Pictures of your Games 11 - The Quickening

Gosh darn it, fired up FFXV for first time in 2.5 months, just wanted to check an info detail real quick, in and out type thing, end up Ansel-ing for two hours and taking 10GB of screenshots. Why does this game +graphics + Ansel = instant crack??  :facepalm: 

ffxv-ramuh-summon-003.jpg

ffxv-ramuh-summon-002.jpg

ffxv-ramuh-summon-007.jpg

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

98fr1UF.jpg

0Vk0Tt3.jpg

ph02gqM.jpg

I finally got a new locomotive, a Pellinore-class Trader. I named it "Rocinante". I chose this locomotive because of the larger cargo hold and extra utility upgrade slot, which will allow me to keep my cargo hold expansion and add either a mining drill or butchering scoop (I haven't decided which to get yet, though I'm leaning toward the mining drill). As an added bonus, this locomotive has more armor than the crappy starter.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Grandmother, why do you have such big ... claws...?
20190208104942_1.jpg

20190208105114_1.jpg

Meow!
20190208105616_1.jpg

EDIT: hmm, thumbnails not loading for me. Though it was because I used PNG files at first but JPG doesn't seem to work either :/

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

My little D3 pet review

I've played D3 season 16 quite a bit, and apart from the pets I already had due to preordering, DLCs, one or two earlier seasons years ago, and a few Blizzcons (I'm a sucker/collector for Hearthstone, don't judge me too harshly), I had only found one pet before this season: the Mimic.

But this season I acquired The Butcher and the Cow from the Darkening of Tristam event,

and then The Bumble and thereafter Lady Sheep with a sword, Ghom's little cousin, the Voodoo Doll, as well as the Malfeasant ghost, via Menagerie goblins.

What I've done is that I've taken all of these pets on a ride through rifts and bounties, and after this wear and tear, I have my own little list on which of these I like or dislike, and a few reasons why.

Without further ado, here goes nothing:

I start from the bottom and work my way to the top…

The cow:

4plmSW.jpg

-Cute idea, but it's head is always bent down as if grazing

- It's stiff, as are its legs

-And it can't run, it's trotting clunkily and irritatingly in an endless vibrating loop

-Gets stuck with its weird hitbox everywhere

Asmodan:

AST7df.jpg

-A lot of legs, and they all stutter as he has a hard time running fast and keeping up. Annoying when you play.

-Pretty creepy, an eyesore

-Hard to make out due to colour and appearance against most backgrounds and among many enemy types

The Voodoo Doll:

R7Cm10.jpg

-Just a small beige egg-shaped mass wiggling frenetically wherever you go

-Boring appearance in-game. Hard to see and make out what it's supposed to be

Butcher:

IcyF8b.jpg

-Tough colours against most backgrounds

-Janky movements and twitchy running

-Butt-ugly, bad polygons

The Mimic:

-Basically, just a treasure chest stuttering along

-It gets caught a lot, it's hard to see

-Like most of the worst pets, it's at its best when you're in town, and it does its idle animations

The Malfeasant Ghost:

gfH4DL.jpg

-It moves in a disturbing wave motion, like a fish swimming sideways, and that's all. Very simple model

-Difficult to see in many cases, even in my Options menu or Main Menu

-At least it's reasonably quick and a cool concept

ALL PETS FROM HERE ON OUT HAVEN*T GOT ANY SUPER-ANNOYING RUNNING ANIMATION OR MOVEMENT

The glowing skeleton dog:

Smkv8B.jpg

s0jz5f.jpg

-Pretty decent running animation

-Behaves like a dog

-But a bit hard to make out during battles

-And its glowing effect sometimes leaves its skeletal frame, especially the ribs, jutting out from them

The Halfmade Golem:

xNB66F.jpg

-Surprisingly, it has a pretty neat running animation, like a galloping slomo meat tortoise

-Fugly sack of Frankenstein butcher cuts

-Not very easy to see in the D3 turmoil

The Starcraft Spaceship:

ppBm80.jpg

-Fast and smooth flying animation

-And it's indeed quick and expedient, hardly ever getting snagged with its hitbox

-But the downside is no fun deal at all: I rarely ever make it out when moving and fighting demons. Once, I played with a DH, and his turrets and this spaceship looked as if they were like the same kind of mechanical contraption

Lady Sheep:

htUJcm.jpg

52nLtN.jpg

-She moves almost like an NPC in my party. Nice pace

-She even charges with her sword against enemies

-She's rather easy to make out against most backgrounds

Frost Mongrel:

tevHPW.jpg

LECei5.jpg

-Pretty great running animation, nice pace

-Easy to make out in most situations in-game

-Otherwise somewhat bland

Ghom:

cIphhH.jpg

-Surprisingly nice! Moves pretty good despite being small in a wobbly-smooth manner

-Hardly ever gets caught with its hitbox, picks up stuff with no problems

-A bit hard to notice on many maps

Murkgoblin:

XzsAm3.jpg

-This one also moves like an NPC in your party. It has its heavy goodie bag on its back, and it shows in its movements.

-For some bizarre reason, I usually have some crazy luck when I play with this pet, perhaps because it's a goblin itself, hehe

-The Blizzcon ticket is too prominent and tall, and this goblin is too greenish dark, which makes it a bit hard to see

The Hell Horse Pierce:

yU78KD.jpg

t73NIU.jpg

-This one gallops beautifully. I never get tired of watching it running along. It looks natural

-It's a really beautiful mini horse

-Against some bluish backgrounds, it can disappear a bit, but otherwise it's big enough and easy to see

The Bumble

1lsSgt.jpg

-Sure, the movement is a bit shoulder-janky, but it's the biggest pet I have, so it fits the bill

-Super-easy to see and appreciate. Despite its bulky size, it rarely ever gets caught in other hitboxes

-You can never go wrong with this one, except perhaps in the Barbarian territories

The Murkomancer

hS48wJ.jpg

PTdS3p.jpg

-It's very easy to see, despite its small stature and size (My pictures don't do it justice. It is easier to see than this, I promise)

-Its movements are still natural and super-cute, just like its eyes and Murloc-fins (When it runs, it's like one of the cartoon figures in animated Snoopy)

-It picks up loot like no other pet (perhaps bar the Starship)

-It's my winner so far

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Guild Wars 2... I love the desert maps. Well, most of them anyway. The Elon river valley and estuary area is gorgeous in-game. My little Asura engineer gliding upstream on his skimmer mount (effectively a "hovercraft")

2i6ucZF.jpg

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Mrs Fortune smiled at me this evening! Within minutes, I ran into two menagerie goblins, so I have now had the opportunity to take two more pets for a spin:

Phantom Hannah:

TdZ6yI.jpg

ePNkyH.jpg

-It has this disproportional left arm movement swiping over and over, like certain enemy ghosts, and this repeats itself in a short loop that got under my skin pretty quickly

-It hovers pretty neatly, but it's hard to make out most of the time. You got those brass shoulder pads and an odd headpiece tagging along, crowning a blue glowing torn sheet, which is unassuming

-It's slightly better than the Malfeasant Ghost, but that's just by a hair!

The One That Can't Be Mentioned:

iweeAq.jpg

Djx5Tv.jpg

-Well, it's a cow, but it's like one hundred times better than the Darkening of Tristam cow, the Cow Queen!

-Yet another pet that moves like an NPC, and it moves almost the same as the Lady Sheep pet.

-Instead of charging with a sword, it's sorta rallying my character by waving her weird spear

-It's easier to see and even more colourful, literally and figuratively, than the Lady Sheep

-Personally, I rank this, currently, as my no 4, just after the very neat Pierce Horsey

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I have acquired two new pet acquaintances, and they are at both ends of my appreciation spectrum!

The first new one is Charlotte the spider:

oD91fU.jpg

J3grFG.jpg

-It moves just as bad as the Mini-Azmodan pet

-And it gets stuck everywhere, and it also has a problem of keeping up, especially when I teleport.

-It's a spider. Blargh! But it looks good in all its arachnid grandeur, even though its dark colour makes it hard to see, despite its shimmering outline

-I'd rate this just below mini-Azmodan on my previous list

The second new one is Lamb, the eager squire boy:

FEPh85.jpg

Here you see Lamb landing the killing blow onto Malthael at Tier XIII. Not bad, my son! Not bad at all, says Templar Dad.

qL8ATf.jpg

-This is one of those NPC-like pets, and it's been competently programmed

-It moves better than the Cow Queen and the Lady Sheep, and it has both of their best moves: swinging the weapon, rallying with the weapon raised

-It looks beautiful on all maps, and adapts well to all lightning.

-Lamb's relatively impressive stature makes him pretty easy to see

-He runs and keeps up brilliantly, and picks up stuff decently (not like Murkomancer or the Starcraft spaceship, but still)

-I love that I get to have a little nuclear family rocking the rifts like this.

-I rate Lamb as the best pet out of all those I have at this moment in time! :)

• Like 1

@IndiraLightfoot - half formed golem still my favorite. The tiny calf-cow runs just fine on my ps4 version. I mean it looks a little funny because its 4 legs move at comical keystone kop speed but it looks/feels smooth. I wonder if that's a 30ish fps vs. pc-higher fps thing.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just achieved Guardian during this D3 season (#16), and I had to check, but it's actually the first time I ever gone all the way. I've done seasons up until the stash tab reward and then stopped liek 3 times, so this tab actually made it so that I have 10 tabs in all. Very sweet! :)

I've had some frustrations, obviously, but overall D3 2019 is still lots of fun, viewed as a time-killing machine. Perfect escape when RL issues are a bit too intrusive for my liking.

I've ran three different wizard builds, all of them royal grandeur dependent in various ways. But my last build, a pretty standard fire meteor Tal Rasha variant, will work nicely with a full set as well when the season ends.

There were other firsts as well. I managed to reach lvl 80 Greater Rifts and beyond.

P6rLmF.jpg

Also, when I reached lvl 70 GR, I got my first primal ancient item ever, a semi-decent helm.

And my second primal ancient, my first "natural" primal drop - it happened at Greed's Vault tier XIII, and, amazingly, it was one of the items I actually had on my build. Just wow!

QGtwbc.jpg

As for the Conquests, I managed to solo the 20 min Tier X All Bosses except Vidian in-game thanks to my eternally teleporting wand set-up, but yeah, it was tight. I had 2 minutes to spare, and it was third time's the charm.

One conquest more was the last thing to do on my Guardian chore list, and I picked Tier X Nephalem rift in 2 min, since my very fast wizard build had managed a tier XIII in 3 minutes, I even got some achievement for it being 3 minutes. Still, after hours of trying it solo, I just didn't have any perfect maps, and when I did, I was always 40 seconds short. That meant I had to enter the multiplayer jungle. I lurked in T10 rifts, played for several hours, until I got into a group with one of those super-fast Demon Hunters, which runs far ahead of everybody else, even my teleporting Wizard, and then just blast bolt barrages.

XAZTDi.jpg

So, now I get to flaunt a Guardian Season 16 Portrait Frame:

ifzW3e.jpg

And yep, I'm still mad about the boy (Lamb), as my pet...

Perhaps there are differences between PS4 and PC in various ways when it comes to animation, framerates, etc. That would affect my view on the various pets quite a bit.

A bit of background story for the (Guild Wars 2) pictures...

The nation of Orr was once a significant human realm. The Six (human gods) lived there until they departed the world.

Left to their own devices, humans succumbed to constant internal wars and weakened themselves, so when the Charr wiped out the realm of Ascalon and headed towards Orr, the Orrians despaired and a Vizier Khilbron did a big no-no. He used one of the artifacts left behind by the six and let's just say it backfired spectacularly. Cutting a lot of stuff about who manipulated events that lead to it all. Suffice to say, the cataclysmic release of magic not only wiped out the Charr High Legions, it literally caused Orr to be swallowed by the sea and the Island realm was now part of the sea floor. Much later, the Elder Dragon, Zhaitan used similarly powerful magic to tear Orr from the sea floor and raise it, building it's lair in the ruins and commanding the hordes now undead inhabitants. it's part the reason why this area looks like it sort of belongs on the bottom of the sea.

hzp4noo.jpg

When Orr was raised, the resulting Tsunami destroyed the human capital of Kryta and the humans built a new one, somewhere far away from the coast, calling it 'Divinitys Reach'. Thrifty refugees from multiple races rebuilt in the ruins of the old city and created a new free city which is sort of the de facto capital of the world, where all races meet and ply their trade. The 5 playable races have a local capital and a shortcut gateway to this city, Lions Arch.

Anyway, Orr is still a comparatively dark and gloomy place with undead of all sizes and shapes haunting the place

uYjrKCO.jpg

Just my necromancer girl trying to strike a suitably heroic posture, fiddling around with camera angles to use the light (which isn't sunlight, just an eerie glow from a magical source)

I7tF9WY.jpg

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein