Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

Wonder what countermeasures they'll come with.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Does nationality matter a great deal in this modern hyper consumerist world?  As long as it's not in Zone B (Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea etc) I'd say the tech sector in particular is largely integrated.  There's a reason the U.S. can't allow China to retake Taiwan you know, most of our chips come from there.

Edited by ComradeYellow

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Tiawan produces 51% of the global chip market. Everyone needs them in the short term.

The US still produces 12% of the global market (link) so that would probably hold us over if we stopped exporting them.

I'm not so sure about that. The global chip shortage is *already* hurting the US economy and causing stocks to nose dive on Wall Street.

Edit: This is with Taiwan producing at 100% capacity

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60135905

A survey of more than 150 firms found supplies had fallen from an average of 40 days' worth in 2019 to just five days in late 2021.

Note, this is not to be confused with the other world wide chip shortage, lack of potatoes leading to a shortage in french fries and chips supplies 😢

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/08/potato-shortage-french-fries-japan-kenya-south-africa-pandemic-supply-chains/

In Japan, McDonald’s locations stopped offering large and medium-size french fry orders late last month, after pandemic-related supply chain issues and floods in the Port of Vancouver delayed potato shipments.

Days later, South Africa’s leading makers of potato chips warned that potatoes were in disturbingly short supply after a bad frost and excessive rains led to low local yields, on top of global sourcing shortages.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

The global chip shortage is *already* hurting the US economy and causing stocks to nose dive on Wall Street.

The key phrase here is global production. My point was, if Tiawan gets bumrushed, the US should be able to support itself if it stops exporting the "chips" that are manufactured here.

And we have hella potatoes. :yes:

• Like 1

https://www.forbes.com/sies/jackkelly/2022/01/27/reddits-antiwork-subreddit-temporarily-shuts-down-after-an-awkward-interview-between-a-moderator-and-fox-news-star-jesse-watters/

What happens when Reddit meets the real world.  Seems a colossally stupid idea for them to go on FOX at all, much less with so little preparation

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

And we have hella potatoes.

And cows, so McDonalds shall remain our national treasure , regardless of what happens. :yes:

https://www.mashed.com/169000/the-truth-about-mcdonalds-meat/

As for how that beef is processed,

Business Insider visited one of McDonald's largest meat processing facilities in Germany and noted the shipments of beef are first checked over to ensure no bones are still nestled within. It's then put through about the biggest meat grinder you could possibly imagine before each patty is shaped by machinery

Everyone in Zone A is economically interlinked and there's no way out of it, despite the MAGA claims to the contrary.

Edited by ComradeYellow

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Weird pivot, but ok. Did you know that there are also acceptable limits for; insects / feces / blood / etc. Never, ever, look too deeply into a slaughterhouse. :lol:

Just imagine how it was prior to Upton Sinclair's The Jungle...!!!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The key phrase here is global production. My point was, if Tiawan gets bumrushed, the US should be able to support itself if it stops exporting the "chips" that are manufactured here.

That isn't how chip manufacturing works though. Eventually the US could support itself in chips sure, but we're talking years, not months.

You don't have generic chip wafers that you just plonk whatever designs you want on, the designs go hand in hand with the manufacturing process you use. Apple's M1 chip is designed for TSMC 5nm. And it's not just that it is not designed for, say, an Intel process, it's that Intel literally does not have an equivalent process in production. Their closest is roughly equivalent to TSMC 7nm, but is far less reliable even 6+ years after it was meant to launch. If Apple, with all its resources, had to switch to 'Intel7' (formerly Intel 10nm) they'd have probably 6 months with zero production in the best case. The Intel and TSMC approaches are pretty different, so at worst they'd have to do a far more comprehensive design; the one thing Apple could not do even with its massive resources is create capacity out of thin air. And that's Apple, for anyone else the problem gets exponentially worse.

That's precisely why there's a scramble to get new fab capacity in the US and Europe, and lolly scramble of inducements too. That's going to take literal years though, as they're immensely complicated to build.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

That's precisely why there's a scramble to get new fab capacity in the US and Europe, and lolly scramble of inducements too. That's going to take literal years though, as they're immensely complicated to build.

There's also this I found:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/16/tsmc-taiwanese-chipmaker-ramping-production-to-end-chip-shortage.html

So I guess TSMC may be setting up shop in Arizona, not sure how that'll affect the overall company, especially if Taiwan gets "Bumrushed" and whether its possible the entire company can just emigrate to the U.S. or not and change their company name.

That would be pretty spot on for a major corporation though, the super rich fleeing to the U.S. and leaving their poorest citizens in the dust.   While China is putting effort into semiconducters themselves, the are still way behind in the game.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/20/idc-on-chinas-semiconductor-tech-ambitions.html

That plant will be pretty far from the cutting edge by the time its built, which is part of the problem really. 5nm is about to supplanted by 3nm, now, in 2 years time it will be 2 processes behind. If the US wants cutting edge fabs from foreign companies they'll have to cut down on the- as rampant as China's, if more subtle- industrial espionage and use of standover tactics to get trade secrets. Otherwise you'll get older tech taking advantages of the massive subsidies on offer while the real development stays in Asia.

The short-faced bear is an extinct ancient bear that lived in North America 11,000 years ago. They were extremely large bears, weighing more than 1 ton (1000 kg) and standing up to 12 feet (3.7 m) tall. Despite their enormous stature, the bear could run up to 40 miles per hour (64km per hour).

272836562_1442085182853121_6301364328819

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

"I was anxious. I didn't know what to expect," he says. But the students were kind to him, "welcoming me in and very respectful and such as well. They showed me a lot about learning music," he laughs. "It was a learning experience on both ends."

Was it though? :p 

I've subbed for band a few times. I am self-aware enough to know that I am not actually teaching those kids anything about music. I'm just filling in until the real teacher can return. 

Edited by Hurlsnot

Well, a little can be a lot when you start from zero.

42 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Was it though? :p 

I've subbed for band a few times. I am self-aware enough to know that I am not actually teaching those kids anything about music. I'm just filling in until the real teacher can return. 

𝄞 ≠ 𝄢 ≠ 𝄡

Does that help? 😄 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Huh I only thought there were two clefs.

• Like 1

Alto Clef / C Clef gets no respect.  Well that and its mostly used just by the viola and mandola these days, so Treble / G-Clef and Bass/F-Clef get all the press.

• Like 1