Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Using IoT for card readers doesn't seem that outlandish, FB has an immense number of employees - I guess they also have differing levels of access for staff too.

We don't really know how the FB system works of course, but it's certainly implied that they run all the verification off a master server rather than locally. The average FB employee getting locked out of their office ain't a big deal, but it seems to be intrinsically dumb for critical infrastructure, especially for access to hardware that controls the local network (and hence IoT). That makes the whole thing vulnerable to both malign action and hardware faults, and makes it hard to fix when they happen. You can only presume that they'd have some sort of master override for emergencies but really, for critical infrastructure there should be a separate ringfenced system. That would certainly be cheaper than the value of the stock losses from having your system crash for a few hours.

Seems to be a bit of a paradigm that connectivity is good for the sake of it, and it isn't for everything. 

(Attitude wise it kind of reminds me of Fukushima having their back up emergency diesel generators in a basement below sea level and hence prone to flooding. That might be convenient for daily operation, but the whole idea is to design around managing the extraordinary, not the ordinary)

• Like 1

Seems they use their own domain for everything, I think we do likewise actually at my place, even with our SaaS stuff's DR environments (oops).   But I am not too sure if there were no impediment to getting into the datacenters if that'd have improved the damage.  Seems BGP issues are a problem.  Makes me wish I'd gone into networking, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Having your own domain can be nice. I've owned two domains for close to 20 years, one being my main email contact and the other being <my family name>.com... the latter just for the heck of it. I also own two domains (for 10+ years) , which I hope some day, some year, to put a proper website on as a memorial stone to one of my favourite games (the original two Planescape Torment domains). Sadly, I'm no web developer, but I hung on to those ever since I bought them off the previous owner in the naive hope, some day to get around to it.

On an unrelated note, in the completely "random" category. Why all the best maps used to be Russian 😂

(note, the video title says 'Britain', but it turned out to be a lot more than Britain)

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There is a full thread, but to make it easier I've got the chunk of wall-o-text:

I'm back from a week at my mom's house and now I'm getting ads for her toothpaste brand, the brand I've been putting in my mouth for a week. We never talked about this brand or googled it or anything like that.
As a privacy tech worker, let me explain why this is happening.

First of all, your social media apps are not listening to you. This is a conspiracy theory. It's been debunked over and over again.
But frankly they don't need to because everything else you give them unthinkingly is way cheaper and way more powerful.
Your apps collect a ton of data from your phone. Your unique device ID. Your location. Your demographics. Weknowdis.

Data aggregators pay to pull in data from EVERYWHERE. When I use my discount card at the grocery store? Every purchase? That's a dataset for sale.
They can match my Harris Teeter purchases to my Twitter account because I gave both those companies my email address and phone number and I agreed to all that data-sharing when I accepted those terms of service and the privacy policy.
Here's where it gets truly nuts, though.

If my phone is regularly in the same GPS location as another phone, they take note of that. They start reconstructing the web of people I'm in regular contact with.
The advertisers can cross-reference my interests and browsing history and purchase history to those around me. It starts showing ME different ads based on the people AROUND me.
Family. Friends. Coworkers.

It will serve me ads for things I DON'T WANT, but it knows someone I'm in regular contact with might want.
To subliminally get me to start a conversation about, I don't know, ****ing toothpaste.
It never needed to listen to me for this. It's just comparing aggregated metadata.

The other thing is, this is just out there in the open. Tons of people report on this. It's just, nobody cares. We have decided our privacy just isn't worth it. It's a losing battle. We've already given away too much of ourselves.

• Sad 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

40 minutes ago, Raithe said:

There is a full thread, but to make it easier I've got the chunk of wall-o-text:

observation not directed @Raithe, but it nevertheless concerns us that notions o' what is private is varied and often complete wrong. people use "privacy" and pretend it means same for everybody else. what you or bob or mary thinks is private communications or activities, chances are other folks will see different, and most assured does law see different.

most simplest guide is that if you share a conversation with anybody other than your priest, doctor or lawyer, you in all likelihood no longer got an expectation o' privacy... and for the doctor the info need be medical relevant. even your spouse don't count 'cause he/she ain't bound to keep confidential but the spouse has the option to keep private.  if you conduct an activity in your own home, and with curtains/blinds drawn closed, and nobody save your lawyer is present, then is likely private, unless you is being extreme loud or in other limited circumstances. 

share info with a faceless vendor is not gonna be deemed private unless you make it so via a contract.

share info, even if you thinks you is doing so "anonymous," with your online besties is not private and is little different from a legal standpoint as is going to a public park with a bullhorn and sharing such info with passersby.

is gonna be confusing for some 'cause is true people is afforded a reasonable expectation o' privacy from government intrusions, but the problem is once you share your privates with others, those others do not need keep private, and anybody who mighta' overheard or seen not need keep private.

all too often people believe privacy applies to any and all embarrassing stuff we don't want anybody else to know 'bout that we nevertheless routinely share with strangers

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is why you lie 98% of the time.

quick clarifications, 'cause oversimplify is gonna lead to confusion. 

1) priests have a duty to God, but not to you.

2) no contract will protect your illegal private communications and activities.

if a priest wants to sell your private info or share such with the cops, he is free to do so from a legal pov. government can't compel the priest to share, but you cannot demand the government prevent the priest from divulging private. 

if law enforcement wants information as part o' a criminal investigation and they got a warrant or legal right to such info, no contract will work to prevent a person from sharing such info.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I just think you gotta lean into this stuff, but also think critically about the content being pushed your way. I constantly get ads for bicycles now. It's cool, I love looking at them. I also get a ton of pro-hydrogen news stories. I recognize my feed is completely biased in that respect. I am not going to rush out and invest all my money in hydrogen fuel cells.

9 hours ago, Malcador said:

This is why you lie 98% of the time.

For import stuf like my rental bond or government health site etc I provide correct information. Steam, Instagram, Origin, GOG. Google and the likes? Nah. It does amuse me a bit getting birthday greetings throughout the year though 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, Raithe said:

Why does this sound like a Taliban advert? Yeah, if you keep the women locked away at home and don't report domestic violence, I'll bet your stats look pretty good.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

image.thumb.jpeg.92c60b1abbfa2328f83e978a9403449c.jpeg

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I am almost tempted to get that subscription to Rolling Stones just to read that article now...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1