New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

2 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

so anyone knows what was this about?

Rumor has it this is going to be an image of Sgr A* by the Event Horizon Telescope.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

20 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The article doesn't mention it, but this object is called Sagittarius A*, or Sgr A*. I'll be curious to see how similar it looks to the SMBH in M87, since I suspect the accretion disk in Sgr A* may orbit close to the galactic plane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Yeah, Sgr A* is a lot smaller than M87, so I think theyre about to show how their imaging technique has improved.

In the angular sense they are about the same size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

It's very cool that they are finally able to assemble direct graphical evidence of an SMBH now. Perhaps the next step will be to produce animated images so we can actually see the accretion disk in operation? At any rate, another huge accomplishment for science.

51 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

at least we are still consistent with 'in 30 years'

ITER, however, isn't designed to generate electricity; but tokamaks based on ITER that will, called DEMO reactors, are now being designed and could be working by 2051.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hey, what's the rush. Steam engines were old before someone made a working internal combustion engine ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A review of the latest expansion for The Universe...

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The ‘Benjamin Button’ effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice. The goal is to do the same for humans

Using proteins that can turn an adult cell into a stem cell, Sinclair and his team have reset aging cells in mice to earlier versions of themselves. In his team’s first breakthrough, published in late 2020, old mice with poor eyesight and damaged retinas could suddenly see again, with vision that at times rivaled their offspring’s.

This research is both intriguing and rather scary. When the immortality drugs become available, will the current rulers and wealthy stay on top forever? I'm picturing Putin and Trump here, for example, as eternal despots.

7 minutes ago, rjshae said:

The ‘Benjamin Button’ effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice. The goal is to do the same for humans

This research is both intriguing and rather scary. When the immortality drugs become available, will the current rulers and wealthy stay on top forever? I'm picturing Putin and Trump here, for example, as eternal despots.

Is that a rhetorical question? 🤔

It's extremely worrying if something like this would come out in my mind, not just because of Eternal Emperors, but just the fact that we'd need to feed everyone still.

Dammit, now I need to rewatch Altered Carbon. 😕

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

48 minutes ago, rjshae said:

In the 584th year of the war in Ukraine, Putin declared victory for the 173th time at Mariupol (although the 68th “capture” of the city is still disputed, we’re the defenders actually driven out before they returned?)

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, rjshae said:

There is one thing I'm wondering, though ... If rich people will live forever, maybe they will finally start caring about the environment? Right now, all those old ****s couldn't give less of a **** because they won't live through it anyways. Who knows, maybe it'll change once they can't die anymore for another 100 years?

Then again, they probably just build a huge walled-off garden, or buy their own continent and everyone else lives in the squalor.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

21 hours ago, rjshae said:

I'm okay with Trump staying young forever as long as it's Ivanka Trump. :brows:

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

16 hours ago, Lexx said:

There is one thing I'm wondering, though ... If rich people will live forever, maybe they will finally start caring about the environment? Right now, all those old ****s couldn't give less of a **** because they won't live through it anyways. Who knows, maybe it'll change once they can't die anymore for another 100 years?

Then again, they probably just build a huge walled-off garden, or buy their own continent and everyone else lives in the squalor.

Cf. the plot for Elysium (2013).

While I'm not generally in favour of testing drugs on animals, these tests were non lethal and somewhat amusing...

Seems like humans are no the only species where the male prefer to drown their sorrow in alcohol if rejected by females 🙄

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1