Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD & MECHANICS 101] Let's learn with Umezawa! (Streetfighter/Wael)

class build build priest rogue zealot wael streetfighter mechanics 1.2

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There's another pet (forgot the name, I think it's a dog) that does the same as Cosmo - without the gunner buff. So no need to console around. Maybe somebody else knows the name of the pet. I found it pretty early but didn't use it because I had Cosmo. Of curse - I mean a piggy with a hat - come on! :lol:

Edit: Kaylon you ninja!

Then there must be a third one because I found the one I was takling about somewhere else. I know because I haven't been to Queen's Berth in this playthrough yet. And I also think it didn't heal on kill but did something else. Or my memory is messed up completely and I mix up two pets or so. I'll try to find it and report... when I find the time to load up the game.

But yes: you don't need Cosmo for this.

Actually it was indeed Abraham. I confused Queen's Berth with Serpent's Crown. :oops:

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dual wielding blunderbuss/melee is great for early game, and mad flavorful. I kept wishing that full attacks let me point-blank shot with my gun so I could keep using it later on. I never thought about using sparkcrackers to trigger Heating Up.

This is definitely more than just a class guide, great info dump on mechanics.

Something I forgot to mention in the guide but is really relevant:

if you do a Riposte while holding a Blunderbuss(Powder Burns)/melee, you will actually trigger the Powder Burns modal effect (both the aoe burn damage and the distraction on yourself) as part of the full attack Riposte, even though you don't appear to trigger the actual base blunderbuss attack.

This is probably a bug that will one day get fixed, but it does mean if for some reason you're surrounded but not getting flanked (can happen in odd situations), giving yourself a high deflection and equipping your blunderbuss/melee (with powder burns) is another way to get near-100% uptime on your streetfighter special.

In general though I would still prefer equipping two real melee weapons if you don't need the additional help with uptime because the Powder Burns damage tends to be really really crappy (mostly due to perpetual underpenetration) compared to a riposte with two great melee weapons.

Edited by thelee, 24 June 2018 - 02:18 PM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 537 posts
People calling magic cards that weren't around when I played it nostalgic makes me feel old.
  • thelee and Franknstein like this

Yougottawanna

Yougottawanna

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I made a custom NPC with a similar build, and thought I'd mentioned something that very much helps me: Triumph of the Crusaders. Basically with the buff active, you get healed to full every time you down an enemy, and with this build you chunk things so fast that it's a big help to survivability. Also you don't have to be in the AoE to get the heal like the text kind of makes it seem. Assuming the buff hasn't run out, you'll get the heal no matter where you are. It's a long one too, 60 secs base.

Luvsucklonewolf

Luvsucklonewolf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts

There's another pet (forgot the name, I think it's a dog) that does the same as Cosmo - without the gunner buff. So no need to console around. Maybe somebody else knows the name of the pet. I found it pretty early but didn't use it because I had Cosmo. Of curse - I mean a piggy with a hat - come on! :lol:

Edit: Kaylon you ninja!

Then there must be a third one because I found the one I was takling about somewhere else. I know because I haven't been to Queen's Berth in this playthrough yet. And I also think it didn't heal on kill but did something else. Or my memory is messed up completely and I mix up two pets or so. I'll try to find it and report... when I find the time to load up the game.

But yes: you don't need Cosmo for this.

I think the dog’s name is Abraham
Found it on rooftop of Luminous Adra Mill in Queen’s Berth, Neketaka,
Sorry, just saw that the above post already answer this question .

Edited by Luvsucklonewolf, 24 June 2018 - 07:37 PM.

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

People calling magic cards that weren't around when I played it nostalgic makes me feel old.

When I started writing this and was trying to find a picture of Umezawa's Jitte, what made me feel old was realizing that a set that still felt relatively recent to me was actually literally more than a decade old.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Miscreant's Leather comes with a special enchantment that reduces recovery time by -10%. Theoretically, this was supposed to have the net effect of mitigating a majority(*) of the of the +20% light armor recovery time. However, with the cosmo pirate pig, your base armor recovery time penalty is +7%, which means the -10% recovery time enchantment makes wearing Miscreant's Leather actually faster than wearing any +0% recovery time clothing.

Are you sure that it's not capped? Even in PoE you couldn't reduce armor penalty below zero so that it (theoretically) would become a speed bonus.

Arddv

Arddv

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts

Armor penalty reduction is capped, but -% recovery enchatments do not affect armor penalty, but instead are independant modifiers that influence recovery on their own.

• Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12985 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeees - but Cutthoat Cosmo is lowering your armor penalty - it's not giving you an recovery bonus, am I right?

Ach wait - now I got it. Cosmo reduces armor penalty so that the leather's enchantment is higher than your actual armor penalty. I made a mistake and thought that the enchantment of the leather was also lowering recovery penalty (like Armored Grace) instead of giving you an actual recovery bonus. :oops:

Ok, then what's the math when you use the Devil of Caroc's Breastplate? If I recall correctly it has a 20% recovery bonus but has +40% penalty. Cosmo reduces the penalty of thicker armors by a greater margin than light ones'...? 

Edited by Boeroer, 25 June 2018 - 12:43 AM.

Haplok

Haplok

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that's 10% Recovery bonus on DoC BP post 1.1. Armor penalty for breastplates was.. 35?

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 537 posts

When I started writing this and was trying to find a picture of Umezawa's Jitte, what made me feel old was realizing that a set that still felt relatively recent to me was actually literally more than a decade old.

It's a bit off topic, but I started playing with Unlimited edition. Most of my time was spend with revised. I played a little with 4th edition, but stopped before 5th. I still have all my cards, also got some beta cards.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5192 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Going by memory, DoC with Armored Grace and Cutthroat Cosmo has 6% recovery penalty left.

Articulated was nerfed from 20% to 10% which I’m so NOT bitter about.
  • Haplok likes this

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's a bit off topic, but I started playing with Unlimited edition. Most of my time was spend with revised. I played a little with 4th edition, but stopped before 5th. I still have all my cards, also got some beta cards.

So I'm guessing at this point your cards are like your retirement plan? :)

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Miscreant's Leather comes with a special enchantment that reduces recovery time by -10%. Theoretically, this was supposed to have the net effect of mitigating a majority(*) of the of the +20% light armor recovery time. However, with the cosmo pirate pig, your base armor recovery time penalty is +7%, which means the -10% recovery time enchantment makes wearing Miscreant's Leather actually faster than wearing any +0% recovery time clothing.

Are you sure that it's not capped? Even in PoE you couldn't reduce armor penalty below zero so that it (theoretically) would become a speed bonus.

Arddv got to the answer before me. AFAICT anything that actually reduces armor penalty itself actually modifies the armor recovery time penalty you see on recovery time tooltips. For Miscreant's Leather (and DoC iirc, and there's another light armor that has a -5% recovery time bonus iirc) the recovery time bonus is a separate adjustment.

You could also verify this by equipping Miscreants Leather with a cosmo and then comparing with like a Robe. Your recovery time is definitely lower with the miscreants+cosmo than with simple robe.

Edited by thelee, 25 June 2018 - 08:02 AM.

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I guess the best way to check it would be to bomb your own party members, to see if the damage from the log and the missing HP on the target are the same. After seeing how Recall Agony works, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't shown in log at all.

So I did these test and can verify that this is actually just a display bug in the combat log. Even though explosives damage is marked as "(Deathblows)" in the combat log, there is no extra damage from Deathblows, whether applied invisibly to the base damage (like power level/explosives skill scaling) or as a hidden extra effect not in the combat log (like Recall Agony).

On the plus side, while testing this, I did discover that weapon procs are buffed by sneak attack/deathblows. I updated the guide to reflect these changes. Thanks for drawing attention to the explosives/deathblows interaction to me! I tried to make sure everything I wrote in the guide was backed up by real-world tests, and the explosives/deathblows was one of those things where I just saw it in the combat log and assumed it was working the way it said. Oh well, you know what they say when you assume...

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1403 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

omg is this a walkthrough? but anyway props to you in putting so much effort in writing this

Yougottawanna

Yougottawanna

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I like the flavor of dual wielding melee/blunderbuss, but I can't always figure out how you get the blunderbuss to reload when it's in your offhand until you actually start to shoot again. Like I'll melee until powder burns wears off, then what I'd like to do is use escape, reload the blunderbuss, shoot, then go back to melee. But I escape and stand still and the blunderbuss won't actually start reloading until I try to shoot and the enemy is in range again. I'm using a lone blunderbuss as a weapon switch right now - switching to that will start the reload even if no enemies are nearby, but that means I have to wait for the weapon switch and then switch back to have melee again. Is there any way to tell my character "reload your gun now"?

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the flavor of dual wielding melee/blunderbuss, but I can't always figure out how you get the blunderbuss to reload when it's in your offhand until you actually start to shoot again. Like I'll melee until powder burns wears off, then what I'd like to do is use escape, reload the blunderbuss, shoot, then go back to melee. But I escape and stand still and the blunderbuss won't actually start reloading until I try to shoot and the enemy is in range again. I'm using a lone blunderbuss as a weapon switch right now - switching to that will start the reload even if no enemies are nearby, but that means I have to wait for the weapon switch and then switch back to have melee again. Is there any way to tell my character "reload your gun now"?

yeah, i don't think there's a way other than "try to shoot again", which means telling your character to attack someone at range.

what you would do in this situation is.

1. blunderbuss.

2. run into melee for a a bit

3. either escape or run away

4. immediately tell your character to attack a target

5. hopefully you are already in range to start shooting again. your character will instead start reloading. rinse and repeat.

once you get the hang of it, you can eyeball the appropriate distance to trigger a ranged attack at step #4 and you can position yourself correctly at #3.

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've partially updated this guide for 1.2.

Unfortunately the consumables changes for 1.2 has hit this build a bit, as Potion of Deftness, Deadeye, and Potion of Impediment have all gotten weaker by large margins, and Sparkcrackers by a smaller margin.

Most of the 1.2 changes this build will take in stride, thanks in part to Salvation of Time (even the nerfed 30% chance of interrupt from Potion of Impediment when you're attacking almost every second is still good), but it does mean that there may be a different optimal stat distribution (e.g. take away the 7 points of resolve and give it to perception). I'll fully update the guide eventually (this is still the most fun I've had with a build), but I'm going to wait for a little bit longer for further balance changes before going with another run of this build.

Also, SORRY GUYS. I actually tweeted at Josh Sawyer shortly after 1.1 that they should consider nerfing potion of impediment, and he liked my tweet, so I feel like I am partially responsible for the consumables nerf.

Edited by thelee, 03 July 2018 - 11:52 AM.

knownastherat

knownastherat

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 763 posts

I am sorry but .. lol .. though don't worry about it, there is enough self-appointed balancers around here. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class build, build, priest, rogue, zealot, wael, streetfighter, mechanics, 1.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users