Patch Beta Testing
From now on, we will be allowing folks to play our beta patches on Steam. This has a two-fold benefit:
- Players get new fixes a bit faster and can check out the new changes that will drop in the next patch.
- Developers get access to information about new bugs that may have slipped into the patch. This will reduce the number of hotfixes for future patches.
We will make a formal announcement to the community when we are going to put the latest patch up for beta testing. We are starting this process with the 1.04 patch.
- Right now we are only running this beta on Steam. The reason is that Steam provides a simple way to get folks into the beta. If any players know of any games that ran betas on GOG, please let me know so I can investigate.
- These patches may be unstable. We will be doing work on the patches and they haven't gone through a full QA cycle so unexpected things can happen. To be safe, I would avoid using any saved games that you do not want to get corrupted. If you do want to use those saved games, it is at your own risk.
- These patches may stay the same over the entire testing period, but that is unlikely. There might be frequent build changes, so expect to have to download multiple builds over a testing period.
More than likely you are going to find bugs in these patches and you will need a place to report them. You can report these bugs by going to our new forum for patch beta bugs and support. One thing I ask is that you only report bugs that are specific to the patch beta. If the bug happens in the currently patched base game you should report it in our regular tech support forum.
For information on how to report bugs, please look at this post.
So, how do I get started?
It's actually pretty easy.
- Completely quit out of the Steam client.
- Restart the Steam client and navigate to the Library tab.
- Right-click on the Pillars of Eternity entry and click on Properties.
- Navigate to the Betas tab in the Properties menu.
- Enter in the code "BETAPASSWORD" (remove quotes) and click on the Check Code button.
- Click on the dropdown list and select the "beta" branch. Once selected, close out of the Properties menu.
- You should notice that your Pillars of Eternity game will now have "[beta]" after it. This means that your game is in the beta branch. Steam should queue an update for this branch.
- You can now play the new beta branch of the game.
- If you would like to switch your branch back to normal follow steps 3 and 4 to get back to the Beta tab in the Properties menu, then choose "NONE" as your branch. This should revert you back to the release version of the game.
Thank you to all of the folks that decide to play the patch beta and help report issues. Your help is invaluable and we really appreciate your dedication.