Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Thats interesting, I didnt realize that. I thought you Americans just called Tomato sauce Ketchup 

We use Tomato sauce extensively on chips and with fish and most meals. So in almost all breakfast restaurants, like the Wimpy franchise, you find a bottle of Tomato sauce on the table. I always forget the distinction in the USA when I have been their and I remember my last visit in Vegas I was at the MGM food court and  I asked the table next to me " if they finished with the tomato sauce could I use it " .....they looked at me confused and then someone said "oh, he means the Ketchup " :biggrin:

Their are several brands in SA but this is what is the best overall 

https://www.defarmer.co.za/product/all-gold-tomato-sauce-700ml/

In the US, tomato sauce isn't typically made with vinegar and sugar like ketchup, but instead with oil, stock or broth and spices. 

30 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

#TeamSauerkrautOnHotDogs

The best hot dog for me is topped with cole slaw, chilli, onions (if not in the chilli) and maybe mustard.  Can't say I've ever done Sauekraut on a hot dog, although my mom used to cut up hotdogs and put IN her Sauerkraut (but I think it was a substitute for some other sausage).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Just the thought of a mushroom based ketchup makes me dry heave. :lol: But the eternal question remains; ketchup or catsup? 

You make me laugh with your food idiosyncrasies :lol: 

You dont like banana on pizza and now I find out you dont like a mushroom based ketchup....I am  going to  be honest the chance of you and I get married is sounding more and more unlikely as each year goes by :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

39 minutes ago, Amentep said:

The best hot dog for me is topped with cole slaw, chilli, onions (if not in the chilli) and maybe mustard. 

Slaw and chili as a topping combination is a big thing where I live (read: The Carolinas), we put it on all sorts of meat.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

58 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Just the thought of a mushroom based ketchup makes me dry heave. :lol: But the eternal question remains; ketchup or catsup? 

I confess I'm curious about mushroom ketchup now.  I bet with the right spices it'd be a good sauce for certain meats.  As an aside, the early recipes for tomato ketchup had anchovies(!!!!!) in it.  The progenitor of ketchup was a pickled fish brine sauce, which may explain the anchovy...

As to ketchup vs catsup, if the etymologies for the word are correct, ketchup may come closer (the exact etymology isn't known, but the thought is that it comes from the Chinese kê-chiap) which was, as mentioned above a pickled brine sauce.  There are some similar words also thought to possibly be the origin that are closer to soy sauces.

46 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

You make me laugh with your food idiosyncrasies :lol: 

You dont like banana on pizza and now I find out you dont like a mushroom based ketchup....I am  going to  be honest the chance of you and I get married is sounding more and more unlikely as each year goes by :teehee:

The only fruit needed for a pizza is a tomato.

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Slaw and chili as a topping combination is a big thing where I live (read: The Carolinas), we put it on all sorts of meat.

I'm not sure here that I've seen slaw and chili on anything other than hot dogs - but on hot dogs it is popular.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'm not sure here that I've seen slaw and chili on anything other than hot dogs - but on hot dogs it is popular.

Carolinians commonly put it on pulled pork, hamburgers, and hot dogs.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

A spicy chicken sandwich without slaw is worse than one with slaw. Not sure if topping it with chilli would be good though.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

A spicy chicken sandwich without slaw is worse than one with slaw. Not sure if topping it with chilli would be good though.

Slaw is good on pretty much everything. I find that on burgers and hot dogs chili in addition to the slaw is beneficial to the overall flavor. On pulled pork I don't hate chili on there, but I prefer just slaw. I don't think I've ever had it on chicken.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Slaw is good on pretty much everything. I find that on burgers and hot dogs chili in addition to the slaw is beneficial to the overall flavor. On pulled pork I don't hate chili on there, but I prefer just slaw. I don't think I've ever had it on chicken.

If you have any hot chicken places by you, they tend to put slaw on those sandwiches as opposed to lettuce and tomato. It adds much better texture and flavor imo.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Saw videos on the Impossible burger meat (Burger King has an Impossible Whopper apparently, and you can get it as ground "beef" at a store). Plant based, frankenstein lab food or something. "Everyone" saying it tastes just like, or almost just like, real beef. Unlike real meat, it has a bit of carbs but not too bad. It is not low-fat and currently costs more than real hamburger. Was curious, so I bought two pre-formed burger patties made of the stuff.

Pan fried them. Used olive oil in the pan. They stuck like crazy, to the point I took them out, washed the pan, then put them back in. Once already browned a bit they don't stick as much. They smelled ... maybe like 80% real cooking beef. I ate one as patty only, hubby made a sandwich/burger out of his. As (pan fried) patty alone, no weird taste, aftertaste, or texture, and the flavor was kind of like ... well, a much less spiced/less flavorful breakfast sausage maybe. eg, not really like beef, but tastes enough like meat I'd eat it.  With condiments/bread I'd imagine it'd be quite fine. Far better than those other plant burger things I've ever tried.

Still - as my husband says ... "You know what else tastes just like beef? Beef."

But I guess if you're really concerned about cows and the environment, or a vegan really jonesing for meat flavor, it'd work, if you don't mind the frankenstein lab aspect.  Getting closer to Asimov's Caves of Steel fake yeast-based meat/protein reference ... I forget what he called it ... zyvomeal? ... that Earth humans were eating because of resource shortages.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The impossible meat stuff is so weird to me because I love a decent grilled veggie burger. I don't need it to taste like meat if it is just well seasoned veggies, beans, quinoa, or whatever else. But the impossible burger turns me off because I don't know what is in it. I assume jackfruit, but the lab stuff creeps me out.

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

The impossible meat stuff is so weird to me because I love a decent grilled veggie burger. I don't need it to taste like meat if it is just well seasoned veggies, beans, quinoa, or whatever else. 

That's the dilemma my wife and I go through. Some people like veggie burgers tasting like veggies and others want them to taste like meat and my wife is in the first camp and I'm in the latter. I actually like impossible burgers and used to eat them all the time but it's important to note that it's not really a healthy option and is highly processed.

• Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Yeah, Impossible Meat is not a "healthy alternative" to meat, it's for the folks that feel bad for eating animals but still want something that vaguely resembles meat in taste. Since I have no such aversion I just eat Possible Meat. 

My 1 rule is I will not eat anything I have ever had as a pet, so currently that only rules out cat and rat (I cross my fingers and hope that's actually chicken when I get Chinese). I have considered getting a pet pig in the future, which would mean no more bacon for me.🙀

Edit: Crap, I shouldn't have made that joke about Chinese food, our overlords might be monitoring this. I better start kowtowing now just in case. :shifty:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

20 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

it's important to note that it's not really a healthy option and is highly processed.

Indeed.

Impossible-Burger-ingredients-nutrition.

If I just wanted no-meat veggies on some bread w/condiments, myself I'd probably just grill some eggplant or a huge mushroom, bell pepper and yellow onions and slap a huge slice of tomato/pickle on top. Something like that.  Impossible beef is interesting to me since I can seriously see some distant future with a lot of sci-fi lab foodstuff being the norm for not-super-rich people (lack of water, farmable land, environment etc). I'll hopefully be dead by then tho. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Are yall telling me mixed tocopherols isn't healthy?

I've never had Impossible, but I've had the other brand of meat knockoff veggie paste. Beyond Meat I think, the burgers were ok but the sausage had an awful texture. Probably wouldn't go put of my way to get it.

I've eaten several kinds of meat (snake, goat, chicken, pig, duck, fish) that I've also had as pets but they weren't those same pets. I'd never eat a cat or dog or any actual pet of mine though. I do try to eat less meat because I do feel bad about it and tend to go for the more humanely raised stuff though non-factory farmed pork is especially difficult to find sometimes.

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I've eaten several kinds of meat (snake, goat, chicken, pig, duck, fish) that I've also had as pets but they weren't those same pets. I'd never eat a cat or dog or any actual pet of mine though. I do try to eat less meat because I do feel bad about it and tend to go for the more humanely raised stuff though non-factory farmed pork is especially difficult to find sometimes.

You live in Colorado. You should take up hunting. You’ve got elk and mule deer a plenty and some of the best hunting areas in all the USA. Plus I happen to know that you know how to shoot. I’m like you. The animals that I have bought as livestock ended up being pets with names. Oh but I find wild game easier because I don’t know their names.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

19 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Geez, that soy will kill me.

Are you particularly sensitive to soy or something?

I kept hearing "avoid soy" and even after reading about it I'm not sure what the really negative thing is about, outside of maybe infants, or huge over-intake.  Is the negative press meant more for the processed soy? I could understand that, like with any over processed stuff. Or GMO reasons?  Edit: outside of using soy sauce in some of my sauces (and some processed goods, before, ofc), I don't really eat it myself much - just not into it taste wise is all.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I'm not Hurlshot, but...

4 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Are you particularly sensitive to soy or something?

Allergies... also to wheat and peanuts, I think. Perfectly certain on the wheat, less so on the peanuts (vs. actual nuts, and all). :yes:

9 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I kept hearing "avoid soy" and even after reading about it I'm not sure what the really negative thing is about, outside of maybe infants, or huge over-intake.  Is the negative press meant more for the processed soy? I could understand that, like with any over processed stuff. Or GMO reasons?  Edit: outside of using soy sauce in some of my sauces (and some processed goods, before, ofc), I don't really eat it myself much - just not into it taste wise is all.

Soy farming isn't that great for the environment, and eating too much of it can cause hormonal problems.

Well, actually, it's more like farmers illegally burning down wood to farm soy beans that's causing the problems, but they'd also do that for animal farming. It just puts a real damper into the going vegan to save the planet spin.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 minute ago, majestic said:

Allergies.

That'll do it.  😄

2 minutes ago, majestic said:

Well, actually, it's more like farmers illegally burning down wood to farm soy beans that's causing the problems, but they'd also do that for animal farming. It just puts a real damper into the going vegan to save the planet spin.

Ah.
Deforestation is a problem even outside of farming aspects, imo.  Not sure what "we're" going to do about it, if anything (lasting).