New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

A New 3,200-Megapixel Camera Has Astronomers Salivating

The world's biggest digital camera is finally coming into focus. While a very powerful personal camera might have megapixel resolution, astronomers have constructed a device that will image the distant universe with 3.2 gigapixel resolution.

But how long until it comes with a phone?

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 weeks later...

That is renewable I can get behind, I am wondering about its lifespan tho, I know that sea water can be very demanding. Whats it made from?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yeah, saltwater shows no mercy. Unfortunately, their own website doesnt describe the construction materials, but theres a cool YouTube short which shows a real life one in action: AWS Waveswing trials exceed expectations - AWS Ocean Energy

Imagine deploying fleets of them offshore to just produce energy 24/7/365. Amazing.

9 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Not sure where to post this. The Funny thread? Politics?

"This is what his vision of the future man looks like." Then you see 1:31. 🤣

Kids these days, they just don’t make them how they used to 😝

I blame video games and watching too much anime 😂

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yup. All's going well. I have a close friend working in mission control at the JSC who's been sending me pics taken from the inside of the Orion spacecraft as it coasts to the moon. The inside of that craft looks so very cool; very modern, even nicer than anything seen in recent sci-fi movies or TV shows. :)

• 3 weeks later...

New research links common sweetener with anxiety

Florida State University College of Medicine researchers have linked aspartame, an artificial sweetener found in nearly 5,000 diet foods and drinks, to anxiety-like behavior in mice.

Along with producing anxiety in the mice who consumed aspartame, the effects extended up to two generations from the males exposed to the sweetener. The study is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Okay, now this one is concerning. Aspartame is widely consumed, so imagine what impact it might have on society.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

New research links common sweetener with anxiety

Okay, now this one is concerning. Aspartame is widely consumed, so imagine what impact it might have on society.

I mean, I've always known that artificial crap is poison. I don't understand why the solution to too much sugar is to eat some chemicals created in a lab. Just give me the damn sugar.

• Like 1

Rodents may be the default lab animal for testing but they're intrinsically poor when it comes to aspartame- they actually lack the receptors that make it sweet to us, for example. I've always liked dioxin toxicity as the go to to show how big differences in effects can be; hamsters and guinea pigs have a 1000 fold difference in toxicity and that's despite both being rodents.

(Aspartame is one of those chemicals where bad effects make a lot of sense in theory as it will dissociate to methanol, aspartic acid and phenyalanine all of which may have bad effects. Aspartic acid and phenylalanine are both essential amino acids though so will be present naturally, and the amounts of methanol you get from it... well, don't drink beer or spirits, or eat bread, if you're worried the levels of methanol you'd be exposed to from a typical dose of aspartame. Aspartic acid causes anxiety and that is where that effect comes from. Really though, who drinks 1.5-2L of diet soda per day anyway?)

• Like 1

Yep. Unfortunately, I know a lot of people who chug diet soda like it's water because no or very low calories. 

I've never been able to stomach the taste and/or aftertaste of any artificial sweetener I've ever tried so I don't personally get the addiction but I do see it a lot.  I also don't like natural no calorie sweeteners either, so there's that. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

13 minutes ago, Lexx said:

And here I am, just drinking tap water all day long.

I do aswell.

Well, after I boil it and steep it in coffee beans :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

12 hours ago, Lexx said:

And here I am, just drinking tap water all day long.

Same. Well, it goes from the tap, into a Brita pitcher, then drank. Also coffee (but mostly in the evening instead of the morning) and IPA beers. I should cut the beer out but its super strong (for a beer) so I only need to drink a few to catch a buzz. I never ever drink pop.

I bought a water filter a couple months ago. It's connected to the faucet and acts like a switch with a small lever. The water is re-routed through the filter and comes back through another, smaller faucet. It's great, didn't regret buying that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

18 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yep. Unfortunately, I know a lot of people who chug diet soda like it's water because no or very low calories. 

I've never been able to stomach the taste and/or aftertaste of any artificial sweetener I've ever tried so I don't personally get the addiction but I do see it a lot.  I also don't like natural no calorie sweeteners either, so there's that. 

I used to be the same... but these days I prefer Coke Zero (or whatever they call it now) as well as the "Diet" Schweppes Ginger Ale. Not out of health concerns (that would be hypocritical of me considering what else I expose my body to), but because I prefer the flavour over the regular sugar sweetened versions 🤷‍♂️

Not that I get them often, but it happens, especially when the weather's very hot, as drinking filtered water all day long gets a bit boring (and you do drink a lot of water when it's hot and humid down here) 😝

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein