Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Maximum7

Maximum7

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 0 posts
Im trying to create a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. He believe in an energy field that can be manipulated by some people but doesn't believe it controls fate or binds the galaxy together. Anyways, I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn't that important to the profile; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can't have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine

A teleporter

A matter replicator

Synthetic tibanna gas

Synthetic coaxium (hyperfuel)

A singularity Weapon

Any type of droid

Anything to do with holograms

A food synthesizer

Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

A shrink ray

A freeze ray

Pico and femtotechnology

A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

I'm trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren't until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I'm looking for something that presumably hasn't been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.
  • Ridgemed, Brantot and Galennap like this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2669 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Medical tech.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5916 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Riddle me this; if a force user were to provide a blood transfusion for a non-force user, would the mitoclorians transfer?

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7837 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Proper infantry tactics.

• ShadySands, Azdeus, Chilloutman and 1 other like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

Riddle me this; if a force user were to provide a blood transfusion for a non-force user, would the mitoclorians 

And right there is why the prequels ruined Star Wars. 

Well... bad acting, writing, a specious concept, and a complete rethinking of the backstory really didn't help either.

Edited by Guard Dog, 25 February 2019 - 01:04 PM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2670 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Riddle me this; if a force user were to provide a blood transfusion for a non-force user, would the mitoclorians transfer?

No. Or at least presumably no based on their analogue.

(Red Blood Cells don't have mitochondria as they lose them along with the cell nucleus at hmm, erythrogenesis (iirc), so they- presumably- don't have midichlorians in SW either. You would get some mitochondria from WBCs but there are far fewer of them than RBCs in a blood transfusion)

• Gfted1 likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2669 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Does anybody read Darths & Droids? Midichlorian transfusions are a major and hilarious plotpoint in that.
  • Bartimaeus likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 603 posts

To the OP: Marksmanship training program

• ShadySands and Azdeus like this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

A (non-animal tested) wookie shampoo.

• Hurlshot, ShadySands and Chilloutman like this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1529 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Slim fast Jabba edition

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9096 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I imagine there will still be a booming research industry for erectile dysfunction.

• Lexx likes this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Medical tech.

More specifically he's captured another Waru alien and is experimenting with its healing properties. :p

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10646 posts

I imagine there will still be a booming research industry for erectile dysfunction.

Aren't you a little short for a... erh, never mind.
Maybe a durable, dirt resistant fabric that is marketable to settlers on remote colonies without laundry facilities.
  • Hurlshot likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Does anybody read Darths & Droids? Midichlorian transfusions are a major and hilarious plotpoint in that.

Uh, please don't tell me that's still going? I was a (bigger) fan of the DM of the Rings series that it apes, but I followed D&D for probably a year or so when it first started before I realized that I simply like reading and watching stuff in a big chunk rather than piecemeal weekly and decided I'd wait a few years before coming back...and I never did. It's been many years now.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2334 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

An even larger space laser

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 165 posts

Lots and lots of Kyber crystals

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3292 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sand de-coarser or superweapon fatal flaw finder

Sorry, I don't have any good ideas mostly because my knowledge is limited to the movies and a few games.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7729 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

science, even in a galaxy far, far away, will never explain the greatest mysteries o' the universe. what happens inside a black hole? concepts such as love, justice and God will necessarily forever elude the grasp o' science.  and why did the tor developers have to go and ruin revan?  some questions is too terrible for science to contemplate. 

HA! Good Fun!

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Uh, please don't tell me that's still going? I was a (bigger) fan of the DM of the Rings series that it apes, but I followed D&D for probably a year or so when it first started before I realized that I simply like reading and watching stuff in a big chunk rather than piecemeal weekly and decided I'd wait a few years before coming back...and I never did. It's been many years now.

It's still going.  :yes:  Although they're bidding their time right now until the current trilogy is complete and post fluff once a week. 

As for fanfictional scientist, he might look into the curious phenomena of nothing f†cking changing throughout ages upon ages in that universe, ever. Seriously, everything -- guns, aircraft, fashion, British accents on Imperials -- is the same for Old and New Republic. And Empire. 

• Bartimaeus likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I did, heh.

On the no mentioning holograms, how about better holograms. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users