Vampire: The Masquerade made by Obsidian?

D3vN0ll

Vampire: The Masquerade made by Obsidian?

As long as they don't make it some sort of action/FPS schlock, I'm game.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

• 3 weeks later...

Paths are a definite no-no, partially because most of them sound like the ramblings of mustache-twirling villains and the bat**** insane, and partially because the game would need to introduce the brand to the wider gaming populace, which makes the Sabbat impractical for the designated protagonist faction. So I'd stick with Humanity (makes sense, our protagonist has to be a freshly-Embraced neonate anyway, because, again, we're trying to introduce the non-TT crowd to the brand, and freshly-Embraced neonates tend to stick to it unless prompted otherwise by outside forces).

Then again this is also the biggest reason why I don't like the whole "Camarilla vs Sabbat" setting of Masquerade which this is where the main flaw lies.

every game have some limitations, you cant expect all those aspects in game and still have same depth as they have in eg. Masquerade

Actually, I think I take all back I said and say that the Sabbat you're describing is all first edition.

So I would actually argue for the inclusion of the Sabbat being a protagonist faction since they got a lot of expansion and nuance in later editions which I would like to see a video game title reflect that and show the Sabbat that they're not just frenzied monsters as commonly portrayed.

Actually, I think I take all back I said and say that the Sabbat you're describing is all first edition.

So I would actually argue for the inclusion of the Sabbat being a protagonist faction since they got a lot of expansion and nuance in later editions which I would like to see a video game title reflect that and show the Sabbat that they're not just frenzied monsters as commonly portrayed.

Sure they did.

Doesn't change the fact that the Paths they follow still resemble the utterings of a comic book supervillain. Revised's big contribution to making them more grounded basically boiled down to "but most Sabbatites can't actually maintain high Path ratings".

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

What about Vampire: The Masquerade as Bioshock but as proper RPG genre?

Bioshock is more shooter with RPG elements.

What does that mean? Which one is it that you're going for, "proper RPG" or "shooter with RPG elements"?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Got the sense that it didn't sell as well as was hoped, at least in the beginning. Probably file it under "just enough", but not enough to encourage another game in the same vein. Last I saw they were planning what kind of game to do next, but also when Paradox acquired the World of Darkness and a Bloodlines sequel was mentioned, Brian was said to be interested in involvement if it were to happen.

• Like 1

What is Double Bear doing these days? How did Dead State do in the end? 

I completely forgot to pick that game up.  It was on my radar during development, but I'd just stopped tracking its progress at some point.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I got bored after waking up at the school basement.

And the graphics sucked.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Graphics isn't everything.

Dead State was awesome for the most part. Sadly, it was very noticeable that the development budget was tight.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I loved Mitsoda's work on VtM:B, especially the haunted hotel -probably the single best piece of level designed I've experienced in a crpg.

But in my opinion, the graphics and overall art in Dead State was abysmal. If they had gone with a different art design or even better, made it in the style of a Jeff Vogel game, it would have been much more palatable to me.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I loved Mitsoda's work on VtM:B, especially the haunted hotel -probably the single best piece of level designed I've experienced in a crpg.

I hated that level.  But that's more because I'm a wussy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

But in my opinion, the graphics and overall art in Dead State was abysmal. If they had gone with a different art design or even better, made it in the style of a Jeff Vogel game, it would have been much more palatable to me.

The Haunted Hotel was one of the best parts.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I hated that level. But that's more because I'm a wussy.

I have a love/hate with that level. I hate scary, but it was so well done...

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

First time round the haunted hotel was great, every following time a bit meh.

It's a very good location, but it relies a bit too much on the first-time surprise. That said, while I don't think it's the best RPG location ever or anything like that, I think I'd like to see another developer expand on the idea. Add a layer of nuance, pace the jump scares so that the core gameplay still shines between them, toy with the player's psychology some more.