Is there a set order to do quests in this game?  I know you're suppose to be able to just run around and do whatever, in theory anyways, but I can't shake the feeling that there's at least some kind of implied order to events. Like going to the Gullet before the palace seems to be backwards.  Is there a list of quests by level?

This isn't a Bethesda or sandbox game , thank goodness, but it's not strictly a linear one either. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

There's definitely a hidden line you should follow to have the best and fullest experience of the game. Obsidian obviously tried to make it flexible, which I really appreciate, but it doesn't quite work for some of the story as is. The - gameplay- generally still **works, ** but it's less enjoyable.

I can't tell you everything, because I messed up a lot I think and there's a lot of stuff, but I can say :

It seems best to go complete Port Majae > Do Dunnage? > Go straight to the palace in Neketaka > talk to prince on the Gullet >get Tekehu > go to Gullet and do Gullet things.

ALSO, *do not go past Dunnage in Serafen's quest until you've gone to Crookspur. *

Edited by Tick
  • Like 2

I think the order you do stuff in Neketaka in is pretty fluid, though obviously if the enemies are too high level you should go back later.

If you sail all over the place to towns where you don't have a quest yet, or focus too much on one faction and ignore the others, apparently stuff can break or make much less sense, but I don't know if theres any sort of guide to help with that. 

Definitely avoid following the main quest to Magran's teeth for as long as possible as that start forcing you to commit to or reject factions.  

Edited by aimlessgun
  • Like 4

Actually I need to clarify. Don't do more than Dunnage for Serafen's quest until you talk to Furrante after the quest with what's his face. Dude that loves his harpsichord. Furrante will want you to go to Crookspur when you talk to him after dealing with harpsichord man.

Ok so the way I tried it at first was Port Maje > Beeline to Neketaka > Gullet to try and find a flag for Fort Deadlight (No flag) > Get tangled in Gullet stuff > Frustrated reload.

This time it may be better to do Port Maje >  Kill first pirate that looks at me funny > Take flag > Fort Deadlight (stealthy assassination) > Dunnage > Neketaka Palace > Takehu > Destroy Takehu's shine in the gullet >  Profit?

I'd suggest to visit the Watershapers' Guild first, then to go to the Palace.

Though, I went to the Gullet before the Palace, and to the Palace before Fort Deadlight (flag isn't required for the stealthy approach, by the way).

Ok so the way I tried it at first was Port Maje > Beeline to Neketaka > Gullet to try and find a flag for Fort Deadlight (No flag) > Get tangled in Gullet stuff > Frustrated reload.

This time it may be better to do Port Maje > Kill first pirate that looks at me funny > Take flag > Fort Deadlight (stealthy assassination) > Dunnage > Neketaka Palace > Takehu > Destroy Takehu's shine in the gullet > Profit?

I don't know about those last two, but the order sounds right. :)

Thanks for making this post. Its something I was wondering about as well.

From my experience, I would also suggest not visiting any of the islands until you finish going through Neketaka or get a specific quest to go there. I made the mistake of exploring first and finished so many quests before I even got them. It completely ruined the story and absolutely nothing made sense.

This is how I plan to do it next playthrough.

Port Maje > Deadlight > Dunnage > Go back to Deadlight when pirate lady sends you the letter > beeline straight for Palace > Talk to prince > Teheku > Explore Nekataka > Explore islands but only after receiving a quest for them (or they are empty loot islands) > DLC? > Hold off on Hosongo as long as I can > Ashen Maw > Finish loose ends > Go to Ukaizo  

• Like 3

Port Maje > Neketaka Palace > Everything Else In Neketaka > Talk to Serafen and make a plan > Deadlight > Dunnage.

This feels the most natural, in hindsight. Also gets you the Principi Flag from Dereo (diplomatically or violently).

• Like 4

Is there a set order to do quests in this game? 

Not really. I've done things in different orders and it works fine (and you may get a different outcome). You will have a different experience but not necessarily worse. No need to meta-game.

It's worth playing things a few different ways to experience everything that the game has to offer. 

My suggestion after two playthroughs is to (unfortunately) not explore freely but rather focus on the quests at hand and complete them prior to the next story mission. The game gets super buggy if you happen upon something without having a mission for it, or if you put it off until after the next story mission.

• Like 4

My suggestion after two playthroughs is to (unfortunately) not explore freely but rather focus on the quests at hand and complete them prior to the next story mission. The game gets super buggy if you happen upon something without having a mission for it, or if you put it off until after the next story mission.

I agree. I avoided the main quest and did a lot of exploration first and it did look strange. Sometimes I found things that didn't make sense or caused bugs (like the rotten eel for the guy who swallowed a pearl).

For my next pt I'll get the companions asap and then follow the quests.

Why is almost everyone suggesting getting Tekehu after going to the palace? Isn't there some interesting reaction when taking him there?

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I agree. I avoided the main quest and did a lot of exploration first and it did look strange. Sometimes I found things that didn't make sense or caused bugs (like the rotten eel for the guy who swallowed a pearl).

For my next pt I'll get the companions asap and then follow the quests.

Why is almost everyone suggesting getting Tekehu after going to the palace? Isn't there some interesting reaction when taking him there?

Because it helps avoid doing quests ahead of getting the palace event and companions related, and because the prince will specifically get Tekehu involved right after the palace incident

Port Maje > Neketaka Palace > Everything Else In Neketaka > Talk to Serafen and make a plan > Deadlight > Dunnage.

This feels the most natural, in hindsight. Also gets you the Principi Flag from Dereo (diplomatically or violently).

You can also steal a Principi flag from Mad Moreno's office in the Undercroft, if you want to head out for Deadlight before doing the whole Old City thing. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the awesome responses!

I can see how the order of gettting Takehu (before or after palace) probably doesn't matter as much, but it does seem like it's worth having him in the party when it comes time to go to the Gullet.  After that, the quests seem to flow pretty smoothly in Neketaka.  

I absolutely can see how just running off and exploring could mess  up quests. I tried that on my second game restart before I realized that, unlike the Elder Scrolls games where you can look at the main quest and go 'nah I'm gonna go do this instead' , this game does have a loosely implied order of events. 

On an unrelated note, I love how Berath totally sends you to the wheel if you refuse her. Best first (second death?) game death ever.

You can also steal a Principi flag from Mad Moreno's office in the Undercroft, if you want to head out for Deadlight before doing the whole Old City thing.

True! Though in my first game I did the old city before undercroft because they raised the lift on me! I’m still grumpy I cannot yell at them for that.
  • Like 1

Port Maje -> Fort Deadlight

I've thought about this, can you expand?

Expand on further order?

Fort Deadlight not only seems let's say "natural" after learning where Benweth, who left me stranded, is but its neat quest with several solutions, experience,  interesting loot, sidekick, and merchant.  Serafen has knowledge of the fort and his own interests in it too. 

• Like 2

Since this is the spoiler's thread I'm assuming I can go whole hog on descriptions/breakdowns.  If this is incorrect please let me know. :)

I'd like to add to what Knownastherat said.  Story-wise going from Port Maje directly to Fort Deadlight makes Serafen's quest and narrative flow more smoothly.  The order of events essentially would go: 

Attacked by Benweth > Shipwrecked > Port Maje > Ambush by Furrante > Recruit Serafen > Learn Benweth's ship took damage and made port at Fort Deadlight (implied timed deadline before his ship is seaworthy again) > Plan with Serafen > Sail to Deadlight (racing implied deadline).  

V

- Personal experience here: I was attacked by a pirate on the way, Weathered Cormio, and took his flag. This added several narrative benefits since it gave access to the flag, introduced ship combat, and gave weight to Furrante's warning that Benweths' successful attack makes my ship look like easy prey to all the other pirates.-

V

And onward:   Break into deadlight (whichever way you do it) > Serafen introduces his motivation/quest > Deal with Benweth (and learn a little bit about the new blood Principi) > Benweth story arch closed/resolved

Sail to Neketaka > Receive letters from both Furrante and Aeldys both of which the PC now has a bit of knowledge of > Neketaka > Serafen see's Malnaj's boat > Ambush by Malnaj

And that's as far as I've gotten so far, but it does seem to have a better narrative flow.  

So far the main conflict I've seen is between the implied time table to deal with Benweth and the implied damage to the PC's ship. When I left Port Maje, I got the impression the ship's repair was a rush job and that reaching Neketaka was a priority since The Defiant is essentially being held together by rubber bands and chewing gum.  However, since all threats ingame seem to be implied (unless the gods are concerned), this narrative flow is still my favorite.

Edited by Epixia
  • Like 4