Today - what you've done

Amentep

Woke up, saw the unfinished sketch lying around. Decided to work on it over breakfast. Lost track of time and forgot to run most of my errands for the day.

Got in in the evening, touched up the sketch. Started work on the next one while pondering dinner. Lost track of time and forgot to have dinner...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Today was one of those days, where you wake up with watery eyes and a nasal cavity that feels like it's being scoured with sand paper...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-14/melbourne-air-quality-drops-to-hazardous-from-bushfire-smoke/11865178

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Oculus finally came in and my wife won't stop playing. She's hooked.

I can wholeheartedly sympathize! 😄 

I love Sairento and Beat Saber ❤️ 

I need to get my thumb out of my arse and get to the computerstore and buy a new tracking station and RMA the broken one I have. It's kind of hard to pull the thumb out of my arse when I need to drive 110km to get there, and also pay a fine for the priviledge of driving on the ****ty roads...

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

Today was one of those days, where you wake up with watery eyes and a nasal cavity that feels like it's being scoured with sand paper...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-14/melbourne-air-quality-drops-to-hazardous-from-bushfire-smoke/11865178

You could try one of these. If you're made of money. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WKZ1K/ref=psdc_510192_t4_B073GD2C3
They do have a "Jr" one that's only about $400 instead. :getlost:  But it's the brand FEMA/Red Cross touted during our 9/11, if that means anything.

...I've been tempted to try one myself lately, because allergies and sensitivities get worse and worse even in "clean" homes. Especially to formaldehyde/other VOC's.  I'll try a cheaper one first probably, tho.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I finished my 2nd round of antibiotics to get rid of the bacteria in my stomach a week ago, but now I have some weird white stuff on my tongue. The internet tells me it is thrush. Time to go back to the doctor. :getlost: 

This is what happens when you turn 40, people.

as somebody who turned 50 this year...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

44 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So I finished my 2nd round of antibiotics to get rid of the bacteria in my stomach a week ago, but now I have some weird white stuff on my tongue. The internet tells me it is thrush. Time to go back to the doctor. :getlost: 

Have you been taking probiotics? Helped me a lot while fighting it the first time and I'm probably going to start a second round soon. 

Was recommending by one of my docs

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Hah! Had that when I was 14, I win by 26 years \o/

Well, it was 20 years ago that I was 14, but I still win /flex

In all seriousness though, sorry to hear that :(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

45 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I just Googled a picture of that... :yucky: Is it transmissible?

It's been a while, but from what I remember almost everyone has the cause for it, but you need the right circumstances for it to break out.

• Thanks 1

Never had thrush (yet). All I get is ever worsening gum disease/receding gums with pockets that seem destined for the planet core. I seem to be genetically inclined or something, no matter what they try.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Have you been taking probiotics? Helped me a lot while fighting it the first time and I'm probably going to start a second round soon. 

Was recommending by one of my docs

I eat greek yogurt every night, but it might be a good idea to take more.

14 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Are you asking if we can make out? It should be safe. 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

tumblr_lmputme3co1qa6q7k_large.jpg

59 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I eat greek yogurt every night, but it might be a good idea to take more.

learn to make sauerkraut. get the probiotics w/o the dairy and is perfect time o' year in northern california to fill up a big pickle barrel o' the stuff in the garage.

be warned: cooler temps means it may take a day or two longer to proper ferment than described in the linked recipe. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

25 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Been snowed in the past few days, so I read through the Broken Earth trilogy. It was enjoyable. Haven't done heavy reading in quite a while.

/jealous

We've been about 5 or 6C above freezing here, we had two or three days with actual freezing temperatures. 😕

On 1/13/2020 at 3:03 PM, Gorth said:

we call those days "summer" in ca. last summer weren't near as bad as were the previous year, but we nevertheless had weeks where the smoke were so thick the sun were not visible save for a couple hours before and after noon, and even then it were a lurid bloody-red... much like our perpetual irritated eyes.  one o' our cars, which we were parking in the driveway in violation o' our cc&rs (shhh, don't tell local security) would daily become covered with a greasy film o' ash.  ash is s'posed to be dry and powdery, like the stuff in your fireplace or in the bottom o' your weber grill, yes? unfortunately, whatever grasses and trees and shrubbery were burning made the ash... tacky. 

have never been a fan o' summers in our part o' ca, but they are increasingly becoming literal unlivable with predictable weeks o' hazardous air quality. only positive is in ca, unlike other places we have lived, pretty much everybody has air conditioning, so we could close windows w/o fear o' heat stroke.

2018 were worse. much worse. were months o' fires and smoke and ash.  nevertheless, as apocalyptic as the view from our window appeared in 2018, things in australia 2020-21 appear even worse, so you got our sympathy. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

My water heater broke, my car heater is leaking coolant into the car. Again. Coffee machine at work has broken down, and two yard jockey colleagues are quitting so my vacation got is (probably) getting cancelled.

Granted the last bit is good since CP2077 got delayed, but still not a good start of the day.

• Sad 2

TLDR:  Bought a couple Levoit brand air "purifiers." One smaller, one larger. They don't use Ozone (not legal in California and Amazon/companies can't/won't ship such here, anyway), just True Hepa/activated charcoal filters. They don't use a lot of wattage/energy.  Levoit seemed best bet as a first try for relatively inexpensive home filtration. If they seem to help I might buy a couple more of the smaller ones. Don't have tons of faith but we'll see. Why do my allergy/environment reactions get worse and worse every year, wah. And this is with no cats/pets for a very long time.  🤧

(longer rambling)

The meter we've been using to measure air quality in the house spikes like crazy when you cook on the (gas) range, and goes up a fair bit in the living room when the gas wall furnace is on - which in winter often runs almost non-stop for several  evening hours to keep overall house at 70F-ish for hubby, so the area/walls/floors close around it is over-warmed/terrible. Meter measures VOC's, CO (those are what go nuts in the kitchen) and general particulate (everything that is "dusty" I suppose), but not CO2.

Whenever I leave my PC/room (my only sort-of "allergy haven") and stay in the rest of house for a while, my nose runs like mad. If I'm not covered up head to foot, my skin itches (it's not just a nose thing).  I refuse to wear a ski-mask, ha, so the face always itches.  If I open the doors/windows and/or leave the wall furnace off allergies and meter readings improve a fair bit, but then hubby freezes (in winter/early spring/late fall) because he's a total, total, wuss.

Laminate fake wood floors/kitchen counters, bedroom carpets, old painted cabinets, other plastics/acrylics everywhere, 1950's house with who knows what under all those paint layers ... way too much gas-off potential and particulates. Plus the usual city pollution and outdoor allergens that can leak in. *scratch scratch sneeze, sniffle*.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Anyone have experience using an ethylene absorber in a refrigerator to keep food from spoiling. I'm sick of forgetting my fruit until the smell hits me upon opening the door and was given this as a tip by someone else with ADHD-C but I can't find user experiences online. 

• Hmmm 1