RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - BATTLE ROYALE

Like someone on that reddit thread said, she probably wasn't fired over this, but a million other things, because apparently she is hard to work with. Other than that, meh, who cares.

/edit: Apparently I care enough to read more about it. Heh, same person one year ago:

DhkUfbuW0AI-G7F.jpg

Hope she still approves.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

lol, just came across this related thread https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/8wxmyl/randy_pitchford_of_gearbox_comments_on_arenanet/

Whatsherface and Otherdude got fired from Arenanet. She for behaving like an idiot on social media. He for seeing her do so and decide that it was an awesome idea and jumping in to also behave like an idiot.

I dunno what she did wrong, nothing wrong with hating your customers. Gamers are useful trash to be exploited, after all

This reads like sarcasm, but it's true planty of gamers are awful, she's no different. She's amongst her ilk and it caught up with her apparently.

w5TRXqt.jpg

The other guy she's responding to seems like he warrants it. It tugged at his heart strings, lol.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

lol, just came across this related thread https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/8wxmyl/randy_pitchford_of_gearbox_comments_on_arenanet/

Whatsherface and Otherdude got fired from Arenanet. She for behaving like an idiot on social media. He for seeing her do so and decide that it was an awesome idea and jumping in to also behave like an idiot.

I dunno what she did wrong, nothing wrong with hating your customers. Gamers are useful trash to be exploited, after all

This reads like sarcasm, but it's true planty of gamers are awful, she's no different. She's amongst her ilk and it caught up with her apparently.

w5TRXqt.jpg

The other guy she's responding to seems like he warrants it. It tugged at his heart strings, lol.

Or is a perfect example of how to expose bullies, you just let them smell weakness.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

w5TRXqt.jpg

Or is a perfect example of how to expose bullies, you just let them smell weakness.

Perhaps, but I find the outrage a bit hollow given how the gaming community acts like trash especially in MMO games.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hurlshot, the quote about the movie is old. Just posted to show she always was like that. She got fired after starting a war on her Twitter insulting a GW2 Streamer. A one sided war as she was the one doing the fighting.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

From how she acts on social media I wouldn't be surprised if she was no fun to work with and the company snatched the opportunity to be rid of her

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Man, her twitter is a goldmine of cringe. Pretty sure she would have been fired from her job anyway sooner or later.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

You do have to dress it up in MBA language and be in management to actually say that though, it's bad PR if you make it obvious and mere devs are not far enough up the food chain to get away with it.

w5TRXqt.jpg

One person hating Infinity War, one person loving it. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

• Like 1

Man, her twitter is a goldmine of cringe. Pretty sure she would have been fired from her job anyway sooner or later.

Pretty sure your manfeels are just hurt that a strong independent woman showed that nobody owns her!

And I thought I had poor impulse control.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Pretty sure your manfeels are just hurt that a strong independent woman showed that nobody owns her!

And I thought I had poor impulse control.

Relevant to that tweet, the short of it is that she got her account verified because of her employment therefore everything in it pertains to her career.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hey, I sometimes watch that guy's cardboard crack channel. Guess he's branching out into general political commentary now? One might think he would have his hands full with WotC...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Is your social media account/presence formed around your employment or is it formed around your private social life within the public sphere? When someone represents others, those others tend to want their representative to be accountable. She was a loose operative, leveraged her position, crossed some lines, didn't have the sway nor tact to have a "tenured" position within her company. Maybe they should have reeled her in, but maybe termination was their best solution to end her rogue representation.

She writes: "The attempts of fans to exert ownership over our personal lives and times are something I am hardcore about stopping. You don't own me, and I don't owe you."

Which I totally agree with. In the age of social media I think people need to be ever more careful not to entangle their personal lives with the purviews of their work-place, less they find their personal lives beholden to their employer, or even worst the customers/fans that their employer is beholden to. She didn't build her presence to deliver the freedom she desired, she built it represent on behalf of those who did not even nominate her. There lies the crux of her problem. Having a tendency to engage vitriol with your own self-righteous flavor (perhaps even at times justified) is merely the spark the burns down the web she helped spin. I think there is a lesson in here for all professionals who need not learn the hard way.

• Like 3

The sadest thing is, that all the low budget RPGs, which SE released last 3 years are much better games than FFXV :’( Same will be true also for Octopath Traveler...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I guess it's not all that good for hardcore jrpg fans but for someone like me who hasn't been much into jrpg at all, it will be definitely fun in some ways. What I like about Octopath Traveler is the mood and the visuals. The gameplay doesn't seem to be all that bad either.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Well TennoCon (Warframe conference) was this weekend, given that we have quite a few players here on the forums:

Fortuna + Railjack reveal:

They also teased a third update, but linking anything about that would contain massive spoilers (assuming one cares about the lore in a game such as Warframe) if one didn't play through all of the quests yet. It's called "The New War".

Sooo, massive spoilers ahead in this teaser (and arguably even in the thumbnail):

Edited by marelooke

I liked FFXII but most of the high budget JRPGs seemed to be diverging from many of their qualities which were my favorites. With much of the low and middle-budget titles devolving into things that I find totally unappealing, (waifu-stuff, Xenoblade, Tales.) Dragon Quest XI and the Ni No Kuni games both look solid, I should explore those.

I've found the games that do keep to the heart of what I enjoy are games like:

The 4 Heroes of Light

Radiant Historia (Probably the last rpg that really captivated me on a deep level.)

Bravely Default

I Am Setsuna

The Mario & Luigi RPGs

Octopath Traveler seems to continue that trend of picking up the heart of the old style while progressing it forward.

New Prey update.

We're so excited to release the first free update to Prey: Mooncrash, which is live now! Enjoy spicing up your operators with The Elder Scrolls or The Evil Within skins, destroy Typhon with engraved weapons, and dress up your mimic pets in a striped top hat or a bamboo hat!

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I wanted! :>
  • Like 3

Is your social media account/presence formed around your employment or is it formed around your private social life within the public sphere? When someone represents others, those others tend to want their representative to be accountable. She was a loose operative, leveraged her position, crossed some lines, didn't have the sway nor tact to have a "tenured" position within her company. Maybe they should have reeled her in, but maybe termination was their best solution to end her rogue representation.

She writes: "The attempts of fans to exert ownership over our personal lives and times are something I am hardcore about stopping. You don't own me, and I don't owe you."

Which I totally agree with. In the age of social media I think people need to be ever more careful not to entangle their personal lives with the purviews of their work-place, less they find their personal lives beholden to their employer, or even worst the customers/fans that their employer is beholden to. She didn't build her presence to deliver the freedom she desired, she built it represent on behalf of those who did not even nominate her. There lies the crux of her problem. Having a tendency to engage vitriol with your own self-righteous flavor (perhaps even at times justified) is merely the spark the burns down the web she helped spin. I think there is a lesson in here for all professionals who need not learn the hard way.

This story, in a way, reminds me of that recent one of the lawyer who went on a rant that was recorded and now faces inquiry into by NY's disciplinary committee.  Sometimes whether you like it or not you are your organizations representative in a public space (something I've had told to me directly by leadership in some jobs I've had - including one where I was told if I was asked questions about our organization outside of the office - say in the grocery aisle - I was expected to answer them to the best of my capability and customer service).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bringing this thread back to sanity with a news post.... Here you guys go :)

^One of the better rpg's of the year. You'd think I'm joking til you actually play it and see its a fine mixture of Torchlight and Pikmin mechanics :)

Edit:

Yes, it's a movie game with positive reviews!

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

New Prey update.

We're so excited to release the first free update to Prey: Mooncrash, which is live now! Enjoy spicing up your operators with The Elder Scrolls or The Evil Within skins, destroy Typhon with engraved weapons, and dress up your mimic pets in a striped top hat or a bamboo hat!

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I wanted! :>

Ah, they're preparing for the multiplayer DLC monetization, I see...

I'm not sure if you saw the conversation that got her fired, because various "journalists" (eg. RPS, Kotaku and some other place) decided to entirely mischaracterize what happened. Not sure why they'd nuke their own credibility like that, since everything that happened is out in the open as she didn't even try to attempt to salvage the situation by deleting her tweets.

If you tweet about something (*anything*) you should expect people to respond, it's a public platform. You should especially expect Youtubers for the game company you work for  to respond if you add to an AMA about said game that you did earlier. This makes what you say implicitly about your job (whether you are on the clock or not): you have made yourself known as an employee of that company, talking about work related stuff. Ergo: you represent your employer now.

Deroir (the youtuber that responded) was about as polite as you humanly can be, whether what he actually said held any water is another thing, but she immediately went on the offensive in a very rude way and just got ruder and ruder while the people involved and calling her out on her behaviour stayed extremely polite (hard to believe maybe, as this is the internet). She also started playing the "woman in tech" card for absolutely no reason at all.

If I behaved publicly like that towards my employers' customers I'd get fired as well. Hell, I'd have been fired after I publicly celebrated someone's death (she was one of those people celebrating John Bain's passing, which makes the sad "journalism" of RPS, Kotaku and the likes even more depressing).

Given how she acted I wouldnt'be surprised if she'd had multiple warnings from HR to keep her behaviour in check. Hell, with her history it might have been a prerequisite for ArenaNet hiring her in the first place.

It seems that many people, including some media, expect her to get a pass because she's "a strong advocate for inclusiveness", apparently, in their minds, that is more important than, you know, being a decent human being.

EDIT:

Good video on the topic by YongYea:

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

This story, in a way, reminds me of that recent one of the lawyer who went on a rant that was recorded and now faces inquiry into by NY's disciplinary committee.  Sometimes whether you like it or not you are your organizations representative in a public space (something I've had told to me directly by leadership in some jobs I've had - including one where I was told if I was asked questions about our organization outside of the office - say in the grocery aisle - I was expected to answer them to the best of my capability and customer service).

Would responding with NYOFB be appropriate ?

I remember one of our fearless leaders waxing nostalgic about a time when he was asked a question in a grocery store and ended up fielding questions there for some time and how it was good public relations.  So not being polite and answering questions wasn't an option.  Other leaders would have expected you to be polite and refer them to your office hours.

And in all instances, they'd have wanted politeness.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man