raNdOM vidEo game newSS

Amentep

4 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

You don't need armor if you kill everything in one hit.  :shifty:

Or maybe they're in an environment where armour is useless. Might as well die comfortable.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Or maybe they're in an environment where armour is useless. Might as well die comfortable.

I mean, if you're in the desert and it's 115°F and you go out there decked out in a gambeson with 35 lbs of metal plate over that, you won't have to worry about anyone putting an arrow through you because you will be dead from heat stroke.

• Haha 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

34 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Nip pasties armor do NOTHING! :lol:

Get them enchanted for a high armor class.

Actually, are they like rings and cancel each other out if enchanted, or are they cumulative? 🤔

38 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Total agreement.

Also, for me personally, I don't even like most armor designs, male or female, in terms of gaming (not real life warring states where IRL protection is a factor) - I prefer ... clothes. So something like where "armor" is just something you wear stat wise, like an accessory, but the character appearance can be changed with clothes to whatever. FFXV, Tales of Arise style, for example.

That way you can have your stats and whatever appearance suits your personal fancy/ideals too.  I absolutely hate it in games where in order to get the best or close to best armor stats your character has to wear that stupid looking horned nose-pieced helmet and bright blue suit of armor, or whatever. I mean yeah if the intent of your game is historical accuracy, fine, but otherwise ... gimmie suits or t-shirts and jeans anyday. 😛

I actually kind of agree with this.  I hate it when to improve AC you have to switch to some stupid looking armor set (like the Dwarven armor in Skyrim or something that looks terrible and makes everyone look the same).

I guess it may also depend on whether the game is striving to be a simulation at some level or not.  Most fantasy RPGs aren't.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

14 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I mean, if you're in the desert and it's 115°F and you go out there decked out in a gambeson with 35 lbs of metal plate over that, you won't have to worry about anyone putting an arrow through you because you will be dead from heat stroke.

Actually! One of the best thing you can have in the desert is thick clothes with good insulation. What keeps you warm in the winter also keeps you cool under the scorching sun.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

16 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I actually kind of agree with this.  I hate it when to improve AC you have to switch to some stupid looking armor set (like the Dwarven armor in Skyrim or something that looks terrible and makes everyone look the same).

I'm always appreciative when a game allows you to transmute an item, whether it be weapon or armor, to make it look like something else while keeping the stats of the item intact. It's the best of both worlds. You can have your +50 Armor +8 Constitution +25% XP gain armor and it can look like a sexy lace corset, a richly ornamented suit of plate with waaaaaaaaay too huge pauldrons, or anything in between.

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Actually! One of the best thing you can have in the desert is thick clothes with good insulation. What keeps you warm in the winter also keeps you cool under the scorching sun.

Fair, but I imagine plate would still be a poor choice due to the sheer weight and the metal heating up in the scorching sun. The gambeson by itself would probably be a much better choice.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Well, would have to be something that would absorb the sweat no ?

29 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Yeah, had meant something like people are carrying weapons which will cut through your armour easily.  Then again the IG keep their tshirts.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Get them enchanted for a high armor class.

Glamoured Armor, you choose the appearance of it to be pasties and a thong, you still get the full benefit. 👍

As for enchantments, it'd depend on what game one is playing, I had one of my Shadowrun players enchant rubber bouncing balls with timedelayed explosion magics. Fun was had. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Fair, but I imagine plate would still be a poor choice due to the sheer weight and the metal heating up in the scorching sun. The gambeson by itself would probably be a much better choice.

I just wanted to push my glasses up my nose and say actually.

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, would have to be something that would absorb the sweat no ?

A full grain leather coat was the number one item to have if you crash landed in the middle of the desert (not including a satellite phone). It was some survival quiz or some such thing. Most people picked a bottle of water or a map, but the water would not last you long and the map would not be of much use unless you knew where you landed. The coat keeps you cool in the day and warm during the nights.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If you are looking for scantily clad characters, Shin Megami Tensei 5 has you covered:

maxresdefault.jpg

SMT-V-Anahita.jpg?fit=1280,720&ssl=1

mqdefault.jpg

There's even something for the furries:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I didnt know what that was so I looked it up, good choice of early reading material. I wish I knew about it when I was a teen 💞

It saved you from the wrong romantic choices some of us made. It allowed you to make different mistakes.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

For anyone wondering while that's certainly true of a house- ie good insulation keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer- a human produces heat, it's like having a well insulated house, and running heaters year around. Swaddling in the heat will result in heat exhaustion very, very quickly except under very specific conditions and equipment (though there are some counterintuitive things like why some people wear black in the heat- matt black is actually the best 'colour' at radiating heat away, while white is the worst so if you're out of the sun black is a good choice)

The type example for what really happens if you're dumb enough to wear full plate armour in hot conditions would be the monumentally, monumentally, stupid Battle of Hattin. Strip your garrisons, march your medieval knights out into a blasted desert in the middle of summer where your enemy controls the water, be surprised when the bulk of your force isn't even capable of running away a day later. Salah-eh-Din doesn't really need to do anything when faced with moronism that abject.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

News must be slow. 

But as to two pages long conversation: how appropriate character design is depends on the game and world itself. Boob armor is stupid from practical perspective, and PoE, which treated itself very seriously is probably better off avoiding that nonesence. A game that proprizes style over any kind of believability or immersion - sure, do whatever you feel look best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

maxresdefault.jpg

scaredycat1.png 

...I love cats, but I didn't even like the Khajiit in Skyrim. Humonoid-ish animals or insectoids is one thing but basically just sticking an animal head on a human body is so visually weird. At least give them something like, oh, only four fingers w/padded palms vs. a human hand, and/or leg/joint angles  (walking on toes) that match felines a bit more, something like that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not cat related, but I always thought Manananggal had one of the raddest designs in Megaten games:

manananggal.jpg

Also, Norn:

sg-smt-v-game-norn-demon-1024x576.jpg

Also also, Belphegor because my man is sitting on the throne: :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Japan is strange

None of those are Japanese (there are plenty of Japanese folklore creatures in MegaTen games). Manananggal is Filipino, Norn, or Nornir, are Norse, and Belphegor is Judeo-Christian.

220px-Belphegor.jpg

MegaTen games' demons come from folklore and mythology from all corners of the globe.

Edit: Here's a Japanese one for you:

kikuri-hime-smt-v.jpeg

Kikuri-Hime

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^ Something like Puss n Boots is so children-cartoonish that it doesn't spark bizarro alarms. Nekomata just looks like a human wearing cat ears/other halloween costume parts or some such.  I'm also culturally used to things like typical fairies, where they just have small wasp like wings etc.

Using a more full insectoid as example (vs. Tinkerbell fairy), if you want something humanoid in that it has two legs/walks upright etc, I'd prefer something like this:

ea2e9f6f144667544423a9eb766061a0.jpg

I guess for me certain artistic concepts of non-human+human hybrid is too uncanny valley, for lack of a better word. Or at least, they don't resemble anything that in my mind would likely actually evolve from the known base form (edit: so I can't take them seriously at all).  Just me tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@LadyCrimsonHere's a traditional depiction of  Nekomata:

Suuhi_Nekomata.jpg

Mythological creatures all over the world are very often humanoid. Blame our ancestors for making them that way. :shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 minute ago, Keyrock said:

Mythological creatures all over the world are very often humanoid. Blame our ancestors for making them that way.

No, I get that. If we had six arms and four legs spread out in a sort of square shaped stance, we'd probably draw most "aliens" with a similar structure. We draw what we know. But for games, films, TV in this modern era, it'd be nice to see something with better vision more often, vs. just "sexy human bodies with animal heads/tails."

At least that last one you posted got the four toes/fingers (evolved from paws, not human feet/hands) much better.  Actually, some ancient culture mythical beasts or gods I probably like a bit more to begin with, vs. modern game/media stuff....

Not cat related, but I always thought Manananggal had one of the raddest designs in Megaten games:

manananggal.jpg

Also, Norn:

sg-smt-v-game-norn-demon-1024x576.jpg

Also also, Belphegor because my man is sitting on the throne: :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

Those are impressive, I am not at all experienced in any JRPG  so its good to see the  variation of artistic design 

But Keyrock I do have one question, why do the female characters always have to look so young? I know this gets raised and its not done for any intentionally strange reason but generally I have noticed this ...

It seems to be a standard Japanese cultural factor in their games  or am I missing something?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

None of those are Japanese (there are plenty of Japanese folklore creatures in MegaTen games). Manananggal is Filipino, Norn, or Nornir, are Norse, and Belphegor is Judeo-Christian.

Japanese developer, no ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Those are impressive, I am not at all experienced in any JRPG  so its good to see the  variation of artistic design 

But Keyrock I do have one question, why do the female characters always have to look so young? I know this gets raised and its not done for any intentionally strange reason but generally I have noticed this ...

It seems to be a standard Japanese cultural factor in their games  or am I missing something?

You're asking me to comment on a culture foreign to me. My answer is :shrugz:

17 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Japanese developer, no ?

Yes, Atlus is a Japanese developer.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸