Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

That's an incredibly huge stretch that ignores the fact people might just get tired of ads touting 'Pumpkin Spice' in everything.

Also I find interesting the declaration that it is only women who eat/drink pumpkin spice flavored things.  Is that true?  Is there research indicating men do not eat or drink pumpkin spice things ever?

(the world of coffee escapes me, so I dunno what's going on).

Honestly most of the pumpkin spice hate I hear is about the pumpkin spice beers, so yeah, I don't get the tweet. 

Most of the "complaints" I see are about the ads for the lattes rather than who drinks it.  Casual observation (i.e. lurking behind a plant in the store) at the Starbucks near my office did indicate that it is mostly women that order it but not by a huge margin maybe 2 to 1. 

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

25 years ago on the 18th of August, a jury in New Mexico announced its verdict in one of the most infamous and misunderstood cases in recent memory: Liebeck v. McDonald's, also known as the "hot coffee lawsuit."

This case is held up as one of most egregious examples of frivolous lawsuits. The story goes that a woman bought coffee from McDonald's, drove with it between her legs, spilled it on herself, sued McDonald's because it was hot, and took a cool $1 to $5 million (depending on who's telling the story) off of them. "Wait, she sued because coffee was hot? And she was driving with it between her legs? What did she expect? Anyone can sue for anything these days."

Guess what? That story is almost completely false. I mean, Stella Liebeck did have hot coffee spill on her. That part is true. But here's what's not. Liebeck wasn't driving. The 79 year old was in the passenger seat of her grandson's car. He pulled into a parking spot, where she was trying to add cream and sugar to her coffee. The car didn't have cupholders, so she put it between her legs, and when she pulled the lid off, it spilled all over her.

The spilled coffee wasn't just unpleasant; it was served at nearly 190 degrees, which caused 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body, required multiple skin grafts, necessitated further care after she left the hospital, and left her permanently disfigured. She originally tried to settle with McDonald's and asked for $20,000; they responded with an offer of $800.

At that point, she hired an attorney who discovered that 1) McDonald's required franchisees to serve coffee between 180-190 degrees 2) no other coffee in the city was served at more than 160 degrees 3) 190 degree liquid causes third degree burns in less than 3 seconds and would burn the mouth if consumed at that temperature 4) 160 degree liquid takes over 20 seconds to cause third degree burns and 5) McDonald's had been sued over SEVEN HUNDRED times in the prior decade for coffee being too hot and had settled up to $500,000 in cases and been told to lower the temperature.

Ultimately, McDonald's refused an arbitrator's suggestion of a $225,000 settlement and the case went to trial, where a jury ultimately awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages, and $2.7 million in punitive damages. "A ha!," you sa, "so she still got millions! That's still frivolous!" Well...no.

First, the jury found Liebeck was 20% at fault, so the compensatory damages were reduced by that amount, to $160,000. Then the judge reduced the punitive damages to three times the compensatory, or $480,000, for a total of $640,000. We don't know how much Liebeck got because they eventually settled for less than $600,000, but between medical expenses and legal fees, it's a FAR cry from the millions she got for a slightly warmed leg in the well-known story.

So how did this become so legendary? Simple. McDonald's knew the case was going poorly, so it looked to the one thing it had that Liebeck didn't: a bully pulpit. They started a massive PR effort that was basically a smear campaign, painting Liebeck as some irresponsible scofflaw trying to take their hard-earned money. And it worked, to the point that the annual "awards" for frivolous lawsuits are known as "The Stellas."

As for Liebeck? The then 81 year old didn't have the money, platform, or desire to fight back, and used the money to pay for a live-in nurse. She watched company after company use her case as an excuse for tort reform, to stop the big bad consumers from hurting the poor, poor multinational billion dollar corporations, before passing in 2004 at age 91.

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

17 hours ago, Raithe said:

Yeah. I like that they are raising the daily rate for the subs. That is long overdue. Of course, they also need to raise the teacher salaries. 

I loved subbing when I was working on my teaching credential. It was a great way to experience the different grade levels, and not having to grade or lesson plan is a plus. I plan on doing it when I retire. That being said, this is a tough time to do it.

That said, I've read about a few unvaccinated teachers exposing their classes to covid. I'm livid when I hear that, it is so unethical. They should have their credentials revoked if they don't have a legitimate reason for not being vaccinated. It's garbage. We are required to do TB tests regularly, so I expect this will be mandatory soon.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:25 AM, Raithe said:

135017055_4050582844971412_5854505767647

Food bank QLD is one of two charities I support 👍

edit: money donations not food donations 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

240387937_388581072887844_80933552564963

Banned Books Awareness: "1984" - World leading higher education information and services

Shortly after it was translated into Russian it was banned in the former U.S.S.R.
Some early reviewers suggested that it was a commentary against Joseph Stalin’s infamous “midnight purges;” though, ironically, parents in Jackson County, Florida, would make the challenge in 1981 that it was “pro communist” and that it contained “explicit sexual matter.”
Orwell was alarmed that factions within America were using his novel as propaganda for their political views. Between 1965 and 1982, the book ranked 5th on the list of most challenged titles for being “immoral and pro communist.” It is currently 9th on the ALA’s list of banned classics.
In a rather ironic incident, bookselling giant Amazon deleted both 1984 and Animal Farm from its Kindle database in 2009. The world’s press agencies called foul, accusing Amazon of censorship; but it turns out the copies were sold illegally from an independent publisher, as 1984 is still under copyright protection until 2020.
The book is commonly removed from U.S. schools under the “pro communist” argument; and ironically enough, for being considered “anti-government.” So, on one hand it’s alleged of being for a particular governmental form, but on the other hand it’s challenged by others for not supporting any government whatsoever. Okay, then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Funny, but a group of parents in Florida don't exactly represent the entirety of the US. 

I'm not sure what schools are removing it as 'pro communist'

I taught Animal Farm in 7th grade for a couple years back when I was a ELA teacher. I also taught The Giver and a book about a rebellious serf called Crispin. I think I had a bit of a theme. :p

• Thanks 3

So I read this story on Facebook:

I arrived at the address and honked the horn. After waiting a few minutes I honked again. Since this was going to be my last ride of my shift I thought about just driving away, but instead I put the car in park and walked up to the door and knocked.. 'Just a minute', answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 90's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940's movie.

By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets.

There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.

'Would you carry my bag out to the car?' she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman.

She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness. 'It's nothing', I told her.. 'I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother to be treated.'

'Oh, you're such a good boy,’ she said. When we got in the cab, she gave me an address and then asked, 'Could you drive

through downtown?'

'It's not the shortest way,' I answered quickly..

'Oh, I don't mind,' she said. 'I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice.’

I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening. 'I don't have any family left,' she continued in a soft voice.. ‘The doctor says I don't have very long.' I quietly reached over and shut off the meter.

'What route would you like me to take?' I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, 'I'm tired. Let's go now'.

We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move.

They must have been expecting her.

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

'How much do I owe you?' She asked, reaching into her purse.

'Nothing,' I said.

'You have to make a living,' she answered.

'There are other passengers,' I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.

'You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,' she said. 'Thank you.'

I squeezed her hand, and then walked into the dim morning light.. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life..

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day,I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?

On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

But great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID ~BUT~ THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL.

At the bottom of this great story was a request to forward this - I deleted that request because if you have read to this point, you won't have to be asked to pass it along you just will...

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

And I mean, it's a nice story. The comments are gushy and say God Bless and all that.

But I'm pretty sure that guy drove a ghost around for a couple hours. Like, I've read enough of these stories. He is going to find her sweater in the back of his car, and go back to the rest home, and find out she died 20 years ago.

• Like 2

For other random history:

Hardback Books Would Not Exist Without Cheese - Media Chomp

A fun tour on how it is the combination of cheese, snails, Jesus, underwear, and spectacles that we have the hardback book....

This 1:3 Scale Replica of a B-17 Flying Fortress Bomber Actually Flies – Robb Report

That’s why the Vietnam veteran and aviation enthusiast decided to build a 1:3 scale replica of the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress bomber back in 1999, according to Jalopnik. It would take nearly two decades to complete, but the result is easily one of the coolest homebuilt planes you will ever see.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2