Politics and world news

Guard Dog

8 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I can imagine how terrifying it could be for a kid to be threatened to be put in a bag and shipped to Spain.

have been to spain a few times. once we even flew economy class, which is kinda like being stuffed in a bag for the trip. 

weren't terrified save for our first trip to barcelona where we were surprised with a previous undisclosed and steep "tourist tax" at our initial hotel, as well as being shocked by how thorough and numerous were the pickpockets. we knew better than to carry genuine valuables such as a wallet filled with cash in pockets, but is only a slight exaggeration to observe how we could walk 100 meters in barcelona and discover all our pockets were empty. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

22 hours ago, Gromnir said:

we can post a few quotes for those blocked, but might be pointless. at this stage in the administration, the revelations is not shocking while at same time being a gut punch for any but true believers.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm distinctly reminded of Sir John Hackett reflecting on the words of Arnold Toynbee and what he called "the Military Virtues":

Fortitude, endurance, loyalty, courage, and so on. These are good qualities in any collection of men and enrich the society for which they are proffered. But in the military society they are functional necessities... A man can be false, fleeting, perjured; in every way corrupt and be a brilliant mathematician or one of the world's greatest painters. But there's one thing he can't be and that is a good soldier, sailor, or airman. 

Granted from what people in the real-estate profession have said of Trump it's doubtful he's any good at being a real-estate mogul anyways. For as much as Trump claims to idolise figures such as Patton one would have to try very hard to convince me that had Patton lived long enough to meet Trump he would not shatter his jaw within ten minutes of being in his presence.

quote-there-is-a-great-deal-of-talk-abou

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

‘You’re a bunch of dopes and babies’: Inside Trump’s stunning tirade against generals

we can post a few quotes for those blocked, but might be pointless. at this stage in the administration, the revelations is not shocking while at same time being a gut punch for any but true believers.

HA! Good Fun!

A very credible article with details of not only what people said, but what they thought at the moment. Journalism technology never cease to amaze. 

166215__front.jpg

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

our understanding is the case were settled. do you have additional info? considering how the similar case against wapo were initially dismissed, is more than a mere possibility that whatever the "maga hat boy" team were given could have been little more than enough to recoup costs. 

tough to count this as much o' a win w/o more info.

speaking o' washington post, and to avoid the double

‘You’re a bunch of dopes and babies’: Inside Trump’s stunning tirade against generals

HA! Good Fun!

Sadly your right, because I got the info from Fox.....shudders.  They’ve spun it in a way to make it seem like he had a great victory but like u said without the amount, who knows if it was a win.  I believe his team is now gonna go after more news networks such as nbc and such.

16 minutes ago, redneckdevil said:

Sadly your right, because I got the info from Fox.....shudders.  They’ve spun it in a way to make it seem like he had a great victory but like u said without the amount, who knows if it was a win.  I believe his team is now gonna go after more news networks such as nbc and such.

Now? I think they already filed. At least against WaPo and NBC.

166215__front.jpg

8 hours ago, redneckdevil said:

the headlines were extreme misleading. said stuff such as covington catholic boy who brought $275 mil against cnn win settlement. 

these cases are tough to win.  standard isn't different for the press than it is for you, which is probable a relief, eh? you may post stuff on a messageboard 'bout public persons and/or events which is untrue and not fear any legal reprisals, right up until is shown you knew something were untrue. prove such knowledge is difficult.

'cause is a timely example, we will mention how the one richard jewel case which finally made it to court and were not settled were determined in favor o' the newspaper. a news media source settling for some amount to avoid more publicity is unsurprising even when law is actual on the side o' the press. 

9 hours ago, Skarpen said:

A very credible article with details of not only what people said, but what they thought at the moment. Journalism technology never cease to amaze. 

is an excerpt from a book which were extensive researched. doesn't take much imagination to figure out how the journalists who wrote the book might glean the impressions o' folks contemporaneous with a few o' trumps more bizarre and hostile comments. "general kelly, when the President referred to the collected military leadership as a dopes and babies with whom he would not go to war, what was your reaction?"

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

29 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

Is an excerpt from a book which were extensive researched. doesn't take much imagination to figure out how the journalists who wrote the book might glean the impressions o' folks contemporaneous with a few o' trumps more bizarre and hostile comments. "general kelly, when the President referred to the collected military leadership as a dopes and babies with whom he would not go to war, what was your reaction?"

HA! Good Fun!

WaPo and extensive research? HA! Good Fun!

Unless the parties involved actually confirm the story in credible news sources I will not believe anything fake news media report.

166215__front.jpg

On 1/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, Gromnir said:

Pretty funny to imagine what everyone in that meeting must have been feeling, Tillerson comes out looking decent of that.   Reminds me of Bowden's recollection of Trump wrecking a water pump based on it being ugly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Skarpen said:

WaPo and extensive research? HA! Good Fun!

Unless the parties involved actually confirm the story in credible news sources I will not believe anything fake news media report.

not paying attention. it were a book excerpt. not washington post. writers o' the book are journalists at the post, but editors and owners of the paper didn't contribute to the book and do not receive credit. unless you are indulging in transparent bias, you dedicate a bit more effort if you are gonna criticize authors for habitual fails o' research. 

unnamed sources is common in such books. woodward has used unnamed sources and trump has praised woodward's efforts... right up until woodward did a book 'bout trump. however, credibility is often more easily discerned when folks such as trump do not sue the authors for libel, 'cause then there would need be discovery. last time trump tried such it did not turn out well for him. 

trump: a true story

if trump, who is notorious for bringing lawsuits 'gainst people (and also for being taken to court) doesn't sue authors for libel, is lending substantial credence to the claims in the book. truth is a defense after all.

even so, am agreeing overreliance on unnamed sources is bad. am understanding from a recent npr review that while more than a few unnamed sources is utilized by the authors o' the book, which should make a person leery o' claims, is also a large number o' named and corroborated sources... more than enough such that we predict trump will be setting twitter ablaze when book is released.

HA! Good Fun!

@Gromnir

Wait. In my opinion WaPo journalists are not thorough researchers and often lie and omit the truth, but I cannot extend that view to a book they wrote because WaPo execs are not involved? How that works?

It's flattering that you think I'm the president of US, but I assure you it's not the case. So I don't care what I... I mean he does or who he praises and for what, when he... I mean I give my opinion.

I don't share your view that statement must be true unless someone sue the author. I think not giving ridiculous and outlandish statements that are calculated to get publicity a time of day is in most cases better.

166215__front.jpg

6 hours ago, Skarpen said:

@Gromnir

Wait. In my opinion WaPo journalists are not thorough researchers and often lie and omit the truth, but I cannot extend that view to a book they wrote because WaPo execs are not involved? How that works?

so a dismissal o' any and all washington post journalists for their newspaper efforts is your defense o' bias regarding the efforts o' two writers with post credits who penned a book.

gotcha.

lord knows we didn't say a statement must be true if author isn't sued. horrible logic. just because tendency not to sue makes truth more likely, absent o' legal action doesn't guarantee truth. never said or implied such but am not surprised you would logic fail your way into that blunder.

HA! Good Fun!

Ahead of the gun rights demonstration in VA next week Trump has been taking to Twitter: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/478885-trump-warns-of-attack-on-2nd-amendment-ahead-of-virginia-gun-rights

The short strokes of the story are Trump is fueling the fire by saying the 2nd Amendment is under attack and VA Democrats want to take citizens firearms away. Well... all that IS true... It is and they do. But if I were the President that is not the way I would have gone. The message would have sent is "The 1st Amendment affirms the right of the people to peaceably assemble. So the government and police of VA had better make sure they can assemble and the people had better make sure it is peaceable."

But that's me. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So funny, creepy Joe is calling game developers creeps 🤣

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/17/opinion/joe-biden-nytimes-interview.html

And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people, you know the ——

166215__front.jpg

On 1/19/2020 at 12:55 AM, Guard Dog said:

Ahead of the gun rights demonstration in VA next week Trump has been taking to Twitter: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/478885-trump-warns-of-attack-on-2nd-amendment-ahead-of-virginia-gun-rights

The short strokes of the story are Trump is fueling the fire by saying the 2nd Amendment is under attack and VA Democrats want to take citizens firearms away. Well... all that IS true... It is and they do. But if I were the President that is not the way I would have gone. The message would have sent is "The 1st Amendment affirms the right of the people to peaceably assemble. So the government and police of VA had better make sure they can assemble and the people had better make sure it is peaceable."

But that's me. 

That'd require Trump to be a different person 😛

As expected, some good cosplay at the event

797904438.jpg

9187653c-54b0-41be-b119-27ae4ad9b376-XXX

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra