Everything posted by alanschu
-
Pics of your games: Reloaded
Oblivion certainly is a nice looking game. Even on the less than amazing settings (which doesn't surprise me either).
-
Obsidian doing PC/X360/PS3 RPG with Sega
Well, mid 90s seems a little early. That was still the end of the Genesis run. They still released the DC in 2000. The DC didn't do as well as they thought, so they dropped hardware support and became a software only company.
-
pet peeve
You must live in some exceptionally religious neighbourhood Hades. I've had my doorbell rung once in 15 years.
-
Obsidian doing PC/X360/PS3 RPG with Sega
Heh, nope. I liked their transition to publishing. I'm surprised you haven't seen one game that is Sega since the DC went kaput.
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
Sounds to me like it'd be more the game code than the card itself.
-
Oblivion First Impressions
Don't copy that floppy! <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Hahahaha. I didn't even watch it...but I remembered. Don't copy.....don't copy that floppy! IIRC, there's an old school picture of the old school NWN games with an interview with a programmer.
-
pet peeve
Irregardless annoys me too. I remember reading that it was actually removed at one point from some dictionaries, when some genius realized that it has zero difference in meaning from regardless.
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
Well, that's pretty much what we have. Though a graphics chip (for example) has an advantage in that it is geared directly for graphics, and won't suffer from being a general purpose processor. It's entire purpose is to perform the intense vector calculations, and can benefit from the nature of graphics programming by gearing the chip on the graphics card to be particularly strong at it. There can also be an advantage with respect to memory. The memory architecture of a main system is much more static. Graphics cards were able to implement DDR RAM, as well as widen the pipe (to 256 bit), as well as ramp up the speeds of the RAM, while system RAM has remainined relatively static. The graphics card also does not have to share its memory. This can be a double edged sword though, as unused video memory is not particularly usable (IIRC, I think Apple made a bit of a hack to get the graphics card to pick up some of the cycles for running Mac OS X, but I'm not 100% sure....it is not common though) by the rest of the system. Even then, it would lose much of its speed advantage as it would then have to go through the system bus (which may be fast enough with PCI-Express). I think decentralizing the threads helps from a cost aspect as well. People on a budget can more easily mix and match parts. Even with a multicore processor though, there's still something that brings the information together. The processors are just closer together :D
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
I wouldn't think they'd need to be working well with each other. It's just offloading instructions off of the CPU. The Aegis card will perform all of the expensive physics calculations so the CPU won't have to. This leaves the CPU free to do other work (like AI).
-
The Cowboys and T.O.
I'm sure he'll be inspirational.
-
NHL
Nope. Clearly you have zero understanding of sports psychology. Thanks for coming. Nope. It let him know that just because he had made it to the big leagues, it was no longer a free ride and he still had to bust his ass just to stay in the lineup. Both of which are exceptionally common among young athletes. Gretzky was benched for the second period of a game back in his WHA days. He was fired up and scored 3 goals in the third. To say that a benching means that they don't think the player is good is just incorrect.
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
Does anybody know exactly how unemployment insurance works? :ph34r: <{POST_SNAPBACK}> The central hub will point you to a processor that can answer that.
-
Oblivion First Impressions
Post carefully.
-
Oblivion First Impressions
I go to the first unread post and go from there.
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
Eye Candy? I suspect it will be as worthless as 3D accelerators and high end sound cards. EDIT: I didn't see you say NWN2 in there. It's much more likely that it will support it compared to the other two games you listed.
-
Oblivion First Impressions
Sorry. Must not have as much free time to spend on the boards as you do. Though I'll be sure to bring this up should you bring anything up in an "old" discussion.
- Bored.
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
Likely not at all. Just like how a 3D accelerator did nothing for Quake (until Carmack made GLQuake) when they first came out. The game has to have code to take advantage of it.
-
Dedicated Physics Processor, available now
Soon we will not have powerful CPUs, just a central hub that deals with all of the independent processors.
-
Oblivion First Impressions
To the off topicness, I really hope Vic is not metadigital. If there is one type of person that probably shouldn't have alternate accounts, it's a moderator. I also cringed when there were posts suggesting that Gabrielle was Dark Raven. Imagine if someone reports an alt for breaking forum rules, and the alt ends up "dealing with it" as a moderator as well.
-
Oblivion First Impressions
You should have paid more attention in your writing classes then.
-
The Cowboys and T.O.
Hahahahahahahaha.
-
NHL
It worked for Mark Messier. Even Moose credits it for being a decision that made him the player he became. Messier wasn't just benched though, he was dumped to the minors. This is one of the stupidest things I've read. You know that this statement is false.
-
More AO-rated gaming titles?
They're not going to sell. Curious why you feel there needs to be more sex games.
-
pet peeve
I typically associate inflammable to explosive now-a-days. I'm not sure about your critique of reiterate though. I can iterate over a series of problems using the same mathematical procedure, but I'm not doing the exact same thing. To reiterate would be to go over the series of problems an additional time. It could be that I interpret iterate to be a little different, as in CS iterators are pointers that cycle through a container data structure.