If it's solo we're talking about I think you'd need more Dex, less Per, a bit more Con and less Mig. Because it won't be only attacks all the time. You'd need to use other things here and there and the chanter summons like a bit more speed. 

Two handed is ok, although I would advice to have more variety in your arsenal. 

I don't really have an opinion on all the chanter subs--Troubadour increases the cost of all of your spells... I imagine sometimes you'd want to summon something straight out of the gate, though, taking a step back is also an option. Generally, I'd pick a clean chanter.

I don't know if Flames of Devotion would heal you(it says allies.) If it doesn't, Goldpact's armour bonus would fit you very well. Less damage suffered will free more time for you to do other things. Whereas with FoD heals you need to be attacking. 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

If it's solo we're talking about I think you'd need more Dex, less Per, a bit more Con and less Mig. Because it won't be only attacks all the time. You'd need to use other things here and there and the chanter summons like a bit more speed. 

Two handed is ok, although I would advice to have more variety in your arsenal. 

I don't really have an opinion on all the chanter subs--Troubadour increases the cost of all of your spells... I imagine sometimes you'd want to summon something straight out of the gate, though, taking a step back is also an option. Generally, I'd pick a clean chanter.

I don't know if Flames of Devotion would heal you(it says allies.) If it doesn't, Goldpact's armour bonus would fit you very well. Less damage suffered will free more time for you to do other things. Whereas with FoD heals you need to be attacking. 

I'm thinking I won't need much con due to chanter healing abilities and paladin healing. I shouldn't need much dex, though I'm open to splitting perception and dex 13/13 if its more advisable?

Maybe someone else can weigh in.

Troubadour is the best chanter subclass by far.

I've been reading that, though I've never played one.

id personally go wayfarer/troub then equip sasha scimitar and CS. Stack athletics and metaphysics and youre neigh invulnerable. use Chromo staff as backup weapon for finishing things off.

Hmm that scimitar makes a compelling case. Whats CS though? Would you duel wield even with the 35% damage reduction?

Metaphysics instead of history? What does metaphysics buff?

I like the idea of a 2-handed back up weapon, sounds fun :)

CS is a large shield that +def per athletics and -% all incoming damage per metaphysics. combine with cloak greater deflection and your def goes through the roof on a pally. and metaphysics add extra damage w/ the chromo staff

Cadhu Scalth, interesting. I hadn't considered using a shield, I thought the gameplay might be too slow if i did that. It really looks like you could tank a lot of damage this way though... I"m at odds now, it feels like this is the way to go if I wanted to take on every fight in the game...

I wonder if it’s better to 2hand or dual wield, and if the fight is overly tough switch to the shield. Meaning specialize in either two handed or dual wield?

In my experience, solo PotD is much easier with sword and board than the other two options. And the benefits weapon and shield style give you are (IMO) much greater than the boosts you get from the two-handed and dual weapon styles. (The massive boost to reflex saves alone is pretty amazing.) So I think picking shield and weapon style is probably the best option here.

(The exception being if you have a build constructed around a particular weapon, in which case just choose that.)

Edited by whimper

I personally like monk/x now. The safe choice is Paladin/monk but other versions like monk/priest also exist for solo.

The reason is that the bash small shield Tuitilos palm on a monk means you have good defense and offense combined since it counts as an unarmed monk attack. The new fire medium shield found in magran's temple in Nekataka is also interesting for this in combination with scion of flame on paladin/monk and ring of focused flame.

Add high arcana as a cherry on top for fire scrolls and you are set without needing to summon stuff.

the other choice for me is paladin/trickster holy slayer built around stacking lots of deflection and riposte. single target damage is still good because you are a rogue and have access to flames of devotion from paladin, both very resource effective. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

I personally like monk/x now. The safe choice is Paladin/monk but other versions like monk/priest also exist for solo.

The reason is that the bash small shield Tuitilos palm on a monk means you have good defense and offense combined since it counts as an unarmed monk attack. The new fire medium shield found in magran's temple in Nekataka is also interesting for this in combination with scion of flame on paladin/monk and ring of focused flame.

Add high arcana as a cherry on top for fire scrolls and you are set without needing to summon stuff.

the other choice for me is paladin/trickster holy slayer built around stacking lots of deflection and riposte. single target damage is still good because you are a rogue and have access to flames of devotion from paladin, both very resource effective. 

I don't think Magran shield benefits from unarmed bonuses. :(

That does make me wonder though if a "shield" devoted can increase its stats lol. hmmmm

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 1

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

I don't think Magran shield benefits from unarmed bonuses. :(

Aye it doesn't :(

PotD solo build to go? Wizard, the strongest class. Oh melee? Then melee/wizard, the half-strongest class.

Yeah, Kind Wayfarers/Wizard my beloved combinations, last time when I tested it, I manage to kill any boss dragons stupidly fast - with Combusting Wounds abusing - summon your copy, use Morning Star to lower Fortitude, then cast Combusting Wounds and switch on DW blunderbusses, cast Avenging Storm from Headgear, start spam Flames of Devotion, when boss become in near death state use Marux Amanth

Sometimes enough Minoletta's Minor Missiles casts

Edited by mant2si
  • Like 1

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I wonder if it’s better to 2hand or dual wield, and if the fight is overly tough switch to the shield. Meaning specialize in either two handed or dual wield?

In my experience, solo PotD is much easier with sword and board than the other two options. And the benefits weapon and shield style give you are (IMO) much greater than the boosts you get from the two-handed and dual weapon styles. (The massive boost to reflex saves alone is pretty amazing.) So I think picking shield and weapon style is probably the best option here.

(The exception being if you have a build constructed around a particular weapon, in which case just choose that.)

Thank you, I've almost decided on it. I think once i get summon ogres it should keep my damage up to survive most fights with relative ease. I've tried several duo-runs and find its quote possible to fight every battle in the game, including the first island. That's what i'm hoping to achieve here solo anyways :)

I'd lower Mig, Res and Int and max out dex on a character going 2h or weapon and shield. Especially considering Herald don't get anything to help with action or recovery speed

The reason for high might is so that my heals are more effective. I am worried that this character will be slow as hell though... I'm open to alternate stats layouts.

PotD solo build to go? Wizard, the strongest class. Oh melee? Then melee/wizard, the half-strongest class.

I've played several wizards, I always feel less like a nuker when i multi them with melee. I had thought either wizard/chanter or wizard/priest could be fun though?

Check out Sin Tee on YouTube, he has solo guides for a Monk, Swashbuckler and Wizard.

His guides are good, but i don't think he's updated them recently.

Yeah, Kind Wayfarers/Wizard my beloved combinations, last time when I tested it, I manage to kill any boss dragons stupidly fast - with Combusting Wounds abusing - summon your copy, use Morning Star to lower Fortitude, then cast Combusting Wounds and switch on DW blunderbusses, cast Avenging Storm from Headgear, start spam Flames of Devotion, when boss become in near death state use Marux Amanth

Sometimes enough Minoletta's Minor Missiles casts

What would your starting stats be?

What weapon spec sword and shield?

What skills would you focus on? Arcana? History?

Hello Everyone,

SO, I've been reading and i'm starting to wonder if Devoted / Chanter is better than Paladin / Chanter?

According to another post (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105677-melee-weapons-help/) dual wielding nets you more damage and even with the recent 35% reduction still out performs 2-handed. I'm really torn on how to play this character and what is the best way to go...

I really want to be able to solo every fight in the game, start to finish. I prefer to rely on foods and gears for extra stat increases. BUT, I really don't want to have to use drugs or scrolls.

I LOVE the idea of using a greatsword/estoc... but see the benefits of dual wielding...

Please help me :wub: