Today - what you've done

Amentep

It's been a over a week since my.... dunno if I'd call it a demotion. I'm making the same money I always was. But I've definitely been relived of all my responsibilities and projects.  I think it's fair to say I did quite a bit of good while I could. But, a new department head, a quick reorganization and all of that never happened. The upshot is I don't have  to work long hours. In fact I can pretty much get all my work done by lunchtime every day. The downside is I was interested, motivated, and engaged. Now? Not so much. But... who knows what will happen next. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Mrs. Hurlshot has thrush, so I'm in a bit of trouble about that. 😛

Thankfully I already had the gross mouthwash ready to go for her. We are going away this weekend too, so hopefully I can get out of the doghouse. 

I don't  think she can blame you for that since 95% of people have the fungus that develops into thrush. She's probably had it for a while but noticed it now? I first got it when I had an infection in the achilles tendon and got antibiotics for it. And I'll have you know that the first time I kissed someone I was 29 :p

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It's been a over a week since my.... dunno if I'd call it a demotion. I'm making the same money I always was. But I've definitely been relived of all my responsibilities and projects.  I think it's fair to say I did quite a bit of good while I could. But, a new department head, a quick reorganization and all of that never happened. The upshot is I don't have  to work long hours. In fact I can pretty much get all my work done by lunchtime every day. The downside is I was interested, motivated, and engaged. Now? Not so much. But... who knows what will happen next. 

I wish I could get demoted and keep the pay I have. It's frustrating as hell to have a metric tonne of responsibility but not enough authority to make proper changes, it's taken away almost all of my motivation to do a good job, and start to halfass it like everyone else.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Looking at new washer and dryer, wondering how these heat pump dryers actually perform.  We wash a lot and if this thing takes 2 hours to dry a load that's just not practical as it bottlenecks the whole process.  Anyone here use one ? I assume at least some given the amount of Euros here 😛

Sadly my preferred brands - Bosch or Miele - don't make vented ones.  Seems only vented ones I can find here are LG or Samsung.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sadly my preferred brands - Bosch or Miele - don't make vented ones.  Seems only vented ones I can find here are LG or Samsung.  

Any specific reasons behind championing Bosch/Miele as your brands of choice? I'm curious.

Edited by Skazz

Have had several Bosch washer, dryer and dishwasher and have had good experiences with them and know they have a reputation for being worth the price you pay as the machines are well made and reliable.  I know our washer has lasted 10 years and we do an average of 3 washes a day or so, and we're not very diligent with maintaining the machine 😛   Likewise with Miele, friend has one and swears that they are quality machines.

Granted, who knows if things have changed and they've made things worse.  Apparently  Speed Queen is well liked too.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I wish I could get demoted and keep the pay I have. It's frustrating as hell to have a metric tonne of responsibility but not enough authority to make proper changes, it's taken away almost all of my motivation to do a good job, and start to halfass it like everyone else.

Well I wasn't really demoted because I was never promoted. I started out here as a political hire. I was the only veteran to apply and was hired for a job I wasn't really qualified for because hiring veterans is a priority. So I started out as a glorified number cruncher auditing public works projects for cost overruns and materials compliance. After two years of demonstrating that I could see lightning and hear thunder, and possessed an advanced understanding of mathematics and data analytics I started to find myself with much more interesting work. Last year I was managing my own projects. So, now we have a new director who took one look at my resume and education and decided (presumably) that a knuckle dragger such as myself has no business managing projects for the TDEC so I'm back to being a glorified number cruncher. 

I was a little put off by the whole thing. In fact I was quite upset about it. Then I remembered it's just a paycheck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Some employers'/managers' fixation on qualifications vs. actual quality/body of work is utterly asinine. That sucks.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Today I fed the critters, watched TV, and bought a new pair of binoculars off Amazon. Waterproof this time. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice...

Thomas Sowell

didn't have shady pegged as a who fan.

today were a bad day for our dogs. the little ones got attacked by two dogs (labs... lab mix?) that were loose while a housesitter were distracted. 

just a bad situation all the way around and am knowing Gromnir is gonna look like the bad guy even though our dogs were on leashes and needed medical aid for their injuries. nothing life threatening. thank goodness. when situation escalated (which were immediately) we took off our hoodie, wrapped it around our arm and beat the two attacking canines away from our dogs. am suspecting we injured the dogs and the poor housesitter, who showed up on the scene just as we were finally dislodging his (sorta his) dogs from ours, clear were unprepared to handle his new problem. he likely needed take his dogs to the vet for more serious aid than our dogs required as we were not gentle. we got the panicking fellows name and phone number and a brief explanation as to why his dogs were loose before we ran off, carrying a bleeding dog under each arm as we trotted to our car. 

our vet bill ended up being an altogether reasonable $612... $11 were for one o' those stoopid cones which am aware is a waste o money but we were not in a mood to haggle or argue over $11 and tax. 

one of our dogs were given methadone and he is still in an altered state. am hoping the buzz lasts a few hours more 'cause the take-home meds they gave him for pain is gabapentin, which given our personal pain issues am aware is a nerve pain medicine. the dog is not suffering nerve pain such that gabapentin would be prescribed if were a person suffering same injuries. so why gabapentin? dr. explained to us how 'cause o' strict ca controlled substances laws, he couldn't give us anything stronger, so point o' the meds appears to be to keep the dog groggy and listless as 'posed to pain free. 

we took a few scratches in the kerfuffle and a rather nasty bite/puncture which looks ugly but don't seem to be infected. should go to the hospital as am knowing how easily dog bites is getting infected, but we did the first aid bit as best we could and am crossing fingers. go to hospital is problematic 'cause we would need ask somebody to look after our injured dogs. there is people we can call, more than a couple, but will hold off unless we develop a fever. 

we do feel terrible 'bout injuring a couple o' dogs. full stop. am not making excuses.

• Gasp! 2
  • Sad 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Back at work this week Monday after an excellent end of year holiday

2020 is going to be a good year, I have to study a different cloud based technology but its the future so Im very excited and Im back at gym this week after 1 month laziness\break

Gail force winds in Cape Town at the moment ,  apparently  this is unprecedented for this time of the year

https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/watch-windy-weekend-weather-has-capetonians-defying-gravity-40836417

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We finally got a bit of fresh air in Melbourne to clear the smoke....

Australia fires: Victoria braces for severe storms

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51165032

image.png.f972d8041cd701a512fcc184f57ab707.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gromnir, I don't blame you one bit, you gotta protect your pack. Sure, I feel bad for the other dogs too as sympathy isn't a zero sum game but there was nothing else that could be done. 

We had similar issues with dog pain management here in CO but I was able to call around to finally get some actual pain meds instead of just sedatives and the like.

Also, I do hope that you make it to the doctor soon though. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

Dog fights are terrible. I can't believe there are sickos out there who get some perverse pleasure in watching that. 

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

My new 55" tv arrived. It's... pretty awesome. Need to rewatch a bunch of movies now. Fury Road, Interstellar, etc... it's like being in my own little cinema.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

...and the storms came. Those who didn't succumb to fire storms are now at risk of drowning in the floods (or as seen, struck down by lightning). I think Canberra got hit worse by the hail than Melbourne though 🤔

Not having a car, I wasn't too worried about the damage they did, but I ended up getting home several hours late form work because one of the train stations had been affected too badly from flooding.

Golf ball-sized hail, a town engulfed by a giant dust storm, two people struck by lightning — and that's just 24 hours in Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-20/australia-wild-weather-hail-rain-storms-lightning-dust/11883496

image.png.dc1f9a3271e46e6870e0ea5aab075454.png

image.png.51796c5aa5d9f4f34c777629cf736aab.png

image.png.7aa5b89bc3721482c23803430bc55ca6.png

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 1/19/2020 at 11:37 AM, Lexx said:

My new 55" tv arrived. It's... pretty awesome. Need to rewatch a bunch of movies now. Fury Road, Interstellar, etc... it's like being in my own little cinema.

Bigger is better. At least for TV's. 
Our next living room TV (maybe sometime in summer) is going to be at least a 65." 8)

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

image.png.51796c5aa5d9f4f34c777629cf736aab.png

Looks like a still out of some movie.  :o

....I've been madly cleaning and buying/washing all cotton blankets, quilts, and throws so I can toss all acrylic/man-made material type blankets/covers in the garbage. A little % of polyester in a mostly cotton fill is fine, but that's it. Hubby wanted a Mexican serape throw but (online) they almost never say what they're made of. I'm sure there's a cotton one somewhere but..
One actually had a description of:  " Made from 100% hypoallergenic recycled synthetic material."   No thanks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I dunno what's wrong with me but I've really come to hate my Amazon Echo. It does almost nothing right beyond setting timers and it doesn't always get that right either. I daydream about destroying it like I'm in Office Space. I kinda wish it could feel pain as I think that's the only thing stopping me from breaking it.

If it ever becomes self aware then I volunteer for the suicide mission to take it out.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Our next living room TV (maybe sometime in summer) is going to be at least a 65."

True. But just thinking about the next time I have to move somewhere else stresses me out, because this thing is so huge and apparently quite fragile.

It's one of the reasons why I try to buy as little physical stuff now as possible... the more you have, the more moving the house becomes a pain in the arse. Especially if the next one might be smaller than the current one (I've already downgraded and had to fit in A LOT into a small space). A part of me wishes to just throw away half the stuff I have, because I rarely use it anyway. But there's memories attached to everything, and it would pain me a lot.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Haha, yeah, it wouldn't look amiss in a Mad Max movie :)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Our next living room TV (maybe sometime in summer) is going to be at least a 65." 8)

....I've been madly cleaning and buying/washing all cotton blankets, quilts, and throws so I can toss all acrylic/man-made material type blankets/covers in the garbage. A little % of polyester in a mostly cotton fill is fine, but that's it. Hubby wanted a Mexican serape throw but (online) they almost never say what they're made of. I'm sure there's a cotton one somewhere but..
One actually had a description of:  " Made from 100% hypoallergenic recycled synthetic material."   No thanks.

6 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Haha, yeah, it wouldn't look amiss in a Mad Max movie :)

Reminds me  a bit of the face sandstorm in the 1st Brendan Frasier Mummy.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It seems Australia is mad at it's inhabitants and is trying to kill them. 

Thomas Sowell

27 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Reminds me  a bit of the face sandstorm in the 1st Brendan Frasier Mummy.

I need to rewatch that movie!