What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

So the hand grenade issue I've been handed is not an issue any more because they wanted a post mortem and it hasn't happened since.  They were shaking their cage about this all last month and this one, but suddenly it's ok.  I get the sense the guy just wants to go on vacation early.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hubby:  "How do you spell 'errand', like you have to go do something? Searching isn't helping..." 

...I mention this only because, afterwards, I tried typing "airund" and "airrund" into search, which I bet is similar to what hubby probably tried before calling to me.  Try it, even Google won't think "did you mean errand?"   Which is interesting/kind of surprising, actually.  Google-fail! haha.  Dictionaries/search only help if your phonetic spelling is kind of close to what you're looking for.  :lol:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Last week I took my younger cat(Ignus/4yo/male) to the vet. For the first time in my life not only did I see him angry, but also furious. He grabbed my feet and teared up my entire body all the way up to my arm. I had to use both of my hands and my entire weight just to keep him away from me until he eventually let go of me(should have yelled instead of wrestling him). I was shocked! I thought it was his teeth for sure because he also stopped eating the way he used to but surprisingly, the vet told us that his teeth look just fine. I dunno, I was never aggressive towards Ignus but he does have a case of PTSD because he was left alone on the streets in the cold of the winter when he was only 3-2 months old. So he always needs cuddles and I guess I ignored the poor fella a bit. I've been playing with him an hour a day ever since and he is doing fine. Let's hope he doesn't tear my face apart when I am asleep because I ain't giving them away. ;)

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Hubby: "Since you can't eat bad carbs anymore, I went to Home Depot and bought these. Merry Xmas!"
*drops a bunch of clothes washer sink lint socks on top of my head*

Happy Holiday everyone.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

bored-cat.jpg

The internet is great because you can always find some picture somewhere to express how you're feeling any given day. That is basically me for several days. :p
...btw, the 55" TV is already feeling too small - if I want to sit farther away/not at the desk, I mean.  What I need is a ceiling rail track mounting system so I can move the TV closer/farther by pulling on it or a handle, like a curtain.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Thank you.

I don't seem to have the attention span for a title that long and missed it going through three years of topis :)

melkie it sounds like you were being lazy...you know that is one of the naughty things we dont do ?

Please dont make me revoke your Internet privilege's like I nearly did with Mamie...neither of us wants that kind of punishment :aiee:

• Gasp! 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 12/28/2020 at 12:06 AM, LadyCrimson said:

bored-cat.jpg

The internet is great because you can always find some picture somewhere to express how you're feeling any given day. That is basically me for several days. :p
...btw, the 55" TV is already feeling too small - if I want to sit farther away/not at the desk, I mean.  What I need is a ceiling rail track mounting system so I can move the TV closer/farther by pulling on it or a handle, like a curtain.

This is such a classic cute cat photo....I thought initially it was your real cat :cat:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I thought initially it was your real cat 

Much as I miss having a cat, I think at this point it's pretty doubtful I'd get another one until/if we aren't living in this tiny box house - at least with how we've divided up the room usage. Our previous house was larger and better suited to pet separation issues: I'm somewhat allergic to cats, with mild nose and welts/hives from prolonged contact. It's not super severe but that means closed bedroom doors, changing/washing clothes mega-frequently and other things like that - I'm not young and energetic anymore.

...although, soon as we had/have a bigger house,I might suddenly go back to adopting every stray cat I come across, playing games on the couch with my hair all up-floofy while constantly sneezing and welts all over my face.... never can tell what I'm going to do.   :-

• Like 1

Since I bought that big box of Game of Thrones, i suppose I better get started watching it... Episode 3 so far (first season) 😛

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I woke up very early this morning, got up, shuffled around the house, said "it's cold," shuffled back to bed, and went back to sleep.

I woke up early this afternoon ...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

Since I bought that big box of Game of Thrones, i suppose I better get started watching it... Episode 3 so far (first season) 😛

So how much of the show was spoiled for you already? I mean... talk about the show was so ubiquitous that it was impossible to avoid spoilers even if you tried. Heh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Different minds take spoilers very differently, I think. Years and years ago, I noticed that people who get very upset about spoilers pretty much always remember exactly what the spoiler was about, who/what it pertained to, what it would probably mean, etc...so I decided to start making an active effort to not care at all about spoilers. I wouldn't go seeking them out or anything, but if I saw them, I wouldn't get upset or pay much heed. I've since discovered that I'm now basically impossible to spoil unless someone is actually deliberately trying to spoil something I'm currently watching/playing/reading (and sometimes not even then), because my brain just doesn't pay enough attention to it to really fully register it or try to make it fit into what I know of the media. I've given this advice to other people before, but it doesn't seem to be for everyone, :p.

I've watched Lindsay Ellis' several hours-long Game of Thrones summary/analysis, and I'm pretty sure almost none of it would affect how I would watch Game of Thrones (I have not seen a single episode) since I didn't make any mental effort to specifically note any of the character progressions or plot points.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 hours ago, majestic said:

So how much of the show was spoiled for you already? I mean... talk about the show was so ubiquitous that it was impossible to avoid spoilers even if you tried. Heh.

Some of it. Hard to avoid when watching related/suggested youtube videos. I know that Daenerys, Cersei and most others will be dead at the end of season 8. But much of the detail is still for me to explore between the beginning and the end. Almost done with episode 8 now. Two more episodes left of first season and I really like it so far. Favourite character at the moment? Probably a toss up between Arya and Eddard Stark. The first for being a spirited character and the latter for at least trying to do "the right thing". Honourable mention to Petyr Baelish and Varys for being some very, very interesting characters.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yay, the first patch day of the year. Granted... not much to do other than shutting down batch processing which can be timed and then turning it back on when the Windows updates are through, but meh.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Different minds take spoilers very differently, I think. Years and years ago, I noticed that people who get very upset about spoilers pretty much always remember exactly what the spoiler was about, who/what it pertained to, what it would probably mean, etc...so I decided to start making an active effort to not care at all about spoilers.

I don't mind spoilers that much, even though I remember them, or rather, make no active effort to not remember them. Either the plot twist or development is good enough to work on its own even when you know it is coming or it's not worth getting upset over. If someone told me, before watching Star Trek TNG, that Tasha Yar would die in die first season, well, that's that. It was a completely pointless and random death in one of the episodes that only happened due to Denise Crosby wanting to get out of the show. Having it spoiled as meaningless as the death of her character is.

As someone who read the books before the show was even as much as an idea at HBO (well except the fifth one, that came out while the show was already running) I knew all the major plot points already. Well, at least until the show overtook the books, "coincidentally" a point where the quality of the writing took a turn for the worse. That did not change my enjoyment of the show.

Hell, sometimes casting choices are a spoiler. When I see Michelle Rodriguez in a movie it's a surprise if her character survives (or a deliberate deconstruction like in Machete :p).

And it helped in understanding the super rushed ending where Dany loses control and simply burns everything down. Her going apesh*t like that isn't much of a surprise for book readers who pay attention, Martin spends a lot of time putting up subtle and sometimes not so subtle hints that she's a nutjob. Including a red herring. As the saying goes, a Targaryen sanity is up to the toss of a coin. Readers are expected to assume that since her brother was a nutjob that she'll be the sane Targaryen. But nah. Girl's a loony. It just never showed that much in the show because she's much more reasonable in her actions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the most iron-clad spoiler-protection ever available - poor memory retention/recall for anything that isn't repeated (by ME) 100x in a short period of time.

Used to know this guy who, months after seeing a movie, could stand in our living room and still quote entire scenes between characters nearly word for word.  This was before the internet, mind you. Most of the time, months later I couldn't even tell you what most of the characters names are, let alone much of anything outside of main plot points.

• Like 1

I'm sort of that way myself, but only if it was a really amazing movie, or more typical in my case, game. I still haven't replayed Witcher 3 because I've got it almost all memorized.

Then again, if you were to ask me to say, take out the trash I'll forget it 15 seconds after you said it.

Drinking some hot chocolate. With Cointreau. It. Is. AMAZING!!! 🤩

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Oh I'll remember game stuff - but that's in the vein of (me) repeating something 100x.  When one spends 300, 500, 1000, 3000 hours playing a game, you're going to remember things.

But if I was watching a game trailer or game review that spoiled something, I wouldn't remember it at all.  Edit: and I generally don't watch a movie more than a few times, these days often not even twice. Back when, there were some early utter favorite films I rewatched up to 6 of 10 times on VHS (ah, VHS), but that's now extremely rare even if I liked something a lot.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Ah, fun, remembering dialogue. There was a time, many years back, where I could quote the entire original Star Wars trilogy, scene by scene. Today I need to see the movies to quote along to prod my memory a bit, but remembering things generally still works very well.

Former colleague of mine watched Star Trek: The Undiscoverd Country during his lunch break at work, at he end of the film he removed his headphones from the laptop, and I heard Spock say "Go to hell", so anyway, I look at him and go:

"Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning."

Kirk quoting Peter Pan there, and all that.

Heh.

People sometimes get annoyed when I do that. Managed to make someone leave the cinema once by talking over the first Lord of the Rings movie. In my defense, it was a triple feature for the Return of te King premiere, so come on. Plenty of time to see that film before that. :p

Also plenty of free seats, could have gone someplace else he could (see that's me trying to justify being obnoxious in the theatre).

• Haha 1