Everything posted by rjshae
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
-
Knocking on NPCs Door
I agree with the OT, and that would actually be a good way to make a settlement seem more lived-in without necessarily detailing every single dwelling.
-
Criticism of the concept art shown so far
In contrast, that one really worked for me. I'd expect a barbarian to have unusual customs and garb, and she did. The fin ridge along the crest of her head also made her look a little less human. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because you wouldn't find her looks personally appealing, doesn't mean the concept wouldn't work well in this setting.
-
BG2 Vs NWN2 crafting
There should already be skilled crafts-people in the world that are integrated into the economy. In contrast, the party are skilled problem solvers. So I ask the question: what is gained by having the party perform the crafting? I could see a few potential cases: The party is far from civilization and needs to create ad hoc tools because of time pressure. (E.g. antidotes made through herbalism.) The formulae are frowned upon by the establishment, producing goods that can't be sold at a retail outlet. (E.g. banned drugs or toxins.) You possess a rare, exotic formulae and can use it to produce a few high value goods. The item to be crafted can only be used by you or a member of the party. (E.g. potions in The Witcher.) The craftsmen are members of monopolistic guilds that charge outrageous prices. But these are mostly corner cases. In almost all other instances, it's probably more efficient to use the skills of a master craftsman. After all, you want to spend your time adventuring, and leave the mundane tasks of building stuff to others. I'd like it if the game could satisfy that: allowing some unique minor crafting by the players, but leaving the rest to the craftsmen.
-
What will the real name be?
That which shall not be named...
-
Criticism of the concept art shown so far
I enjoyed the two concept drawings in the current update. They express emotion, action, and a certain cultural distinctiveness. The wizard is a little paunchy with heavy calves, but his face and unyielding posture speak of experience and determination. That all looks good to me. Likewise, the barbarian is leaner and he possesses a reckless drive and courage that would unnerve many a weaker foe. There's nothing to compare them against, so I can't quite get a sense of their size. But I'd guess they have normal human proportions, or perhaps even a little taller. It doesn't look like they spend much time in the water, so the origin of their flesh tones is a bit of a mystery. The only slight suggestion I'd have for improving the illustrations is to add a lot more shading. At present there is little gradation in brightness, so that makes them look flat and a little cartoonish. Then again it's just concept art, and the shadows will show up during rendering.
-
Sawyerism Distilled - an interview with Josh Sawyer at Iron Tower Studio
Can't pass conversation check; need to level up.
- Criticism of the concept art shown so far
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
-
Sawyerism Distilled - an interview with Josh Sawyer at Iron Tower Studio
I'm a little confused how you came to this conclusion. I don't think anyone said they would have no impact. Significant impact is relative anyhow. They should have an effect but not necessarily a measurable one. A conversation is not a math equation . You can't just say [NPC QUESTION] + [PC ANSWER] x [sPEECH SKILL] = [DESIRED SOLUTION]. Or rather, in most games you can, but you shouldn't be able to. Okay. But if I use a mechanistic skill to open a lock, I see the outcome. If I mix an alchemical brew together based on a skill, I also see the outcome. How will we see the outcome of a Diplomacy skill? If we don't, why would it matter whether we send forth Bruce the Brutish Barbarian to speak or Pete the Polite Paladin? In RL, if you never witness the outcome of your trained abilities, you'll never learn from your mistakes or discover the relative worth of your skill. In that case is it even a "skill"?
-
Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
Don't be absurd. Fallout 3 [of course] has nothing to do with the example; the imagery alone makes the idea laughable... the physics make it impossible even if they are strong enough to lift it. The video just demonstrates how silly it is. Hmm... you initially failed miserably to explain your point, then call me absurd for me for noting your logical fallacy? Ahh.... right. Carry on, nothing to see here...
-
Sawyerism Distilled - an interview with Josh Sawyer at Iron Tower Studio
If conversation skills will have no significant impact on dialogue branching, then I remain unclear why they are even needed. The only one that makes some sense is a barter skill. Maybe an intimidate/taunt skill for use in combat? As for the Health/Stamina split, perhaps armor will impact each one differently? If so, then you may be able to manage your health loss to some degree. I.e. against a typical weapon, maybe the damage ratio is 1:4 for light armor, or 1:8 for heavy armor.
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
-
What will the real name be?
Eternal Torment.
- A Realistic Social System in Project Eternity
-
Quality of 3d character models and animations
Shrug. Yeah I'm not sure either. It just struck me as probably being overlapping leather or cloth because it didn't have any horizontal joints for bending at the waist.
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
-
So, here's hoping for a Minsc like Character!
A thousand times this! :D It wouldn't even be necessary to require your character to develop an addiction, maybe there just is a special brand of mushrooms that Forton likes, that once you eat 'em allows you to see and interact with Boo (or a big smack in the head, or both as alternative methods). Or another talking hamster! Maybe it's not Boo, but a friend of his who happens to be looking for Boo; there could be a very interesting side quest involving reuniting the Hamster with Boo. Maybe the hamster is heartbroken after "Boo ran off with that brute of a ranger!" Or, the hamster could be actual, but you could only communicate with it once you've hit your head bad enough/eaten the special mushrooms, that would initiate the "Where is Boo?" Quest. To have a plausible context for this in the game world, there could be some sort of trickster god/spirit involved in the whole affair. The characters in The Princess Bride were amusing as well. That doesn't mean I'd expect them to be popping up in a different fantasy movie. Minsc and Boo played their role in the BG series. Now it's time to move on. We don't need to keep nerdishly reliving amusing media moments. I'm sure that PE will have its own set of unique characters with different stories to tell.
- Update #34: FIRST ART UPDATE
-
Worldmap and one big canvas
I can see your point, but switching the viewing angle like that would require mathematically scaling the axes for movement, 3D rendering, shadows, lighting, displaying effects, and so forth. I'm not clear how practical it will be for them to make frequent viewing angle changes like that, unless they build it into the game from the start. But they can probably get comparable results just by planning the layout appropriately and using their artistic skills.
-
The Mega Dungeon and consequence
You guys must be lots of fun at parties. If you don't like the idea of a non-essential mega-dungeon, don't play it. Or save it for the replay so you'll have something different to try.
-
Sawyerism Distilled - an interview with Josh Sawyer at Iron Tower Studio
Never underestimate this forum community's ability to overreact.