What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

Ascended into Silver tier of Overwatch, still have neckbeards spazzing out telling me to 'git gud'.

Please, Overwatch is normie bull****.

Well, certainly have run into a lot of guys that come across like them this season.  It is funny how Bronze is actually more fun to play in than Silver.  Delusions of competence, I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am wondering why would people repeatedly buy a product that sends a message to the developer that they can get away with stuff like micro-transactions in a single player game.

Because even if you buy the game you can ignore the microtransactions, which I would imagine also sends a much clearer picture on your opinion than just not getting the game and leaving them to wonder why vs (hypothetically) 80% of buyers not touching the micros.

I am wondering why would people repeatedly buy a product that sends a message to the developer that they can get away with stuff like micro-transactions in a single player game.

Because even if you buy the game you can ignore the microtransactions, which I would imagine also sends a much clearer picture on your opinion than just not getting the game and leaving them to wonder why vs (hypothetically) 80% of buyers not touching the micros.

The problem with that is that the Dev don't need more than 20 % of the community using microtransactions. They can still do meta data on those labeled 'spenders,' as the internal practices of another company recently indicated. Microtransactions do not belong in a single player game. Arguably--they shouldn't exist.

The second problem with that lies with the rpg elements themselves. Instead of a tighter and more original style of gameplay, you're stuck with something that assumes you may partake in said microtransactions, so even if you don't partake, they still somewhat ruin your game.  

Buying the game sends the message to the developer that they can get away with it. Once you stop supporting the base idea is when it will be over. Not gonna happen, I know. 

• Like 2

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

they make you grind for stuff to artificially increase play-time for absolutely no reason

No they don't. They make you do side-quests if you want to have enough XP to progress through the main quest, but the amount of side stuff you're required to do is absolutely in line with any other RPG that has pointless numbers telling players how strong everything is, like The Witcher 3 that Ass Creed Origins and Ody take the most inspiration from.

It's unfortunate that these games contain MS, but they existed since, like, Ass Creed 4, were always tucked away in a menu somewhere and there was no need to ever touch them - a feature rather obviously implemented to tick a box that management asked for. Devs seem to realize that making microtransactions mandatory would only lead to a worse game in the end, so all big budget SP titles including them (that I know of) never actually required player to use them.

Edited by Fenixp

I kinda shrug at that, to be honest. I guess it's debatable how historical the games actually are, but they do put a super human of some description into them all the time... what if they sought inspiration from historically accurate assassins?

It'd probably be a pretty short game if it was an accurate depiction of assassins. :p

I also probably wouldn't be able to climb to the top of the Duomo Di Santa Maria Del Fiore, and then jump from the top and land safely in a haystack. Never let realism get in the way of fun gameplay, I suppose.

Buying the game sends the message to the developer that they can get away with it. Once you stop supporting the base idea is when it will be over. Not gonna happen, I know.

I'd have to disagree, voting with our wallets our wallets has no affect one way or the other whatsoever if a game continues to have micro-transactions or not. In most cases, it's the publisher's decision anyway, who make the call. If you are not forced, why should the dev recieve punishment for it?

But I don't believe in the ever growing paranoia amongst the community that pre-purchasing, micro-transacrions and dlc are bad and anti-comsumer, it's just choice. It's only really anti-consumer when it becomes anti-player (pay-to-win progression walls) which is very rare unless you're in an f2p pvp mmo or a mobile experience. Nobody is being forced, some people just don't like that others can blow money. I'm not guessing wrong here, I've seen such a discussion on Steam hehe

In the case that open world action driven games have done or are doing rpg elements far better than Crpg/Arpg, for this is true, I often ask myself why it's hard for developers to include such things into their rpg, then I remember that Crpg/Arpg are usually more laid-back and casual experiences. I definitely would love a Crpg with the rpg elements that alot of modern open world game does well, for that would be a Crpg to remember. Truly.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I still don't know why Desmond stabbed that blonde chick in AssCreed.

It was revealed in the DLC (that I never bought either)! She was secretly working for the Templars all along!

I bet you thought it was because they just wanted to stop paying Kristen Bell. No, it was masterful storytell... I just realized I'm still bitter about it all these years later. I am so sorry.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I kinda shrug at that, to be honest. I guess it's debatable how historical the games actually are, but they do put a super human of some description into them all the time... what if they sought inspiration from historically accurate assassins?

It'd probably be a pretty short game if it was an accurate depiction of assassins. :p

I also probably wouldn't be able to climb to the top of the Duomo Di Santa Maria Del Fiore, and then jump from the top and land safely in a haystack. Never let realism get in the way of fun gameplay, I suppose.

Yeah. I'm still enjoying the heck of it. I really dig that I get a SP MMO where I may delve light-heartedly into beautiful maps and just do some simple grinding and fetch quests without any hogging co-players or crowding/queues at key-NPCs. I haven't played any other MMOs except like 20 levels of WoW and LotRO, but that was almost enough, so I've stayed away from them, just like usually stay away from MP Diablo, Grim Dawn or Path of Exile. Also, in this case, it seems I have the advantage of never having touched any AssCreed game, since I just view this for what it is, and that is something pretty darn great in my book. It's a perfect time killer/escape for me after a hard day's work. :)

I still don't know why Desmond stabbed that blonde chick in AssCreed.

To prevent her to become a suicide blonde...

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

they make you grind for stuff to artificially increase play-time for absolutely no reason

No they don't. They make you do side-quests if you want to have enough XP to progress through the main quest, but the amount of side stuff you're required to do is absolutely in line with any other RPG that has pointless numbers telling players how strong everything is, like The Witcher 3 that Ass Creed Origins and Ody take the most inspiration from.

Precisely the point. Your standard must have lowered somewhat, especially since you mention Witcher 3 and Origins, because it's with these games that artificial stat fest takes place instead of a more varied design with encounters. If you like that, that's fine. I'm probably in the minority here, but still, I don't understand what is so appealing to have one enemy with at a point in the game, then have the same variation of said enemy, but more bullet spongy and with increased damage.

I'd have to disagree, voting with our wallets our wallets has no affect one way or the other whatsoever if a game continues to have micro-transactions or not. In most cases, it's the publisher's decision anyway, who make the call. If you are not forced, why should the dev recieve punishment for it?

No, I am not forced. That's why I don't participate at all. I've already said that a model that assumes people will partake in it spoil the game mechanics to a degree. And as long as people even spend a dime on something that costs less than that to implement, it will be in there, rinse and repeat.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Precisely the point. Your standard must have lowered somewhat, especially since you mention Witcher 3 and Origins, because it's with these games that artificial stat fest takes place instead of a more varied design with encounters. If you like that, that's fine. I'm probably in the minority here, but still, I don't understand what is so appealing to have one enemy with at a point in the game, then have the same variation of said enemy, but more bullet spongy and with increased damage.

Oh I think it's terrible design, but microtransactions are not at fault there. There's a reason why I called them "Pointless numbers telling players how strong everything is".

No they don't. They make you do side-quests if you want to have enough XP to progress through the main quest, but the amount of side stuff you're required to do is absolutely in line with any other RPG that has pointless numbers telling players how strong everything is, like The Witcher 3 that Ass Creed Origins and Ody take the most inspiration from.It's unfortunate that these games contain MS, but they existed since, like, Ass Creed 4, were always tucked away in a menu somewhere and there was no need to ever touch them - a feature rather obviously implemented to tick a box that management asked for. Devs seem to realize that making microtransactions mandatory would only lead to a worse game in the end, so all big budget SP titles including them (that I know of) never actually required player to use them.

Grinding for 7 hours to get enough XP to progress further in a game, is in my oppinion something more than what I would call optional sidequest content in line with Witcher 3. Or any other RPG I have ever played before. Including some mega grindy JRPGs...

https://youtu.be/58eeuSPLAlA

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Grinding for 7 hours to get enough XP to progress further in a game, is in my oppinion something more than what I would call optional sidequest content in line with Witcher 3. Or any other RPG I have ever played before. Including some mega grindy JRPGs...

https://youtu.be/58eeuSPLAlA

Or course Youtubers and jurnos are going to leech off the current 'Ubisoft is evil' fad as much as humanly possible. Fact of the matter is that you hit the level cap loong before you finish the game and you don't really have to go out of your way to do it, outside typical RPG tradition of doing side quests anyway.

And yes, you did have to do side-quests in TW3 to proceed the main storyline, some of them extremely lengthy. Whether you consider that grinding or not is entirely up to you - I don't tho, I loved that stuff.

Edit: Heck, I mean, the game even does the thing where you get the most XP for doing main quests, a bit less for doing side quests and doing the repetitive grindy stuff that's always been in ass creed games will net you by far the least.

Edited by Fenixp

I do not Consider Laymen Gaming hate-leechers. Especially, since one of the guys SkillUp made very good video about the game, and is of oppinion, that the game was not made grindy as an intention to sell the MTX. The other dude thinks difderently though. But still more facts than hate in the video :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Why do people still put money into BS like AC... 

Easy there, Edison.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why do people still put money into BS like AC...

Easy there, Edison.

What?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_currents

Steam webpage, enter search term, "cat". Spend a couple hours sifting. And thus I am playing:

Free visual novel released a couple days ago:

Stardew Valley like, sim game, but with cats? I'm so there.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts