Today - what you've done

Amentep

That's like the Twilight Zone version of my grandparents disagreeing over something. If it were them, there'd have been lots of name-calling, "I don't want to get into it"s, "I didn't say"s, and "I told you so"s. They've been together for sixty years, and from what I can tell, they've been fighting for every minute of it. Glad to hear your marriage is a little more happy, :p.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I hate this time of year. HATE IT. The Mississippi is up. The Hatchee River is up. Indian Creek is up. Cold Creek is rising. I walked down there just now and the water is less than a meter from my corner post. There is little danger it will reach the house. My foundation is some 35' above the average high for the Miss. Flooding would be catastrophic indeed to reach it. But there is plenty of damage that can be done if the river does not crest soon. 

Imagine being in a bathroom watching with horror as the water in the toilet circles ever higher towards the rim of the bowl after you just flushed it. That is February in the Mississippi River Valley. 

This is certainly an additional stress I can ill afford when everything else is going sh--ty. I do believe tonight I am going to put all my Led Zeppelin CD's in the stereo, blast it as loud as it will go and get filthy drunk.  

Starting with this one:

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Went out with the lady friend, who'd really dolled herself up for my birthday. Not sure if it was entertaining or upsetting seeing people's reactions... their jaws slacked a bit when they saw her, and then completely dropped when they noticed who she was with. Sigh. #battingabovemyleague I guess.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Happy Birthday Nep!

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Company gave out Valentine's Day chocolate, but everyone was WFH and yesterday was a holiday. So I'm going to steal it all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Death Stranding on PS4 is on sale for $35. I'm super tempted, someone stop me from maybe double-dipping again. 🤣

I was going to wait for it on Steam but that's not until "summer" - no idea what that will mean date wise. Seems like a game that would be fine for console too, since it's a slow paced delivery/strategy/management game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 2/18/2020 at 9:38 AM, Guard Dog said:

This is certainly an additional stress I can ill afford when everything else is going sh--ty. I do believe tonight I am going to put all my Led Zeppelin CD's in the stereo, blast it as loud as it will go and get filthy drunk.  

Starting with this one:

Excellent choice in music 👍

Could I also recommend: (Flood II is quite appropriate too)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Double post... yay me.

A bit busy these days, arranging removal company, cleaners, doing packing etc. Almost forgot I need a new place to live too, so I better get back to that. Yeah, details...

I guess you get a bit jaded when you move internationally/interstate (in this case the latter) every other year or so 😳

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sooooo, got a text message from my boss yesterday, and a phonecall from his underling today, the bosses are putting me in queue for a plain "C" truck drivers licence!

I drive during working hours and study the theory on my spare time, so I get paid while learning. I have to stay signed for the company for 3 years, but **** it, I can live with that 😄

:dancing:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Thank you very much! I confess that I'm unbelievably hyped about it, for some reason I have this weird tingling sensation in my body, I think it's called "hope"? 😄

I have to get the licence before summer, which means that my 3 month vacation gets cancelled, and passed on to the next division of the company, and I'm cure they will be VERY happy to have to distribute 58 days of vacation time! This is excellent news though, since Cyberpunk got delayed, and the boss didn't want to cancel the already planned vacation time, hehehe! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 2/17/2020 at 2:38 PM, Guard Dog said:

Starting with this one:

vid

seeming hasn't rained here for more than a month, and this is the rainy season. if we don't get rain soon, is gonna be a brutal fire season this summer. will have gorth sympathy. 

real reason for response however were the levee breaks contribution. had us recall freshman year at Cal and a fellow db who were a big prince and r&b/pop fan. he were also... angry. didn't like... uh, how to put this. didn't like the dominant social and economic paradigm o' the US to a startling degree. 

*shrug*

our teammate didn't have much knowledge o' traditional blues, but hanging 'round Gromnir he got an earful o' oldie stuff like blind willie mctell and newer contributions including a major dose o' buddy guy.

teammate became a bit o' a blues fan, but he were genuine angry when he realized gershwin were responsible for writing summertime and were infuriated when he discovered the aforementioned when the levee breaks and 

were performed by led zeppelin, a collection o' pasty-faced brits. 

gotta give the guy credit. in spite o' initial believing we had tricked him, he came 'round a bit and began to consider other possibilities. eventual became a fan o' stuff like the allman brothers and had become a bit less militant, which is an odd thing to happen at Cal... even during the late 80s. 

power o' music and all that.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

16 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

real reason for response however were the levee breaks contribution. had us recall freshman year at Cal and a fellow db who were a big prince and r&b/pop fan. he were also... angry. didn't like... uh, how to put this. didn't like the dominant social and economic paradigm o' the US to a startling degree. 

HA! Good Fun!

:lol: Sounds like he fit right in in Berkley! Cool story!

Thomas Sowell

Next week I'm taking the pups camping and fishing at Shired Island down on the Florida Gulf Coast. It's one of my favorite spots because there are no boat ramps, RV hookups, cabins, restrooms or amenities of any kind. and it literally IS an island when the tide comes in and the road is under water. Primitive camping only usually means you have it to yourself. In other words... it's perfect. Too bad Redfish season has ben cancelled. Catch and release only. I used to wade out to the oyster mounds and catch my limit in the channels in between when I used to go there frequently. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

On 2/19/2020 at 8:06 PM, Gromnir said:

seeming hasn't rained here for more than a month, and this is the rainy season. if we don't get rain soon, is gonna be a brutal fire season this summer. will have gorth sympathy. 

HA! Good Fun!

You can have some from us, on the west coast of Sweden we've had alot of rain so far this month, map; we're past the point of having a "mild winter" aswell, we've now officially skipped winter and gone from Autumn to spring.

Hubby had a doctor appointment on Tues. Doctor called in sick. I don't know why, but I find that hilarious.  🤣 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And delayed Happy Birthday Nep...

Got back in from Atlanta late yesterday, currently dealing with the joys of stormy weathers and jet lag. Now I need to unpack and do the laundry thing.

Did have a blast at AnachroCon, although it was the last oen to be held. Met a bunch of new people, and got a slew of invites/demands that I come back for DragonCon over the summer.

I've got plenty of holiday left, so I'll have to see whether work will let me do that around then and what my budget would be like....

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I demand pictures! :p 

ERZjn-oWsAMaIMU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Unfortunately, it was one of those where I got too caught up in doing things, to actually make sure to take a bunch of pictures myself...

Edited by Raithe
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Nice vest.

I was actually wearing different ones each day. That was the velvet one. I also went with a rather nice silk style.

ERaDF4RWoAAymCC?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1