Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Large Shields

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

gristlethick

gristlethick

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

Probably the worst design in the game. It is required that you have a character with a large shield. Because you had decided that it should be given a modal ability that reduces incoming ranged damaged by 50%.

50%. Not 20, not 30 but a flat 50% reduction. What?

And on another note anyone using a large shield can be expected to hit one in three hundred attacks in POTD. Anyone equipped with a large shield and heavy armor just takes up a slot in the party that just... sits there really. It's not fun at all. If you take this into account it doesn't really feel like you have 5 full party members. You have that thing that sits there and then you have 4 more characters.

It further punishes the fact that the party cap is stuck at 5. I can't help but feel any party I make just feels... barely short of being complete.

wRAR

wRAR

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Huh?

• Wormerine likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2448 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, yeah if you boose a character with heavy heavy defence (heaviest armour and largest shield) he gains major defence boost sacrificing offensive capabilities. If you want a more offecive team use lighter equipment. If you want a tanky passive tank then put as much armor on him as you want. If there weren't major drawback to heavy shield and armor then why wouldnt you wear it?

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If anything sword & shield is he least attractive choice in the game, while dual wielding ninjas are le best. You can make a good tank by just slapping some super armor and items and heals on him and do fine.

Zoso der Goldene

Zoso der Goldene

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Probably the worst design in the game. It is required that you have a character with a large shield. Because you had decided that it should be given a modal ability that reduces incoming ranged damaged by 50%.

50%. Not 20, not 30 but a flat 50% reduction. What?

And on another note anyone using a large shield can be expected to hit one in three hundred attacks in POTD. Anyone equipped with a large shield and heavy armor just takes up a slot in the party that just... sits there really. It's not fun at all. If you take this into account it doesn't really feel like you have 5 full party members. You have that thing that sits there and then you have 4 more characters.

It further punishes the fact that the party cap is stuck at 5. I can't help but feel any party I make just feels... barely short of being complete.

Why not play an Assassin (for the +25 Accuracy boost from Stealth) with Rapier (for the +20 Accuracy Modal) and have a Priest add another +20 Accuracy at the start of combat and wear gloves of accuracy ...

Agreed, it will always be worse than without the Shield, but all is not lost, and it's always a trade off.

Purudaya

Purudaya

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 294 posts

You can easily run a shieldless party in Deadfire. You just trade defense for offense - enemies can't shoot you if they're prone/stunned/paralyzed/charmed/dead.

• Achilles and gGeorg like this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2869 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hmm. Not sure where this is coming from. No one in my party wears anything heavier than medium, nor does anyone carry a large shield (fighter pc carries a medium round and xoti carries a buckler).

Edited by Achilles, 14 June 2018 - 07:30 AM.

Undesirable

Undesirable

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
Build a tanky party that has lots of summons, buffs, heals and uses firearms

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11811 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Large Shield is awesome against anything that targets reflex - like Dragon Breaths for example. Combine it with other DR gear (like the helmet that reduces damage based on how many corpses lay around you) and you'll get very little damage even if your defenses are not the best.

It doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. There's a reason you have more than one weapon set.
  • gGeorg likes this

Ashen Rohk

Ashen Rohk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Steam:Twaddlefish
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There's also a shield that gives a universal +1 to armour rating called the Shining Bulwark.

I just wish we had the Barn Door from the first game that randomly proc'd a knock down.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts

Shields are so unnecessary with all the free stats you get. At level 20 end game vs last enemies in the game they miss you more than hit you even without equipment.

Undesirable

Undesirable

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts

Shields are so unnecessary with all the free stats you get. At level 20 end game vs last enemies in the game they miss you more than hit you even without equipment.

Good point, that means a Paladin \ Rogue dual-wielding with riposte can be powerful.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Should shields really reduce your acc though?

You get grand acc bonus for single weapon, damage (*theoretically*) and reach from 2 handers, and lol 2 weapons = double damage anime.

Seems like shields might not reduce your acc at all, but could have been balanced around different defences: buckler = better deflection + parry, medium shield = some extra saves or whatever, largest = best against ranged weapons but penalty to Stride.

Edited by Shadenuat, 14 June 2018 - 01:57 PM.

Erik Dirk

Erik Dirk

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts
Tuotilos palm. Does it still work with both dual wield and shield passives

Abel

Abel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Should shields really reduce your acc though?

You get grand acc bonus for single weapon, damage (*theoretically*) and reach from 2 handers, and lol 2 weapons = double damage anime.

Seems like shields might not reduce your acc at all, but could have been balanced around different defences: buckler = better deflection + parry, medium shield = some extra saves or whatever, largest = best against ranged weapons but penalty to Stride.

Wouldn't that make their usefulness too specific?

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Tuotilos palm. Does it still work with both dual wield and shield passives

Aka that dual wielding second pseudo weapon but worse.

Played it on a rogue illusionist with counter attack passive and bonuses to deflection and 20 resolve. Nothing special. Nearly not as good damage as 2 weapons, and nothing compared to survivability of a fighter or paladin.

Edited by Shadenuat, 14 June 2018 - 02:05 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11811 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I just wish we had the Barn Door from the first game that randomly proc'd a knock down.

The Larder Door only has Bash - which is a low dmg offhand attack without any special effect that does not profit from dual wield speed bonus nor Two Weapon Style. It actually reduces your auto attacks' dps.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1587 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Larder Door only has Bash - which is a low dmg offhand attack without any special effect that does not profit from dual wield speed bonus nor Two Weapon Style. It actually reduces your auto attacks' dps.

but looked cool while you were doing it ;)

I've got one large shield on one character, a medium on another, and the rest of the party have both hands on a weapon.  Never really noticed, but the one with the large shield is a druid and spends more time casting spells.

mrscojangles

mrscojangles

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Personally I'd say medium shields seem to be the better option for tank characters, since they're generally taking more damage from melee while the ranged enemies are more likely to be going after your back lines or squishier characters. I can see swapping around to a large shield if you know the enemies have specific reflex save spells that are mashing you, but for general usage I'd argue medium shield is the better option for tanks. Can't speak for non tanks as the accuracy loss has never been worth it for me on dps characters, though I could see the large shield modal being nice to situationally swap on with a heal/buff char, when you are casting spells that don't target the enemy.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1492 posts

Personally I'd say medium shields seem to be the better option for tank characters, since they're generally taking more damage from melee while the ranged enemies are more likely to be going after your back lines or squishier characters. I can see swapping around to a large shield if you know the enemies have specific reflex save spells that are mashing you, but for general usage I'd argue medium shield is the better option for tanks. Can't speak for non tanks as the accuracy loss has never been worth it for me on dps characters, though I could see the large shield modal being nice to situationally swap on with a heal/buff char, when you are casting spells that don't target the enemy.

I'm not sure why you'd say that medium shields are better for tanks than large ones.  More deflection seems better to me for a tank, i.e. a character who isn't really expected to do a lot of damage, but is expected to hold the front line.  It seems like a medium shield would be more for a melee character who you are expecting to be more offensive in nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users