New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

A patch came down the pipeline with an update.  Here's what's in the patch and what's planned for the next few patches:

Halloween Update: "The Pumpkin Patch": October 30th 

New "Liars' Night" themed area and placeables in the spirit of Halloween 
Cemetery DM location with over 35 new placeable objects and new player gear 
Screen nudge with mouse (toggled option) 
Players will now be able to move the camera by nudging the edges of the screen. The WASD keys and the middle mouse button will still work the way 
they currently do. 
Auto-heal at Adventurer's Camp 
When entering the adventurer's camp, the party will heal any damage previously taken. 
DM collect quests will display "x of x found" on the HUD 
Hotkey added to re-center camera on player 
Doubled the max length for DM quest conversation text 
Added the option to lock your cursor to the window 
Bug fixes 

Community Pack 1: Week of November 9th 

Companion-Specific Skill Trees Unlocked for Players 
Existing unique companion skill trees will become available to players 
Nature Set 
New outdoor area cleared and ready for customization with over 150 new placeable nature objects for DMs. 
Ability Respec 
Characters wishing to forget their prior training will be able to do so. All character points will be refunded, allowing players to change builds or 
reselect their characters' abilities. 
Player Stash 
Players will be able to store additional items within their own personal stash. 
Skill Rolls 
Players will be able to use ability rolls that take their character's bonuses into account. For instance, characters will be able to specifically make a 
"Strength" roll and have their Strength modifier automatically added to the roll. 
Increased Number of Available Monster Abilities 
Custom creatures will have additional monster abilities available to them. 
Bug fixes and additional community feedback items as time allows 

Community Pack 2: Week of November 30th 

Address concerns with ninja looting in multi-player games 
New Playable Sub-race: Drow Elves (including access to Darkness and Faerie Fire abilities) 
DM-placeable visual effects (fire, smoke, etc.) 
Revisions and improvements to the rules for death, party wipe, and stabilize, including new options for players that want more challenge 
Village area and village-related placeable objects for DMs to use in their modules 
Ability to give ambient text to NPCs on select 
Ability for DMs to change the randomized interiors of every tile 
Lock/unlock locations on all quest states (give/update/complete) 

Community Pack 3: December 

Official introduction of mod support, including 
Tile based level editor 
Branching dialog editor 
Adjustable game systems, ex: round timer, loot tables, etc. 
Community facing development of these features to begin immediately 
Option to disable monster level scaling in DM campaigns 

Rage of Demons: Coming Soon 

Return to the Underdark in this all-new adventure taking place as part of D&D's "Rage of Demons" storyline, featuring the legendary outcast drow Drizzt Do'Urden and some of the deadliest enemies ever to terrify Faerûn. 

New Rage of Demons tile sets and placeable objects 
New playable race: Tieflings 
New creatures available for DMs 
New Playable class based on community input 
Allow player-created characters as companions in story mode 
Enable players to control their characters' movement with the WASD keys 

I bolded and colored the parts that are of most importance to me.  Branching dialogues are pretty much a prerequisite for doing any story-driven adventure that's not completely linear and disabling level scaling, well, no explanation needed for that.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm currently making my escape from a chapterhouse.  My team is carrying so much loot that everyone is encumbered and moving at a snail's pace.  I really should just drop some stuff, but I'm too greedy, I want to sell it all.  I won't even drop the mundane stuff.  :p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Where's the 'make it REAL DnD' patch?

This.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well I've made my opinion of this train wreck of a game clear both here and on their board. These patches tell me either they know it's a dumpster fire and they are trying to fix it or the whole thing was rushed out the door and just done half assed. Either is possible. Based on the "professional" reviews and the users on steam (the folks who actually bought the game) this thing was a bomb.

But I realize some folks like Keyrock like it and that's great. But the final product looks nothing like what they pitched back when it was first announced and looks exactly like what the folks on their boar begged them not to do.   

I posted this in March. Seven months before it came out. I was right.

I'm definitely one of the ones complaining over there and it remains to be seen if they really are listening and what this will turn out to be. Based on what I've read so far I'm guessing it will be a puree of vanilla mush that might have a passing wave at something resembling D&D but has been dumbed down to appeal to the 15 year old MMO gamer that names his characters after bodily functions and uses words like pwned.

Man I hope I'm wrong. But the truth is if we get a robust toolset that is accessible and comprehensive as what we had in NWN I (sorry Josh the NWN II toolset was a mess) I can live with all that.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Single player campaign created by members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins

f37.jpg

It seems I was correct.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, at this point, I probably won't even pick this title up in a bargain bin sale. I wouldn't use the tool set even if it were good. I *might* use someone's campaign, but it's unlikely. I could possibly sign into one of the communities hosted places just to take a look, but I never have time for that. So, all that's left is the developers' campaign and our honorable ol' curmudgeon et al have convinced me to forgo that. It's too bad, though, because I actually signed up on their boards when our Guard Dog friend here was excited about the game and now he's one of the folks really disappointed with it.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Strangely enough, I'm not disliking the story, even though it is what my English teach in high school would call "American Cheese", that is, something that's very plain, not bad, but completely devoid of any bite, any spice, any strong taste.  Then again, I'm one of the few weird people that enjoyed the NWN 1 OC, and that was also very much American Cheese.

Mechanically, I get the desire of people for this to be closer to actual D&D rules, given that this is labeled as a D&D game.  I, personally, don't share that desire.  I think the skill trees, as they are now, are perfectly fine, good even.  The biggest problem with the game's mechanics, in my opinion, is that the cooldowns are simply too long.  In the game's current state, there are only a few abilities you'll be able to use even just twice during a typical battle.  I believe there is a very simple fix.  In my opinion, a cooldown reduction, across the board, of 30%, 35%, maybe 40%, would pretty much completely solve the game's mechanical problems.  With a reduction in that range, the really powerful abilities with current cooldowns of around 2 minutes would go down to somewhere in the 1 minute and 15 second range, which would still be only be usable only once per battle, as it should (I don't think I've had a single battle last more than a minute yet, most don't last even 30 seconds).  However, the abilities that currently have cooldowns of 25 to 30 seconds would have cooldowns of around 15 to 20 seconds, allowing you to use them twice during typical battles and three times during long battles.  Abilities that currently have cooldowns in the 40 second range would go down to the 25 to 30 second range, meaning you'd only get to use them once in short battles and you'd get to use them twice in longer battles.  With items that decrease cooldowns you could push the cooldowns of the short cooldown abilities down to the 10 to 12 second range and use them 2 or 3 times in typical battles and 4, maybe even 5, times during long battles, and the medium cooldown abilities down to around 20 seconds, allowing you to use them twice during short battles and 3 times during longer battles, giving you a lot more to do during combat.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

There's a reason the ubiquitous Kraft Singles and its equivalents are labelled "Cheese Product" and not simply "Cheese", and that's because they don't meet the legal definition of cheese, not even in America.

No such legal restriction for RPGs though. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

If i'm a bigger Forgotten Realms fan than a D&D fan would I like this? Like a good 75% of my reading is FR related. The ruleset isn't really all that important to me.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If i'm a bigger Forgotten Realms fan than a D&D fan would I like this? Like a good 75% of my reading is FR related. The ruleset isn't really all that important to me.

Probably. The story isn't awful. It's just unremarkable. It's a C+, two stars out of five, a ham sandwich. I hate it for the rules implementation, game (particularly combat) mechanics, level scaling, and cool downs. Don't even bother playing a magic user type. My party took literally 7 minutes to dispatch a pack of level scaled wolves. It was just terrible to have to watch the damage numbers roll by and the damned things weren't dead yet.

But if you can tolerate the flaws and just want a romp through the FR, it's good for that.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Probably. The story isn't awful. It's just unremarkable. It's a C+, two stars out of five, a ham sandwich. I hate it for the rules implementation, game (particularly combat) mechanics, level scaling, and cool downs. Don't even bother playing a magic user type. My party took literally 7 minutes to dispatch a pack of level scaled wolves. It was just terrible to have to watch the damage numbers roll by and the damned things weren't dead yet.

But if you can tolerate the flaws and just want a romp through the FR, it's good for that.

I would rate the story content better (to me it's a solid B), because they managed to do party banter well and i actually like some of the NPCs, it is standard FR high fantasy story with saving the world, but it is done in FR flavor which i like. Just the combat is uninspired to say the least, the scaling kills any sense of progression and unless you will abuse cooldown reduction gear spells are basically useless. 

Edited by Darkpriest

Oerwinde I'd give you my copy if I could. I'm done with it unless a toolset pops out at some point.

Thomas Sowell

Played my Pally a little over the weekend.

Did you find the HA, Keyrock?

blink.png  I guess the answer is no, since I'm not even sure what that means?

My party took literally 7 minutes to dispatch a pack of level scaled wolves.

Was this in a user created module?  I'm 25+ hours in and I haven't had a single battle last longer than a minute, maybe a minute 10 seconds.  The campaign is filled to the brim with filler battles against trash mobs, just like Pillars, but at least they go by super quick for me, usually about 20 seconds, so I don't find them tedious because I can just control one character while the rest are on auto-pilot and blow through the battle right quick.

As for the damage, it does seem like attacks hit like a wet newspaper.  The damage numbers seem fine, I guess enemies just have insane amounts of hit points.  Still, I mostly control

Bryn

and I get a kick out of watching her go machinegun style with her bow and seeing the enemies health bar go down relatively quickly by a rapid succession of chip damage.  Death by a thousand papercuts, I guess.  :lol:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Played my Pally a little over the weekend.

Did you find the HA, Keyrock?

:blink:  I guess the answer is no, since I'm not even sure what that means?

*gasp*

Holy Avenger

Guess I missed it.  It wouldn't be appropriate for any of my party members anyway.  :unsure:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸