Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Favorite debuffer/disabler?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Frog Man

Frog Man

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Feel free to include the new subclasses. I like to have a few distinct roles in my team and I could use someone who focuses on disabling enemies so that might nuker and dpsers can mess them up.

Frak

Frak

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts

Wizard, druid and chanter most likely. I tend to use Aloth (first run), but running with a specialized designed debuffing chanter could be interesting. Either Bellower (for the increased power) or a troubadour.

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Geomancer wielding dual blunderbusses or Citzal's Spirit Lance: you get a nice AoE teardown through Tranquilizing Shot (strips beneficial effects by 30 seconds iirc) along with the usual debuff and CC Wizard offers (Curse of Blackened Sight, Slicken, Pull of Eora, Freezing Pillar, Expose Vulnerabilities, etc.).

Cipher multiclassed with Ranger or Rogue can provide consistent afflictions and disables with some nice damage. Secret Horrors packs a lot of effects all in a 0.5 window and at a small cost of 30 Focus. I'm fond of a short bow Beguiler/Trickster for such a build.

Edited by Ophiuchus, 06 December 2018 - 12:31 AM.

• Frog Man likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2084 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Favorite debuffer/disabler?

My favorite cc spell in Deadfire so far is Repulsive Visage.
Having enemies not hitting you is nice, and even if you missed or they have some sort of resolve inspiration, visage is periodic, so it gets applied again after 3s. Also if the enemies have resolve resistance, you at least frighten them. This feels stronger than when you get a downgraded stun or paralyze.

I'm also eager to try the trickster/tactician in my next run instead, now that trickster also has also access to visage. Plus fighter gets a way to replenish resources and focus just on interrupting and messing with enemy actions. My only (and minor) gripe with tacticians are:
- they get the -5acc penalty with aoe spells (on enemy targets that are not being hit in melee by their allies)
- if the enemies are terrified (or stunned, or paralyzed for that matter) - tactician can't interrupt them, since they doesn't cast anything.
- mushy interaction between flanked status and charmed/dominated enemies.

Also, do really like a wayfarer/skald as a jack-of-all-trades character. With 15/10/15/19/16/3 stats and dual-wielding a rapier (with modal on) and dagger, he can spam FoD for really decent AoE heal, and built-up phrases quite quickly for low-level stun and paralyze invocations (or even charm if needed). All that while providing zealous aura, shared flames, chanting and offtanking.

That said, in Deadfire, I find it hard to justify having a purely hard-cc-dedicated cipher in party, when you can focus on having high AR, heals, terrify and just do damage; given that hard-cc afflictions no longer lower enemy defenses as hard as in PoE1, and Confounding Blind is often just more effective at lowering enemy deflection.

Edited by MaxQuest, 06 December 2018 - 06:33 AM.

• Archaven, Frog Man and Ophiuchus like this

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1445 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

are there any melee weapon that does multi-hit except blunderbuss or frostseeker? 

or only way is the fighter clear-out with paralyze? hmm...

Takkik

Takkik

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

you have the whispering greatsword that have a cone effect. And there is a polearme that do a short 360 aoe.

Waski

Waski

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts

are there any melee weapon that does multi-hit except blunderbuss or frostseeker?
or only way is the fighter clear-out with paralyze? hmm...

That moon/sun flail hits twice.
  • Archaven likes this

Silvaren

Silvaren

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Illusionist with that mask from Vihtrack and Eye of the Wael Scepter. Many illusion spells are great for hard CC or simply debuffing stats like penetration.
  • Frog Man likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5285 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
They showed a 3-shot crossbow during the stream—will be in the DLC.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13308 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hm... if I remember correctly it was 3 projectiles per shot with lower base dmg (like Frostseeker), not 3 shots (like the Red Hand has 2 shots before reloading).

Edited by Boeroer, 07 December 2018 - 06:04 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5285 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Ah, yes. Poor wording on my part.
  • Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13308 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No sweat!  :-

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1445 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They showed a 3-shot crossbow during the stream—will be in the DLC.

still a range weapon. i'd really like a melee multi-hit weapon. sun and moon for one i guess.

Flucas

Flucas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Steam:Kayne
Cipher/troubadour is my go to debuffer.
  • Frog Man likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users