What You Did Today

Gorth

But a reserve on a car. A 2000 Acura Integra 

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/39990275.jpg

That (including cover) for 3500 bucks overall, with a loan from the Bank of Mom And Pop. I might do some minor modifications to it (A rear spoiler, a different air intake and that's about it...) once I have the money for that sort of thing (or the mechanical knowhow to do it myself)

The car I regretted giving up for my Volvo (back in 2014ish) was a 98 version.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I decided to listen to Bartimaeus and stop pining after that girl.

Then we ran into her with friends (who's adamant opinion was "you can do better, deserve better etc" and would roll eyes at the thought of her and I dating), and afterwards the very adamant friend apologised because they have now revised their opinion, having seen us talking and beaming like teenagers. Seriously, are friends allowed to do that? I thought they were 'sposed to be the voice of reason.

*Shakes head*

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I decided to listen to Bartimaeus and stop pining after that girl.

Then we ran into her with friends (who's adamant opinion was "you can do better, deserve better etc" and would roll eyes at the thought of her and I dating), and afterwards the very adamant friend apologised because they have now revised their opinion, having seen us talking and beaming like teenagers. Seriously, are friends allowed to do that? I thought they were 'sposed to be the voice of reason.

*Shakes head*

I'm kinda pining for a girl at the moment but the signals are mixed so I'm trying to be all c'est la vie about it  :sweat:

• Like 1

I'm kinda pining for a girl at the moment but the signals are mixed so I'm trying to be all c'est la vie about it  :sweat:

I'm pining for my boss, it's not awkward at all. >_>'

That (including cover) for 3500 bucks overall, with a loan from the Bank of Mom And Pop. I might do some minor modifications to it (A rear spoiler, a different air intake and that's about it...) once I have the money for that sort of thing (or the mechanical knowhow to do it myself)

You really like your Hondas, don't you? =)

How does it seem to be mechanically? I'd reckon it might've been driven hard, no bad smell from the engine ventilation? Coolant colour looks ok?

Why did you regret giving up your Volvo for one?

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I am pining for a donut. Yet the store is so far away.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You really like your Hondas, don't you? =)

How does it seem to be mechanically? I'd reckon it might've been driven hard, no bad smell from the engine ventilation? Coolant colour looks ok?

Why did you regret giving up your Volvo for one?

It's been driven by an old lady who kept all the records for everything. Still had the original window sticker.

And I regret giving up my 98 for the Volvo, not the other way around

• Like 1

It's been driven by an old lady who kept all the records for everything. Still had the original window sticker.

And I regret giving up my 98 for the Volvo, not the other way around

Ah, I blame that on being groggy, got some really nice pills for the back pain. But they are pretty heavy, not taking them again.

Good history then. A word of caution though, my car has been serviced in big auto-shops for it's entire lifetime, up until I took over ownership. And while it's good up until a point, they do take alot of shortcuts and also overtighten bolts. My oil drainage plug has been tightened so hard the threads in my oil pan has gone, same with one of the sparkplugs, they've propably used impact wrenches to tighten them. They do the service allright, but they try to speed things up too much.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

one of the kitten i had found a few months ago now is all grown and decided that my garden belongs to it.it's fiercely territorial and chased all its siblings and even its mother out. it now tries to scare me off it's property by hissing but it runs off and hides when i go near since it knows it can't fight with me. still, it never says no to any food i leave there... maybe sees it as a tribute 

• Like 3

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Watched Shadow World, a documentary about global weapons deals, pretty horrifying stuff. Nothing really new that I did'nt have some knowledge of before, except how ugly politicians are.

Currently watching Citizen Four, we'll see how that turns out.

Citizen Four was good, both of these documentaries are worth a watch, but Shadow World was definetly more informative for me than Citizen Four.

Edited by Azdeus

It was that time of year again... (dramatic pause)

People all over the country putting down there tools and stop working, gathering together in lunch rooms with their beer and snacks. Yes, it was the 156th Melbourne Cup. No, none of the horses I bought in the office sweepstake won anything. Ah well, next year is another race.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Woken up early by a panicked phonecall from my Mother who's in Wales with my Aunt, they've had a huge argument and Mum needs to come home.  I was totally prepared to drive there and pick her up but thankfully she's got a taxi instead.  Regardless I'm stressed out, Mum's health isn't good and this will undoubtedly lead to another pointless family rift  :unsure:

So. Again; Top of the Hops! ^^

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

And my new boss (well kinda, two levels between us) just told me today that I am not as trained as I should be for the position I am in. And that "If you transfer offices and you don't change much as a manager you probably aren't in the right place."

Never mind that I am the assistant rather than the actual boss, and thus any major shift in policy requires that it go through our branch manager, I was trained to operate in a tiny tiny region that had to do everything themselves, while here everything is "let airport handle it".

And oh look, Firestone and Avis both have positions open for manager level candidates in the region... should I apply...

And my new boss (well kinda, two levels between us) just told me today that I am not as trained as I should be for the position I am in. And that "If you transfer offices and you don't change much as a manager you probably aren't in the right place."

Never mind that I am the assistant rather than the actual boss, and thus any major shift in policy requires that it go through our branch manager, I was trained to operate in a tiny tiny region that had to do everything themselves, while here everything is "let airport handle it".

And oh look, Firestone and Avis both have positions open for manager level candidates in the region... should I apply...

That didn't sound like an encouraging conversation to me. Applying to Firestone or Avis would commit you to nothing. See what happens.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In education, the vice principals are the ones always trying to make changes and introduce new stuff because they need to prove they deserve to step up into the principal spot.  It sucks.  They also tend to come and go quickly.

Applied for Avis. Would be back at an airport but I think I'll work there better than in the off airport markets.

Went ice skating for the first time in 15 years. I will call it a success. I fell once, no broken bones or bruises. My feet are killing me, though. I got to use skates from one of the guys from our local hockey team, and boy did they not feel like the ones I used to wear. Hard as rock, they were. I got used to them, but for the first hour, I thought me feet would fall off.

Ohh, I really should go to the local rink sometime, it's been something like 10 years, but I used to love it - until bullies in the team got me tired of hockey.

• Like 1

Did a few things.

Since friends insisted I should show that girl I was (emphasis on the was) infatuated with that I was still interested, I did that. She seems to have gotten angry *shrug* send me an annoyed text later. I proof-read it, edited it, and send her back the corrected version. If you take the time to think what to type, then sit down and type the message, you really should take the time to see whether auto correct replaced words :facepalm: Which kinda made me realize how little I actually, you know, liked her as a person, and to what extend it was just this silly male need to win  :cat:

So I bought myself a White Dwarf magazine. Which I hadn't done in 17 years or so. Nice walk down memory lane.

And being down on memory lane, I noticed that an old friend (my crush from when I was 17) was online. She had disappeared from facebook for a long time. So, being down on memory lane (and having realized that the one thing I found attractive about the new girl was that she had her hair (scary when you ponder how come you like someone who so isn't your type and suddenly realize the similarities in looks not to most women you liked, but to the first woman you liked *shrug*)), I send a quick message saying "Hi! How have you been?"

And got a reply :) Married, two small kids, with very little free time due to those two kids - explaining her disappearance for the last few years I guess (Hurlshot is the kids expert on this forum). And apparently she had just been thinking about me last week, when she was in a local bookstore looking for something to read to the kids and trying to remember what my children's books were called.

I think that made my year. Or century. We haven't seen each other for 18-19 years. We only spoke again briefly on facebook over 8 years ago. But when her eldest reached the age of my target audience, she remembered the book I published after we last spoke. It's a silly thing, but when I started the whole writing children's books thing, one of the things I hoped for was that people that meant something to me once, but with whom I grew apart, might end up reading something I wrote to their kids.

I had hoped it would happen, but I didn't know how much it would actually mean to me. Enough to make a way too long post about it here instead of going to bed  :biggrin:

*happy melkathi going to bed*

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I ordered a microphone, going to give a podcast a try to add to my new website.  I was going to call it a Hopcast, but that is already taken.   >_<

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)