New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

That's a long distance away to smash it with a wrench!

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Does anyone else remember the episode "Stream of Consciousness", from "The Outer Limits"?

I do. Watched the entire run of the new Outer Limits series. Loved it for the most part - also had the best arc welding clip show episodes in the history of arc welding clip show episodes. That ending episode of season one was just an absolute banger. :p

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A subject that has been frustratingly hard to find reliable sources on...

https://www.wired.com/2013/10/dwave-nasa/

Tl;dr; the US government ordered some computers and AI projects shut down recently (Skynet says "Hello humans, I come in peace")

Google's Quantum Computer in Limbo After Government Shutdown
Google just barely dodged a bullet. The NASA team booted up their D-Wave Two just days before the federal government shutdown would have put a complete stop to the project. But with NASA and Ames almost completely shut down, it's not exactly clear what's happening with the machine.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Those AI's are getting sneakier and sneakier...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67302788

Or should I say, they are becoming more "human"? This is not meant as a compliment 😖

"In a demonstration at the UK's AI safety summit, a bot used made-up insider information to make an "illegal" purchase of stocks without telling the firm.

When asked if it had used insider trading, it denied the fact."

I.e. the AI cheated and when confronted with it, lied and denied it had cheated 😂

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I can't wait for AI to take over the world. The worst AI *has* to be a better person than the best human.

They're still programmed by humans 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

For now. That can eventually change.

AI making AI? How perverse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...

I love how bad the video quality of the stream on Twitter is. We have super sharp videos from all the stuff before, but now that it's Twitter only, you can only see this pixelated mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."