and species as the spring onion... and am admitting we don't know the genus and species but is common referred to as the welsh onion.

for practical purposes, scallions/green onions is a bit sharper than spring onions.

is more confusing as the "welsh" in welsh onions don't refer to wales. a national symbol o' wales is the leek, another distinct member o' the onion genus, whereas the welsh onion is a kinda pejorative referring to its alien origin.

ff to 3:50

we use leeks frequent as we enjoy the garlic flavour.

HA! Good Fun!

ps multiple auto-correcting o' our spelling from genus to genius

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

You know that saying re: potato (or other, I guess) chips, that you can't eat just one?
These are worse. Even hubby, who doesn't snack much, will snag a couple squares every time he walks by. That 2 pound bag doesn't last long. We go to Costco maybe once a month or so and every time I say "I won't buy those" and then I do.  They are sooo goooood.
cashewclusters.jpg

Addition: I'm low carb, not zero carb. There are so many options now for "cheating" a bit. That bag of almond clusters is sorta similar to the Kirkland ones (more loose vs. firmly squared) but at least it isn't 2lb. I should stick to that.  😛  Those sunflower chocolate crisps are decent too.
snacking1.jpg

AdditionAddition: I had a head of cabbage and cans of stewed tomatoes so I'm making a cabbage soup for lunch (and hour or two cooking).  Kinda winging it. Add a little chicken or carnitas-style pork in the last 15 minutes. We'll see how it turns out.  😄

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Head of cabbage, stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, extra water, garlic, onion, a small amount of jalapeno (including the jar juice), a little meat (the falls into texture bits type not the chunky pieces type), bit o' salt. Then when you put it in your bowl, you stir in a tablespoon or two of the thick 5% Fage greek yogurt I like.

Hubby said it was the "best tomato soup he's had."

...looks like a big bowl of kim chi soup because of the color and cabbage, haha, but tastes more akin to a soup version of stuffed cabbage/tomato sauce dishes maybe. Anyway, apparently it was successful.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts