The All Things Political Topic - All people love themselves too much to be changed by something as simple as love.

Gromnir

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Just give the teachers a sawed off, in that case.  That'll settle the kids down right quick

you have never met teens? overwhelming disparities in power and/or obvious catastrophic consequences do not represent viable deterrents for a significant % ordinary kids who regardless o' actual intelligence will remain preternatural foolish and self destructive for some indefinite number of years.

'course most obvious hurdle is that if you introduce firearms you necessarily introduce accidents which will predictable and inevitable result in fatalities... likely far more fatalities from accident and general misfortune than the deterrent value could possible warrant. 

we expect this were not a serious suggestion by malcador... save for your recent expressed preference for a lethal conclusion. 'course the mod with similar questionable judgement would double-down in this situation. am gonna embrace uncharacteristic positive thinking and hope for a better resolution, m'kay?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It seems like Roe v Wade is dead in the water.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

you have never met teens? overwhelming disparities in power and/or obvious catastrophic consequences do not represent viable deterrents for a significant % ordinary kids who regardless o' actual intelligence will remain preternatural foolish and self destructive for some indefinite number of years.

'course most obvious hurdle is that if you introduce firearms you necessarily introduce accidents which will predictable and inevitable result in fatalities... likely far more fatalities from accident and general misfortune than the deterrent value could possible warrant. 

we expect this were not a serious suggestion by malcador... save for your recent expressed preference for a lethal conclusion. 'course the mod with similar questionable judgement would double-down in this situation. am gonna embrace uncharacteristic positive thinking and hope for a better resolution, m'kay?

HA! Good Fun!

Hmm, possibly. Can see a shotgun being effective at calming situations down, if years of bar fights in TVs have taught me anything.

As for wanting a lethal conclusion, eh, if the cops killed him justifiably or he offed himself, would be cheaper in long run and some people are worth tossing in a ditch (like anyone associated with dogfighting, for example).  But him in a cell for his whole life is acceptable.  Parents also may get charged, seems they got him the gun on Friday and I guess show no control over the weapon. 

7 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Hence my suggestion of a good whack with a bamboo sword.

Can still beat them to death with it.  Hitting someone once can open the flood gates of anger. So that's probably a risk. 

I guess the best weapon to maintain order is to threaten them with Gnesa.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

and double-down it is. disappointed but not surprised.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Empire obviously has no OSHA equivalent.

Suppose though nothing can be done, kids will still decide to go shoot people due to being nuts, edgelords gone too far or incels or whatever.  Not like guns are going away in the US.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

36 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I wonder what their HR department is doing... personal development plans and internal conflict resolution doesn't seem to be on their task list 🤔

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

seems some people need attention even when their most recent ludicrous notion ain't specific being addressed. blast doors?

*insert eye roll here*

nevertheless, gotta applaud the sense o' teamwork on the double-down daisy chain being crafted. 

aside, the following is a decent run-down o' the jeffrey clark testimony issues (edit: recognize the second-to-last twitter response is editorializing as 'posed to analysis):

the fifth amendment isn't a blanket insulator. mr. clark may still be compelled to appear before the committee and respond to questions. force clark to specific respond to those queries which might warrant the application o' 5th amendment protections, 'cause will be any number o' interrogatories which have no chance for self-incrimination but might very well imperil others. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

49 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, Im not married to the diamond shaped blast door (its sexy but it does look extra pinchy). Blast doors that slide from the left or right, or down from the ceiling would also work. Probably the most efficient and requiring the least amount of infrastructure changes would be a blast door that comes up from the floor. We wouldnt have to reinforce any walls or ceilings. :yes:

If they used agile they would not have had that problem.   Always had trouble with Vader's reasoning at least from TESB alone, if they come out far away, Rebels don't see them, but I have to assume they would spot them anyway on approach.  

Basti ciao! Basti ciao, ciao, ciao!

Bye bye. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Best day in a while. Looks like a veritable bomb is going to go off, because there were a good deal of rumors about new evidence, and that must be really bad if that parade of corrupt <bad word>s actually cut off the head of la famiglia. :yes:

Here's to hoping that this party goes the way of the dodo, or the way of the Democrazia Cristiana.

*dance*

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

assuming he gets around to editing this, the original reads as follows:

anybody that doesn't think there wasn't massive election fraud in the 2020 presidential election is either very stupid, or very corrupt!

am gonna concede, is rare we agree with trump but even a broken clock and all that, eh? 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 8

I was initially put off by the idea of charging the parents with the school shooting in MI. But then I read they gave the kid the pistol. They knew he was looking for ammo. They knew he was thinking about doing what he did. They KNEW his wrapper was loose and they didn't take the pistol he had no business having in the first place? To hell with them. 

I was 10 years old when I received my first "real" rifle. It was a bolt action single shot .22 and you had better believe my parents drilled into me what it was and what it can do. Safe handling of that rifle was so ingrained in me it's still second nature today. Because pistols are smaller, more complex, and more dangerous (by being concealable) kids should not have them. Not for nothing is the age for buying/owning a handgun set at 21 in most states. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is why you beat your kids. 😛

13 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

US launches diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics.

Back in the day you used to do proper boycotts for proper reasons like the All Blacks touring apartheid South Africa.

Nah, egregious human rights abuses by the CCP is very similar to Apartheid system so its perfectly understandable .... this diplomatic boycott is not very meaningful but understandable 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

46 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Late on this but imo the parents of that teen are more responsible for what happened than the child and should cop an equal or greater sentence.

The parents played a part, no doubt and the mother is not very concerned about potential violent tendencies  from her son. What did she say " Im not not angry....next time just dont get caught " ...:shrugz:

But the son is still more responsible, he committed the heinous deed and acted on his own hatred and dysfunction. He needs to face the harsher sentence 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Son had a bunch of obvious mental health issues that the parents completely neglected. On multiple occasions they failed their duties as parents, including buying him a gun, not securing it, not taking any kind of action when he was caught searching for ammunition on his phone, or drew a gun and a bullet and wrote 'The thought won't stop - help me.' So on the one hand we have an obviously borderline mentally incompetent child, and on the other hand we have two actual adults whose job it is to parent this child.

Adults generally have greater expectations of responsibility placed on them than children do, so yeah, I blame the adults who should know better than to put a pistol in the hands of a mentally unwell child more than I blame the mentally unwell child they 'raised'.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands