Random-Interesting-Weird

Amentep

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

240826794_204491471709875_27836908753355

I'm not sure you need ADHD to have unreasonable expectations in your life. 

Also, the opposite of this is being told you are an unfocused spaz. Or just being put on meds that dull your mind. So yeah, sorry you need to see a therapist because people believed in you. *roll eyes*

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

^They figured that out millenniums ago. The "field of education" is only 100 years old? Seems legit.

Wot?

edit: I'm guessing the simile he used was confusing. He is comparing education to ancient astrology.

Edited by Hurlsnot

1 minute ago, rjshae said:

The first taxpayer-supported public school in the US was established in 1639. It has been around for a while.

education has been around much longer than 1639, but a separate field o' study for education is relative new and real world application is limited almost entire to teaching of children. 

seven thousand years ago if you were learning to be a farmer or hunter you would be taught by a farmer or hunter. is no different today... at the university level. is highly unlikely your professor o' physics at princeton or berkeley has a background in education. you wanna learn to be a physicist and are willing to pay to be educated? your teachers is gonna be people who has studied the subject in which you wish to gain knowledge and/or proficiency. 

unlike university courses or truck driving or cooking (or pretty much anything else) if you wanna teach kids in the US, you is expected to have some bear minimum knowledge in the subject matter you teach, but you need have substantial hours o' classwork completed in education specific. education as a distinct field o' study is newish. knowledge and proficiency in education as a pre req to teach kids is having even less tradition.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just now, Hurlsnot said:

I'll have to pick that book up when I'm looking to be depressed. :p

I'm joking, it looks good. 

Ping me when you get around to it. Legitimately interested in hearing an educator's take

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The Times - Pet website targets puppy sale frauds

A website that sells pets has helped to secure scores of fraud prosecutions after drafting in cyberanalysts and turning detective.

Digital forensics experts brought in by the website Pets4Homes in collaboration with the charity Animal Protection Services have secured 85 prosecutions with 35 cases pending decisions.

The proliferation of online fraud in the market for puppies has resulted in unscrupulous breeders carrying out complex frauds, with some creating fake families and using apparently middle-class houses to dupe buyers. Many of the puppies are imported illegally or bred in cruel conditions and sold despite being sick or dying.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

the fire is changing winds in our area. typical winds where we live is westerly (west-to-east.) with a predictable daily shift being a change 'tween south westerly to north westerly. current, when it gets cooler in the eve, the smoke from the fire is actual being sucked down into the foothills where we live to the west o' tahoe. am getting genuine easterly winds for 'bout 1/3 of the day.

HA! Good Fun!

• Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

233356366_10159488180874350_812101762756

Spirituality seems out of place?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

9 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Spirituality seems out of place?

True enough. I imagine it can depend on the type of spirituality? Is spirituality meant to be the opposite of raging cynicism? 😄

I mostly thought it made an interesting change from all the "red flag" alerts that float around.

4 minutes ago, Raithe said:

True enough. I imagine it can depend on the type of spirituality? Is spirituality meant to be the opposite of raging cynicism? 😄

I mostly thought it made an interesting change from all the "red flag" alerts that float around.

Thinking about it, I guess I have no idea what spirituality even means in the context of that graphic. A vague, nonbinding belief in the supernatural? Openmindness regarding the supernatural and religious? Shunning of organized religion? Strong belief in the holy ghost? Willingness to ignore all the crap in the world in order to feel content and accepting of your daily life?

Spirituality is very vague and wide-ranging as a concept, really.

• Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

6 minutes ago, Raithe said:

240722687_10225267524304842_843676540103

That's an incredibly huge stretch that ignores the fact people might just get tired of ads touting 'Pumpkin Spice' in everything.

Also I find interesting the declaration that it is only women who eat/drink pumpkin spice flavored things.  Is that true?  Is there research indicating men do not eat or drink pumpkin spice things ever?

(the world of coffee escapes me, so I dunno what's going on).

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

23 minutes ago, Amentep said:

That's an incredibly huge stretch that ignores the fact people might just get tired of ads touting 'Pumpkin Spice' in everything.

Also I find interesting the declaration that it is only women who eat/drink pumpkin spice flavored things.  Is that true?  Is there research indicating men do not eat or drink pumpkin spice things ever?

(the world of coffee escapes me, so I dunno what's going on).

Hey, I'm English. My understanding is fixed on tea not coffee.

Although mostly only my American friends who are women really talk about pumpkin spice and their love of it.  The guys I know mostly reference it with memes over September - November.

• Like 1

A school opted out of a free meals program because they didn't want kids to 'become spoiled' (upworthy.com)

Thousands of children across the United States rely on free meals provided by their school districts in order to meet their daily nutrition requirements. As a result of the pandemic, young children were at greater risk of food insecurity. Therefore, returning to in-person schooling and summer food programs offer some of the country's most marginalized students an opportunity to access at least one wholesome meal a day. The Waukesha School District board in Wisconsin, however, decided to opt out of a federally funded program that would give free meals to all students regardless of family income. They claimed the program would make it easy for children to "become spoiled,"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2