-I would keep in mind that testing builds at level 5 will skew your results.

-Different builds have different break points where they become "full power".

-Builds that are "amazeballs" at 5 won't necessarily scale, while others that have a rougher go at 5 become amazing at 10 or 15.

-Other builds are gear dependent and don't really work until you get certain gear then take off.
-Very rare are the builds that hit their power state by 5 (are there any?)

In conclusion, all your 1st isle testing may still net you a build that you get bored with, or are disappointed in, later on.

I would seriously just go by which play-style is the most fun.  The "best" builds typically end up being the boring ones since they are neigh invulnerable and have unlimited resources.

• Like 2

-Builds that are "amazeballs" at 5 won't necessarily scale, while others that have a rougher go at 5 become amazing at 10 or 15.

-Other builds are gear dependent and don't really work until you get certain gear then take off.

In conclusion, all your 1st isle testing may still net you a build that you get bored with, or are disappointed in, later on.

I would seriously just go by which play-style is the most fun.  The "best" builds typically end up being the boring ones since they are neigh invulnerable and have unlimited resources.

The whole approach to judge a character by performance on starting island, sadly doesn't work at all since v 1.2 and "new" PotD, at least in a solo game there are far harder challenges in the endgame and you won't judge a character by level 5 at all, but rather around level 15-16 since you can almost completely avoid combat till level 16, but there is plenty of fights which prove a challenge at level 20, since with upscaling (all) there is plenty of creatures higher level than you, BoW dragon for example has 3 skulls if pc is level 20 and the first burning archer ambush is super hard for most classes, paladin or fighter mc is almost necessary here and something like streetfighter would most likely underperform since there is almost no flanking in these fights.

• Like 1

TEST #5.1 - Goldpact Knights/Streetfighter

General Opinion: Downgraded from Very Strong to Strong

Location of Death: Digsite Boars (specifically a single 3 skull boar)

Reason for Death: Streetfighter makes you squishy, even with heavy armor.

MIG: 16

CON: 8

DEX: 16

PER: 16

INT: 16

RES: 6

Armor: Fine Brigadine (Heavy armor)

Weapons : Fine Greatsword

Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm

Belt: Girdle of Mortal Protection

Ring 1: Ring of Minor Protection

Ring 2: Ring of Minor Deflection

Hands: Killers Gloves

Cloak: Cloak of Greater Deflection

Head: Deaths Maw

Boots: Boots of the Stone

Pet: Stinky Pete

Skill Focus:

Athletics/Mechanics

History

CONCLUSION:

I could see that DPS-wise streetfighter will out preform Devoted. However, during the early levels you will be punished with multiple reloads. Are we talking a huge DPS difference between the two classes? From what I see rouge is just slightly better in terms of damage (thought I’ve yet to run the same stats). The point difference is a single hit point across the spread of the run. Devoted on the other hand could stand in the middle of a swarm and basically stay around full health.

Also I noticed a bug with two handed where the character doesn’t attack but the sound of the weapon swing plays, you physically have to disengage and tee gage to attack again.

Streetfighter gets +30% Damage from Sneak Attack and +100% crit damage while bloodied and flanked, what pretty much outdamages every other matial class.

• Like 2

...and at later levels also gets automatic Deathblows form Perdistent Distraction, in addition to all that.

And a number of other nice offensive boosts too.

As Theosupus and Raven note, testing up to level 5 on the first island is not representative. DPS-wise, goldpact/streetfighter is much better once it comes together (at around level 10). That’s about 1/4 of the way through the game.

(One other note about your test: I take it you were wearing brigandine against the boar. That armor is a very poor choice against piercing. So that fact will skew you’re assessment of heavy vs medium armor.)

Edited by whimper
  • Like 1

One final note about your test: while the stats you choose look great (IMO) for a solo Goldpact/Devoted build, I'm not crazy about them for a solo Goldpact/Streetfighter build, which gets significantly less from the Int investment. For a Goldpact/Streetfighter, I'd be inclined to instead go for something like this (pre BB):

M 18

C 10

D 18

P 18

I 3

R 11

Couple that with the Ring of Mule Wit to give yourself resistance to all mind afflictions(!) and you're looking pretty good. (True, the Ring gives you a -8 Int penalty. But that stops at 1 Int, meaning you only take an effective -2 Int penalty. And Int doesn't really do much for you anyway...)

Low Int is really bad on paladin (and most classes with some very rare exceptions)

(Reolve is useless and I never get more than 14 per)

Edited by Raven Darkholme

But then you can pretty much forget about Lay on Hands. I guess you could rely on pots for healing.

Yeah, LoH is the one ability you kind of care about that gets hit by the low Int. 

But combined with Exalted Endurance and a very high armor, I've found LoH to still be good enough (with a maxed Might) to get me through boss fights. And there's a weird way in which the smaller healing bumps you get from LoH with a low Int is good for a Streetfighter, since it makes it easier for you to control your healing, and keep yourself in the Bloodied zone.

But yeah, there is a cost. But that cost is easily outweighed (IMO) by all the benefits you get by plunking those 13 points into other stats instead... 

Low Int is really bad on paladin (and most classes with some very rare exceptions)

Do you think that's still true for solo play?...

I agree that with a party build Int is great for a paladin -- it makes your aura bigger so you get include more allies, makes your Exhortations/Commands on allies last longer, and makes your Eternal Devotion and Lay on Hands abilities last longer. (And it's also good if you have a specialized build using Sacred Immolation, but I take it that's not what we're going for here.)

But (putting Sacred Immolation aside) only Eternal Devotion and Lay on Hands are tempting in solo play. And Eternal Devotion (IMO) doesn't end up being that great, for the same reason that active abilities generally aren't that great in solo runs in general. Namely, you don't need them for the easy fights, and they run out too quickly to have much bearing on the tough (and extremely long) boss fights. (Moreover, since Eternal Devotion and Lay on Hands are both competing for the same resource -- Zeal -- you'll almost never want to use Eternal Devotion, since you want to save up all your Zeal for Lay on Hands.)

So that leaves Lay on Hands as the main beneficiary of a high Int. And when you weigh that against all the other benefits you get from putting those stats elsewhere (and the benefit of getting to wear the Ring of Mule's Wit for virtually no cost), it seems (IMO) that dumping it is pretty appealing... 

Lay on Hands is the best heal in the game if you combine high Int with with Dawnstar's blessing. (In a solo game you can have this on permanently by never resting again after you aquire Captain's Banquet, this approach also let's you grab Nature's Resolve permanently which is 10 Acc and 2 Res.

Popping a fully buffed LoH heals for 4 ticks of 60 for the base heal and the robust part heals for 7 ticks (!!!) of 24.(21 secs)

The main point to this discussion is not even what benefit LoH gets but what absolutely non existent benefit you get from maxing Per + putting points in the most useless attribute Res.

(If you start with 14 Per and have +2 from blessings you can buff up to 21 for hidden objects and losing 4 acc is not a big deal at all)

(Even with 3 base res I always end up with 9-11 due to Berath's blessing, Nature's resolve and a couple item bonuses, not that this is needed it just kinda happens automatically)

For me not maxing Int is almost never a question not even because I ask myself what benefits I get from Int (and for most chars there is plenty) but what meager tradeoff I would get by not maxing it.

As to Sacred Immolation I already mentioned earlier in this thread the best TCS char I have played so far (all upscaled) was a monk/pala (died after beating BoW and most level 20 challenges, my demise was due to a trap and me being to lazy to go back and buy a thief's putty) and pala/monk happens to not only get almost max Int cap (I had 32) due to monk modal, but also happens to only take 2 ticks of SI's raw damage.

I've tried pretty much every pala, fighter and cipher mc in the game and ofc a lot of other mcs and a couple single classes and none performed better than monk pala with max int, crazy thing is SI is not even core to this build (my actual TCS char didn't have it) it's just a bonus you get which happens to work super well with high int.

As to long fights you do benefit less from resources but if you can combine pala with a resource friendly class like chanter, rogue, monk (unlimited tenacious of wounds), cipher who will also benefit from Int it just makes long fights super easy because your buffs will last longer and you will get them back without resources or in case of the rogue some talents like persistent distraction and deathblows are just completely unrelated to resources.

Lay on Hands is the best heal in the game if you combine high Int with with Dawnstar's blessing. (In a solo game you can have this on permanently by never resting again after you aquire Captain's Banquet, this approach also let's you grab Nature's Resolve permanently which is 10 Acc and 2 Res.

Popping a fully buffed LoH heals for 4 ticks of 60 for the base heal and the robust part heals for 7 ticks (!!!) of 24.(21 secs)

The main point to this discussion is not even what benefit LoH gets but what absolutely non existent benefit you get from maxing Per + putting points in the most useless attribute Res.

(If you start with 14 Per and have +2 from blessings you can buff up to 21 for hidden objects and losing 4 acc is not a big deal at all)

(Even with 3 base res I always end up with 9-11 due to Berath's blessing, Nature's resolve and a couple item bonuses, not that this is needed it just kinda happens automatically)

For me not maxing Int is almost never a question not even because I ask myself what benefits I get from Int (and for most chars there is plenty) but what meager tradeoff I would get by not maxing it.

As to Sacred Immolation I already mentioned earlier in this thread the best TCS char I have played so far (all upscaled) was a monk/pala (died after beating BoW and most level 20 challenges, my demise was due to a trap and me being to lazy to go back and buy a thief's putty) and pala/monk happens to not only get almost max Int cap (I had 32) due to monk modal, but also happens to only take 2 ticks of SI's raw damage.

I've tried pretty much every pala, fighter and cipher mc in the game and ofc a lot of other mcs and a couple single classes and none performed better than monk pala with max int, crazy thing is SI is not even core to this build (my actual TCS char didn't have it) it's just a bonus you get which happens to work super well with high int.

As to long fights you do benefit less from resources but if you can combine pala with a resource friendly class like chanter, rogue, monk (unlimited tenacious of wounds), cipher who will also benefit from Int it just makes long fights super easy because your buffs will last longer and you will get them back without resources or in case of the rogue some talents like persistent distraction and deathblows are just completely unrelated to resources.

I don't think Nature's Resolve works anymore. I ate the mushroom at two locations and one time it seems it does nothing and the other time i got wounded and attacked afterwards.

Nature's Resolve works fine, you're just not allowed to have cruel or aggressive reputation. ;)

I have stoic / rational and nothing in cruel or aggressive ...

No idea, it works for me on every build see Screenshot:

post-152028-0-40794700-1537732597_thumb.jpg

The bug is cleared if you just move in closer, no need to disengage. Annoying for sure, though. 

As a rogue, don't you get an end combat button at level 4?

Thank you :) I was so annoyed with it, I hope they fix it soon.

What is the end combat button at level 4?

Fair point. I suppose my reasoning behind testing the first island is because I feel like if a character can pass the drake fight it should in theory be able to handle ship battles (at least the ones that are around the same level.

The whole approach to judge a character by performance on starting island, sadly doesn't work at all since v 1.2 and "new" PotD, at least in a solo game there are far harder challenges in the endgame and you won't judge a character by level 5 at all, but rather around level 15-16 since you can almost completely avoid combat till level 16, but there is plenty of fights which prove a challenge at level 20, since with upscaling (all) there is plenty of creatures higher level than you, BoW dragon for example has 3 skulls if pc is level 20 and the first burning archer ambush is super hard for most classes, paladin or fighter mc is almost necessary here and something like streetfighter would most likely underperform since there is almost no flanking in these fights.

I see, well thats good in a way. I"m really just hoping to build a character that can solo the game melee. I see a ton of arguments for streetfighter over devoted with this combo. Are you saying that goldpact/devoted would perform better than goldpact/streetfighter in the late game bosses?

Skill Focus:
Athletics/Mechanics
History

CONCLUSION:
I could see that DPS-wise streetfighter will out preform Devoted. However, during the early levels you will be punished with multiple reloads. Are we talking a huge DPS difference between the two classes? From what I see rouge is just slightly better in terms of damage (thought I’ve yet to run the same stats). The point difference is a single hit point across the spread of the run. Devoted on the other hand could stand in the middle of a swarm and basically stay around full health.

Also I noticed a bug with two handed where the character doesn’t attack but the sound of the weapon swing plays, you physically have to disengage and tee gage to attack again.

Streetfighter gets +30% Damage from Sneak Attack and +100% crit damage while bloodied and flanked, what pretty much outdamages every other matial class.

And here is where streetfighter gets a huge vote. The majority of fights involve swarms of enemies. the faster you can kill the swarm the faster you can move on. I think I've build my test wrong in this case, the starts are probably not going to make the streetfighter tanky enough.

... And +50% Heating up sneak bonus.

How is this achieved? I never noticed it during any of the fights.

...and at later levels also gets automatic Deathblows form Perdistent Distraction, in addition to all that.

As Theosupus and Raven note, testing up to level 5 on the first island is not representative. DPS-wise, goldpact/streetfighter is much better once it comes together (at around level 10). That’s about 1/4 of the way through the game.

(One other note about your test: I take it you were wearing brigandine against the boar. That armor is a very poor choice against piercing. So that fact will skew you’re assessment of heavy vs medium armor.)

How does that work? the automatic deathblows, I've built a street fighter before and feel like I've missed out then...

Survival wise will the streetfighter catch up to the devoted later in the game?

As for the boar fight, I'll switch back to medium armor and give it another retry.

One final note about your test: while the stats you choose look great (IMO) for a solo Goldpact/Devoted build, I'm not crazy about them for a solo Goldpact/Streetfighter build, which gets significantly less from the Int investment. For a Goldpact/Streetfighter, I'd be inclined to instead go for something like this (pre BB):
M 18
C 10
D 18
P 18
I 3
R 11
Couple that with the Ring of Mule Wit to give yourself resistance to all mind afflictions(!) and you're looking pretty good. (True, the Ring gives you a -8 Int penalty. But that stops at 1 Int, meaning you only take an effective -2 Int penalty. And Int doesn't really do much for you anyway...)

In the end what would you say the more optimal build is? Devoted or Streetfighter?

That ring... that seems super OP "Resistance to Perception, Intelligence, and Resolve afflictions"

Doesn't resolve raise your deflection though? and isn't that a good thing wither either devoted/paladin or streetfighter/paladin?

For the perception comment. I feel like i want to max perception with a devoted class to achieve over penetration (I believe that's how it works, though I've been wrong so many times in this thread it hurts). I think a minimum of 16 perception will allow you to see every trap in the game as well won't it?

But then you can pretty much forget about Lay on Hands. I guess you could rely on pots for healing.

Yeah, LoH is the one ability you kind of care about that gets hit by the low Int.

But combined with Exalted Endurance and a very high armor, I've found LoH to still be good enough (with a maxed Might) to get me through boss fights. And there's a weird way in which the smaller healing bumps you get from LoH with a low Int is good for a Streetfighter, since it makes it easier for you to control your healing, and keep yourself in the Bloodied zone.

But yeah, there is a cost. But that cost is easily outweighed (IMO) by all the benefits you get by plunking those 13 points into other stats instead...

I feel like the majority of the time I'd be using up all my zeal on Sworn Enemy since i'd want to remain gilded as much as possible, for that reason i don't see using LoH of FoD as offten.

Also i don't think Exalted Endurance stacks with gilded, so that leaves you with the accuracy aura or the stride aura. Not even sure which on to pick at this point.

of course this is all if streetfighter is the clear winner here (and it seems like the majority of people are leaning that way). If devoted is the winner I'd definitely want to get that INT way up there so disciplined strikes can last longer.

I agree that, in general, it’s not good to dump Int.

And I agree that LoH is very good. (It’s so good, that it’s still really good even if you dump Int!)

And I’ll grant you that the Res vs Int tradeoff is something one could reasonably debate making a different choice about.

I think you might be underestimating Per here, though. I think Per is pretty good in general, but it’s *really* good for this build, because of the massive damage boost to crits streetfighters can get. That makes accuracy increases, which increase crit chance, significantly more valuable for this build than for most.

(I also think the benefit of getting resistance to all mind afflictions is pretty amazing, and so a non-trivial factor that weighs in favor of dumping Int in this case.)

My easiest upscaled PotD solo run was with a Goldpact/Streetfighter built roughly along the lines I described, so I know that this stat line works. But that class combination is such a strong combo that there are probably a lot of different stat lines one could run it with, and I grant that one could reasonably question whether this particular stat line was best. (Though I’m still kinda inclined to think it is!)

Skill Focus:

Athletics/Mechanics

History

CONCLUSION:

And here is where streetfighter gets a huge vote. The majority of fights involve swarms of enemies. the faster you can kill the swarm the faster you can move on. I think I've build my test wrong in this case, the starts are probably not going to make the streetfighter tanky enough.

How does that work? the automatic deathblows, I've built a street fighter before and feel like I've missed out then...

Survival wise will the streetfighter catch up to the devoted later in the game?

As for the boar fight, I'll switch back to medium armor and give it another retry.

M 18

C 10

D 18

P 18

I 3

R 11

In the end what would you say the more optimal build is? Devoted or Streetfighter?

That ring... that seems super OP "Resistance to Perception, Intelligence, and Resolve afflictions"

Doesn't resolve raise your deflection though? and isn't that a good thing wither either devoted/paladin or streetfighter/paladin?

For the perception comment. I feel like i want to max perception with a devoted class to achieve over penetration (I believe that's how it works, though I've been wrong so many times in this thread it hurts). I think a minimum of 16 perception will allow you to see every trap in the game as well won't it?

I feel like the majority of the time I'd be using up all my zeal on Sworn Enemy since i'd want to remain gilded as much as possible, for that reason i don't see using LoH of FoD as offten.

Also i don't think Exalted Endurance stacks with gilded, so that leaves you with the accuracy aura or the stride aura. Not even sure which on to pick at this point.

of course this is all if streetfighter is the clear winner here (and it seems like the majority of people are leaning that way). If devoted is the winner I'd definitely want to get that INT way up there so disciplined strikes can last longer.

Yeah, I’m inclined to think streetfighter is the winner (especially after lvl 10+).

Re Zeal: Sworn Rival returns the Zeal investment once you kill your target, so you only need one Zeal to use it as much as you want. (And since they’ll die quickly against a streetfighter, you’ll get the armor bonus a lot!)

Re Exalted Endurance: the armor bonus won’t stack, but it’s the limitless regeneration that makes it amazing, not the armor bonus. (Especially great for streetfighter is the fact you can turn it on and off to keep yourself in the Bloodied zone.)

Re Deathblows: Persistent distraction actually inflicts two conditions, so as long as you’re next to them, Deathblows will automatically activate. It’s pretty amazing.

Edited by whimper

You must have achieved it, but maybe missed it. "Heating Up" is the condition prior to "On the Edge", when you're flanked, but not yet blooded or blooded, but not flanked.

It provides 50% Recovery reduction too, btw. Of course the bonuses persist when you're both Flanked and Bloodied and "On the Edge" (when additional +100% Crit damage kicks in).

Edited by Haplok

You must have achieved it, but maybe missed it. "Heating Up" is the condition prior to "On the Edge", when you're flanked, but not yet blooded or blooded, but not flanked.

It provides 50% Recovery reduction too, btw. Of course the bonuses persist when you're both Flanked and Bloodied and "On the Edge" (when additional +100% Crit damage kicks in).

I totally missed it. Seems like when you are about 50% health it kicks in.

Hello everyone, so I completed my run with a Goldpact/Streetfighter (had to switch to medium armor for the Boars, then back to Heavy for the Drake), in the end I was able to solo the entire first island. Though feeling more vulnerable than my Devoted run, I think the clear winner here from all the discussions seems to point toward Streetfighter. I hope you’ll stick with me as we put this build together. For a jumping off point I’ll use u/ whimpers stats (he seems to have done this run before and it looks quite viable).

Personally I’d like to avoid any sort of shield with this build, I don’t mind being tanky but weapon and shield style just seems so boring…

Class:

Holy Slayer - Goldpact Knights/Streetfighter

Race:

Human

Attributes:

MIG: 18 >> 22 (BB, GoTM, Effigy)

CON: 10 >> 12 (BB)

DEX: 18 >> 20 (BB)

PER: 18 >> 20 (BB)

INT: 3 >> 5 (BB)

RES: 11 >> 13 (BB)

Abilities:

Level 1

(GP): Flames of Devotion

(SF): Crippling Strike

Level 2

(GP): Deep Faith

Level 3

(GP): Retribution

Level 4

(GP): Zealous Aura

(SF): Dirty Fighting

Level 5*

(GP) / (SF): Two-Handed Style or Two Weapon Style

Level 6

(GP): Lay on Hands

Level 7

(GP): Sworn Rival

(SF): Riposte

Level 8

(GP): Eternal Devotion

Level 9

(SF): Debilitating Strike

Level 10

(GP): Exalted Endurance

(SF): Persistent Distraction

Level 11

(GP): Divine Purpose

Level 12

(SF): Finishing Blow

Level 13

(GP): Uncanny Luck

(SF): Deep Wounds

Level 14

(SF): Deep Wounds

Level 15

(SF): Eliminating Blow

Level 16

(GP): Improved Critical

(SF): Slippery Mind

Level 17

(GP):

(SF):

Level 18

(GP):

(SF):

Level 19

(GP): Virtuous Triumph

(SF): Death Blows

Level 20

(GP):

(SF):

* Can defeat the Drake encounter on the first island at this point.

Gears:

Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge

Weapons (OH): Tarn's Respite / Beza's Toothed Blade

or/alt Weapon: Sanguine Great Sword / Whispers of the Endless Paths

Neck:

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Ring of Mule's Wit (-8 INT)

Ring 2: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES) / Entonia Signet Ring / Voidward

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers

Cloak: Nemnok's Cloak / Cape of the Falling Star

Head:  Cap of the Laughingstock or/alt Helm of the Falcon

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX) / Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Abraham

Skills:

Athletics: 10

Mechanics: 10

History: MAX

Edited by diamondsforever

A huge MIG score is kinda wasted on a character who gets so many %dmg multipliers (Rogue). Also no offensive skills at all? Do you just auto attack everything? :x

I was hoping not. Ultimately I think I'd be using rogue offensive abilities as much as possible. I was actually hoping for some input on ability layouts.

Abilities:

Level 1

(GP): Flames of Devotion

(SF): Crippling Strike

Level 2

(GP): Deep Faith

Level 3

(GP): Retribution

Level 4

(GP): Zealous Aura

(SF): Dirty Fighting

Level 5*