Today - what you've done

Amentep

I've been juggling that stress of work, and chill at home thing. Also doing some of that last minute prep before heading out to Atlanta in a week or two to visit some friends and see what Anachro-Con is like (Steampunk Convention as you might guess). It's always fun to have that "I know I have an ESTA and passport that's valid, but I'm suddenly having that paranoia I made a mistake and have to triple check" a couple of weeks before flying out.

That quick check on what I'm taking and plotting out converting pounds to dollars - at least with the uncertainty of Brexit in the past and Trumps' governance, the exchange rate is going back up apparently. Now I have a week and a half to make sure work is all sorted and folks can handle me not being around and being a good data monkey for my holiday.

Of course, since I booked it all some months in advance, there's the joy of international flight and conventions while people are panicking over the Coronavirus.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

22 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

You could not go.  Assuming you really don't want to go. 
But then I'm someone who chose to have very little to do with almost all of my family more then two decades ago  - we're not hostile/they're not bad people or anything, but there were ... reasons ... -  so perhaps I'm not the best example.  :lol:

i could not go but my mother and grandma can't go if i don't take them and i'll never hear the end of it if i refuse.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I took Sunny to the vet today for bloodwork. So far she is responding well to the Denemarin. Her cortisol levels are high normal but improved from the diagnosis six months ago. As long as she keeps doing well on the med and I keep her diet strictly controlled (it already was) there is a good chance she can beat expectations and just keep going. I am very relieved. 

These two mutts mean a lot to me. 

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 2/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, teknoman2 said:

i could not go but my mother and grandma can't go if i don't take them and i'll never hear the end of it if i refuse.

Ah, that is more problematic. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, a while back, I was a real dead ender.  I'd pretty much thrown in the towel.  Weighed 400 pounds.  Rarely left the house.  Was just a complete loser.  I decided to do a few things.  I've lost over a hundred pounds and kept my weight down.  I decided that I needed to do something more for my community and entered an ELM program and became an RN.  I just got my license at the end of December and sent out resumes a week ago.  This morning, I got a phone call with a job offer.  Luckily, my previous history of management really helped.  What's best is that it's acute rehab.  I literally got my first choice for a job offer.  I might be a schmuck, but I interview well.  I've only got a couple of years left for my MSN, and then I plan, if I have the stamina and smarts left, to get my DNP (I think that's probably more appropriate for my goals than a PhD).  I know I'm just some random internet guy who apparently is off-putting to at least some of you glorious bastards, but I thought I'd share a milestone with you anyway.  Huzzah!

• Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

1 hour ago, MedicineDan said:

So, a while back, I was a real dead ender.  I'd pretty much thrown in the towel.  Weighed 400 pounds.  Rarely left the house.  Was just a complete loser.  I decided to do a few things.  I've lost over a hundred pounds and kept my weight down.  I decided that I needed to do something more for my community and entered an ELM program and became an RN.  I just got my license at the end of December and sent out resumes a week ago.  This morning, I got a phone call with a job offer.  Luckily, my previous history of management really helped.  What's best is that it's acute rehab.  I literally got my first choice for a job offer.  I might be a schmuck, but I interview well.  I've only got a couple of years left for my MSN, and then I plan, if I have the stamina and smarts left, to get my DNP (I think that's probably more appropriate for my goals than a PhD).  I know I'm just some random internet guy who apparently is off-putting to at least some of you glorious bastards, but I thought I'd share a milestone with you anyway.  Huzzah!

This seriously made me smile. :) Congrats - you deserve it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MedicineDan said:

Congratulations, the wheel does turn.  :)

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

23 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I took Sunny to the vet today for bloodwork. So far she is responding well to the Denemarin. Her cortisol levels are high normal but improved from the diagnosis six months ago. As long as she keeps doing well on the med and I keep her diet strictly controlled (it already was) there is a good chance she can beat expectations and just keep going. I am very relieved. 

These two mutts mean a lot to me. 

Post pics of doggos 🙏

21 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Post pics of doggos 🙏

There are some in the wag more bark less thread. I don't have too many of Bela. I've only had her for a short time. I should take more. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

You sir are an inspiration. Congratulations, good luck, and hats off to you. Not just for turning your life around but using it to help other folks. 

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

11 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

but I thought I'd share a milestone with you anyway.  Huzzah!

Congrats and well done 👍

I guess was part of the story behind the user name 😎

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Meeting with a potential business partner for lunch. We have been discussing a small business venture for a few weeks now. Real estate and property restoration and flood damage remediation. And other similar services. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Mother-in-law hurt her back and now wants to go back to Europaland where she's sure she can get good healthcare from the doctors she trusts without us going broke trying to pay for it. So now we're scrambling to purchase a ticket for her, canceling/trying to get a refund or at least credit for my father-in-law's ticket to come here in June, and get a babysitter in place until my son is old enough to go to his daycare in May. $$$

Free games updated 3/4/21

She has travel insurance and it doesn't really cover any diagnostics unless she gets admitted to the hospital as it's meant for emergencies. She went to urgent care for her back pain and they really scared her with what they thought is the likely issue and they recommended that she go to an ER to get a MRI which would likely be out of pocket unless she got admitted.

• Thanks 1

Ah, yeah, that's really too bad, ShadySands.  I'll pray for your Mother-in-law and the rest of your family.  healthcare issues are scary enough for their effects on your body, let alone fearing for your finances.

Also, good luck on your business venture, GD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Well done MedicineDan, it's impressive 😃

It's chaos at work, we've got a record number of people calling in "sick", probably because of being scared of the Corona virus. xD

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

In my place I suspect a lot are doing the same.  Well probably to drink Corona.

Am a groomsman for my friend's wedding, means I get to spend hours in a tuxdeo, joy.  At least I can avoid the requirement of needing to dance, I just need to get a Gucci and Louis scarf to swing in the air.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

In my place I suspect a lot are doing the same.  Well probably to drink Corona.

Am a groomsman for my friend's wedding, means I get to spend hours in a tuxdeo, joy.  At least I can avoid the requirement of needing to dance, I just need to get a Gucci and Louis scarf to swing in the air.

The most time I spent at a wedding (as an adult) was my sisters one, 15 minutes drive to pick up the the marriage officiant, 10 minutes of ceremony, then I drove the officiant to her next stop and went home. 👌

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I accidentally discovered CTRL+ALT+arrow keys at work, that amused me for weeks, teasing the coworkers until no end =D

I've had more than a couple interviews early in my career where I was just grilled on keyboard shortcuts. I thought it was a weird thing but then I've also had them ask me completely random questions that weren't job related as well. I'm guessing they saw/read/heard of some of the off the wall questions that Google was asking and they decided to do the same.