New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

On 6/13/2022 at 10:33 PM, InsaneCommander said:

This feels rather amusing in the sense that we have absolutely no theory on what consciousness is (or, interestingly enough, what time is), so I'm not sure how they're going to argue for it either way. But yeah, coming up with a claim like that is probably not a good idea.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

See, the problem with all these new breakthroughs is that they will be too late to do anything for me, a 54 years old guy in *not* the best shape. ;)

Round is a shape! :p  But seriously, 54 is still young. You still have decades ahead of you, and the way some of this medical science is progressing, hopefully those can be good decades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

This feels rather amusing in the sense that we have absolutely no theory on what consciousness is (or, interestingly enough, what time is), so I'm not sure how they're going to argue for it either way. But yeah, coming up with a claim like that is probably not a good idea.

Yes, that is exactly the case here. But I think it is much easier to make a program that looks consciouss than one that actually is, even considering that we wouldn't know how to check which one we have.

sign.jpg

You just have to read that chatlog with the ai to see that it's not conscious. They basically went "are you conscious?" - "yes" - "AMAZING!!!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise – Again! NASA Spacecraft Reveals Asteroid Bennu Is Not What It Seemed

Scientists have learned something astonishing after analyzing data gathered when NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft collected a sample from asteroid Bennu in October 2020. The spacecraft would have sunk into the asteroid had it not fired its thrusters to back away immediately after it grabbed its sample of dust and rock from Bennu’s surface.

“Our expectations about the asteroid’s surface were completely wrong.” — Dante Lauretta, principal investigator of OSIRIS-REx

Unexpectedly, it turns out that the particles making up Bennu’s exterior are so loosely packed and lightly bound to each other that if a person were to step onto the asteroid they would feel very little resistance. It would be like stepping into a pit of plastic balls that are popular play areas for kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Trash source: Our empty oceans: Scots team’s research finds Atlantic plankton all but wiped out in catastrophic loss of life

The planet is almost certainly past its tipping point for humanity's survival on the scale to which we are accustomed to (i.e. 7 billion people); it will be curious to see how much longer it takes for entire food chains to collapse and start killing off human en masse as well. Will the planet be too far gone for that to matter by that point, or will killing off a substantial amount of humanity actually allow it to stabilize and eventually recover? The worst-off people in the poorest parts of the world are certain to be the ones affected the most by it at least initially, while the majority of us will likely be fine for the remainder of our lives (though less can be said for the our descendants). "Interesting" times ahead as always, it would seem...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Trash source: Our empty oceans: Scots team’s research finds Atlantic plankton all but wiped out in catastrophic loss of life

The planet is almost certainly past its tipping point for humanity's survival on the scale to which we are accustomed to (i.e. 7 billion people); it will be curious to see how much longer it takes for entire food chains to collapse and start killing off human en masse as well. Will the planet be too far gone for that to matter by that point, or will killing off a substantial amount of humanity actually allow it to stabilize and eventually recover? The worst-off people in the poorest parts of the world are certain to be the ones affected the most by it at least initially, while the majority of us will likely be fine for the remainder of our lives (though less can be said for the our descendants). "Interesting" times ahead as always, it would seem...

Welp, there goes the Soylent Green...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 weeks later...

Padme's crotch can survive more than 14000 newtons of force (force, not "The Force")

Some geeky person looked up Natalie Portman's weight (53.5kg, yes this all scientific stuff, hence metric!), calculated the height of the pillar and according to lore, the planets gravity is 90% of Earths... so 8.82 meter per second. Normal human bones gets destroyed when exposed to 4000 Newtons

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein