The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

9 hours ago, Raithe said:

vid

am predicting a whole lotta artistic license which will incense many o' the few thousand o' us folks who actual read foundation. won't bother or suprise us personal as we understand the need for adapting to a different audience and medium, but there will be complaints. inevitable. 

asimov's "book" were one o' the original grand works o' science fiction. weren't a book, not original. foundation were serialized in a pulpy scif mag. the eventual book were a collection o' related short stories which, if followed religious by the apple folks, would confuse the heck outta many folks who just watched the trailer. is short stories and nevertheless the pacing were glacial, almost literal. a whole lotta non-action events progressed over the course o' a thousand years. 

don't misunderstand our observations as criticism. we enjoyed foundation, particularly as a somewhat pretentious teen reading a delrey version back in the early 80s. still recall the kewl michael whelan cover art which much as anything had us buy the series entire (lightly used) at a church flea market sale when we could ill afford to do so. 

am not gonna spoil, but the first book especial, is not akin to star wars or even dune

edward gibbons' series, the history of the decline of the roman empire were not suitable to be made into a movie save as a documentary, and foundation itself as a movie/series would most accurate work if embracing a documentary style. not gonna happen. if decline of the roman empire were in far future and could be replicated in five short stories 'stead o' six volume, you would have something similar to foundation. were so fantastic.

'course gibbons work were (kinda) made into a movie, so...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Something's gotta be said about a gender-bended Salvor Hardin packing a long gun. Kinda hot.

Last refuge of the incompetent, indeed.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

2 hours ago, Leferd said:

Last refuge of the incompetent, indeed.

particular apropos message for our times.

then again, and at least somewhat to the point, history should teach us how our times is not as unique as it should be save for inevitably o' our fail to learn over and over and over again.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

19 hours ago, Gromnir said:

particular apropos message for our times.

then again, and at least somewhat to the point, history should teach us how our times is not as unique as it should be save for inevitably o' our fail to learn over and over and over again.

HA! Good Fun!

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:45 PM, kanisatha said:

Yet another thing where my preferences place me in the minority. I loved Enterprise, loved both Archer and T'Pol as characters, and yes even liked the theme song!:)  So it really bothered me that the Trekkie purists attacked the show so much that it ended up getting the axe. The things I love always end up getting the axe.

I agree on the theme song becauseI like cheesy rock ballads, and while every Star Trek captain in the history of Trek has an episode or two of being strange, weird, a moron, or out of character  (unless you're Janeway, then being out of character means 50% of your episodes) Archer's is particularily bad. Just... bad. Boy. A Night In Sickbay is a strong contender for being the worst episode in all of Star Trek, and that includes both Picard and Discovery.

On 6/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, ShadySands said:

Les Moonves is why the show got the axe though

I'm also still in the fist half of the first season and I've heard it starts to get a lot better at some point

Yes, in season three. But first it gets worse. A lot. Then it gets interesting, even becomes really good at times - and everything is followed up by the worst Trek final in the history of ever. Discovery might have a chance to top it perhaps. :p

edit:

Also do yourself a favor and skip "A Night In Sickbay" until you've watched the entire show. Otherwise you might stop there and leave it for good. Some of the later episodes are really worth watching.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

I agree on the theme song becauseI like cheesy rock ballads, and while every Star Trek captain in the history of Trek has an episode or two of being strange, weird, a moron, or out of character  (unless you're Janeway, then being out of character means 50% of your episodes) Archer's is particularily bad. Just... bad. Boy. A Night In Sickbay is a strong contender for being the worst episode in all of Star Trek, and that includes both Picard and Discovery.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from, but for me it's a matter of context and perspective. You have to imagine what it would be like to be one of the first human spaceship captains going out there into deep space following first contact with alien civilizations. Don't know about you but I can tell you if it were me I would literally be the proverbial kid in a candy store, totally giddy and slap-happy with delight every single minute. I think that's what you see with Archer, and I can relate to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, majestic said:

(unless you're Janeway, then being out of character means 50% of your episodes)

My wife laughed so hard when I showed her this. That was her biggest complaint about Janeway and one of her main complaints about the entire show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

55 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Okay, I can see where you're coming from, but for me it's a matter of context and perspective. You have to imagine what it would be like to be one of the first human spaceship captains going out there into deep space following first contact with alien civilizations. Don't know about you but I can tell you if it were me I would literally be the proverbial kid in a candy store, totally giddy and slap-happy with delight every single minute. I think that's what you see with Archer, and I can relate to that.

This is where I struggle the most with the show right now. I love that excitement that they have but I'm also put off by how little caution and self-control they show.

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

This is where I struggle the most with the show right now. I love that excitement that they have but I'm also put off by how little caution and self-control they show.

Again, I totally get this. If it were real life, I would absolutely want and expect that our first ship captains out there exploring the galaxy be consummate pros. But in a TV show I am able to set aside my disbelief and embrace my inner child's sense of wonder and awesomeness.

Maybe it is a very personal thing. For me, Star Trek and other similar shows are not just cool science fiction. From the time I was a little kid, age around six or seven, I have been fascinated by space travel and exploration, and even started reading Arthur C. Clark's books about that time (met him once too a few years later). Always wanted to grow up to be an astronaut. When that dream became unrealistic, I settled for being an aerospace engineer so I could build spaceships. But as an international student in the U.S. and not a citizen, that didn't work out either, and my career path went a different direction. But to this day, I find myself staring at the stars on a clear night, and remain totally fascinated by what might be out there. Nothing here on Earth even comes close to interesting me or capturing my imagination as much as what may be out there. I would give everything I have for a seat on a Mars flight. :)

On 6/24/2020 at 8:48 AM, Raithe said:

Holy ****, this is actually happening. My favorite book series of all time, narrowly edging out The Dark Tower. I do wonder how Asimov will translate to the screen. His books tend to be quite slow at times, especially when he goes into 3 to 4 page long, meticulously detailed descriptions of technologies or theories. I imagine they'll mostly just skip or gloss over those parts.

Please don't **** this up. It's arguably the greatest sci-fi epic ever written.

Are they going to do the original trilogy, or are they doing the prequels and sequels as well? There's a definite drop off in quality to the sequels (still good, just not amazing like the trilogy) and an even steeper drop off to the prequels.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

As much as I enjoy waiting for the adaptation of one of Martin's ABCs of Science Fiction, I'm really pumped over the return of the works of the studio that brought us Pigs in Space.

I just finished Fire Saga, the Eurovision contest movie with Will Farrell. It has been getting some rough reviews, but I don't get it at all. First off, half the movie is set in beautiful Iceland, and then parts of Scotland, so from a visual perspective it is just fun to watch. It's also silly and light hearted, which is what I would expect from Farrell and what I wanted. It was a fun movie and I smiled the whole way through. It wasn't a gut busting comedy, but I was happy to watch something that made me smile.

Just finished the final season of Dark. It seems it actually is possible to wrap up nicely a long, complicated story with multiple plots and character arcs. Kudos to the creators for a great story.

• Like 1

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Hopefully they use Brotherhood of Steel as inspiration

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

18 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

And pick a cheesy rock ballad for the intro that feels totally out of place

not a rock ballad, but the following gets our vote

HA! Good Fun!

ps always confuses Gromnir how deadly serious many/most hardcore fallout fans is 'bout the original titles. we have listened to the pundits opine 'bout the influences o' german expressionism on fallout, we kid you not, but when we suggest much o' fallout were created with tongue obvious and firm in cheek, with a whole lotta camp being an essential quality o' fo, you would think we were indulging in the worst kinda sacrilege. 

Edited by Gromnir

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

What I really dislike is the growing balkanization of TV content. There's a lot of good content being produced, but it's spread out over a slew of different providers. If you're not a subscriber, you'll not be able to watch it.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

What I really dislike is the growing balkanization of TV content. There's a lot of good content being produced, but it's spread out over a slew of different providers. If you're not a subscriber, you'll not be able to watch it.

Amazon is easy. Free 2-day shipping pays for itself. 

Some of this stuff is going to fail and have to join with others (looking at you CBS.) But it also is why we are getting a ton of new and fairly unique content. Shows no longer get cancelled any more, they just jump services. Firefly would have ran 20 seasons in this market and we would all complain about how bad it has become. It is a glorious time.

• Like 1