Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

Funny how a simple tube with baffles in it that's easy as Hell to make yourself can actually land you in prison for up to 11 years should you lack the proper paperwork and long arduous and financially destroying process of obtaining it.

I'm talking about suppressors of course.

Spoiler

ARMSLIST - For Sale: New Hush Puppy Project M2 9mm Modular ...

In order to obtain one you have to actually go to your local sheriffs department (Who the Hell trusts law enforcement these days???), they take your fingerprints, you pay a hefty fee, and you have to wait up to TWO years to get the go-ahead.  On top of that, suppressor manufacturers take full advantage of their legal status and charge a ridiculous amount of money for each one, sometimes in the thousands which is ridiculous because they are not complicated or high tech devices.

Spoiler

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xBAskeiMOgrQhmgYY1m7vQHaEb%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Gemtech's GMT-300BLK Suppressor for 300 Blackout Rifles ...

That's it, that's all they are, a tube with sound baffles inside of it, simple as Hell, you can make one with a $40 car fuel filter, 11 years in prison w/o authorization, uhg.  Do not mess with Uncle Sam though in any case, he will f your s up.  If you want one, you gotta bite the bullet (no pun intended) dish out the fingerprints and the money and go through the "scanning" process.

Spoiler

06--Freedom-Hush-9mm-165-s-o__70747.1517969969.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

That, or get a good at crossbow, if you want to target shoot more "silently".  Crossbows are so high tech these days that they have some that fire bolts up to 450 feet per second, imagine a long bolt traveling 1.5x a football field in one second!  (For comparative purposes, the slowest 9mm round travels about 850 feet per second as advertised, should give you a good perspective on just how fast bullets are compared to bolts, when the slowest bullet travels twice fast as the fastest crossbow bolt).

Axl doing something decent.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The 80's were an interesting time period to be alive. It was more than just great music, weird and flashy fashion trends and outrageous hair styles.

It was also the time of the cold war and constant nagging feeling in the back of your head that today may be the last day earth exists. Each and every day. Quite literally.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p07y7021/the-night-the-world-almost-almost-ended

Impending, instant doom is not so much an issue today. More like a crawl towards extinction because of perfectly avoidable reasons.

Thank you lieutenant colonel Stanislav Petrov for giving everybody a few more years to live and make new mistakes.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://nypost.com/2021/11/09/sex-tourism-damaging-spanish-beaches-scientists/

Don't these people know sand is course and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 hours ago, Raithe said:

This reminds me of the Japanese capsule hotels, except it's portable and probably harder to keep clean.

The 5 Coolest Capsule Hotels In Japan

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

11 hours ago, Raithe said:

For the random thought:

73294820_2451849008470758_12078328633496

74802728_2451849001804092_69453436524618

74632398_2451849031804089_25518225465341

74912263_2451849025137423_23127447338955

75311441_2451849101804082_12345621842944

You know, there's something that really bugs me about this twitter conversation.

Using etymology to build a logical argument.  It just doesn't work.  Contextually, if the people of the time didn't intend for pioneer to be a military term, regardless of its origin it wasn't a military term (also the root for pawn, peon and pioneer all come from the Latin for foot, but its easier to make a word sound bad if you use pawn and peon which have highly negative connotations NOW rather than using foot which doesn't).

Speaking of bad, we refer to tough, admirable people as 'badass'.  Which is turn is derived from 'bad' and 'ass'.  Bad derives from Middle English (badde - "wicked, depraved") which in turn is believed to derive from Old English bǣddel meaning a "womanly man".  Ass derives from arse which in turn derives from proto-Germanic arsaz meaning "buttocks".  Therefore using the etymology logic displayed above, calling someone badass today means you think they have womanly buttocks for a man, because the actual intended interpretation of today is irrelevant in the face of where the terms originally derived and their original use.

Anyhow, I don't get why people feel the need to rely on tortuous 'logic' based on word etymology which ignores the actual use of the word at the time of its use and in the context that would be understood at that time.  I see it crop up from time to time and just don't get it why people think it supports their arguments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

21 minutes ago, Amentep said:

You know, there's something that really bugs me about this twitter conversation.

And this is why I throw some of that weird stuff on here, just to get those interesting takes from the forumites at large...

Which you rarely get to see elucidated well on twitter responses.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

AtlasObscura - Epic Campus

Software company Epic Systems has created one of the strangest and largest workplaces of all time.
Judy Faulkner, the CEO of Epic, deemed the most successful female technology company founder alive today, could be called a lunatic or a visionary for how she designed her campus. Here is what you’ll see every day when working at Epic:

A red treehouse serving as a conference room, a crashing blue waterfall flows under a wooden bridge, bright yellow picnic benches for lunch, a moat and a medieval drawbridge between modern glass buildings, an annual tug of war, a staircase surrounded by bamboo, underground tunnels, skyways, a gourmet meal named after a constellation, two giant cactuses, a snake stretching dozens of feet, an intricately designed wizard-themed Harry Potter-esque room, a giant auditorium five stories underground that seats 11,000, hundreds of solar panels, sculptures of seals and elephants, a tin man on a bench, a life-size Grand Central Station complete with walk-in train cars, an Indiana Jones themed hallway, the Blues Brothers in wax, and a farm campus with a four-story barn, milk jugs, butter churns, and lots of tractors.

The list goes on. The campus is something like a city out of a fantasy novel and with a workforce of nearly 10,000, it has grown to be larger than the city of Verona itself. When building materials aren’t quite right, Faulkner donates them, like the 300,000 bricks that didn’t quite meet her color preferences that went on to build the nearby Verona Public High School.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Poor bundibird must be all ate up with the GAD. Bwahahahaha. :lol:

GAD ?

10 minutes ago, Malcador said:

GAD ?

@Raithe trotted it out a few days ago and I laughed so hard my wife came over to see what I was looking at:  Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Generalized anxiety disorder (or GAD) is marked by excessive, exaggerated anxiety and worry about everyday life events for no obvious reason. People with symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder tend to always expect disaster and can't stop worrying about health, money, family, work, or school.

• Haha 1

BBC - Amazon.uk to stop accepting Visa in January

Amazon will stop accepting Visa credit cards issued in the UK from 19 January, the online retail giant has said.

It said the move was due to high credit card transaction fees but said Visa debit cards would still be accepted.

Visa said it was "very disappointed that Amazon is threatening to restrict consumer choice in the future".

Amazon said: "The cost of accepting card payments continues to be an obstacle for businesses striving to provide the best prices for customers."

The online retailer said costs should be going down over time due to advances in technology, "but instead they continue to stay high or even rise".

An Amazon spokesperson said the dispute was to do with "pretty egregious" price rises from Visa over a number of years with no additional value to its service.