New Real Time With Pause Dungeons & Dragons RPG - SWORD COAST LEGENDS

Infinitron

Cold, dense and lifeless might work better. My inner pedant wants people to know that gold is actually rather soft for a metal, especially pure gold.

And yes, that line does rather look like a straight line for a Discworld Observation along the lines of "Ankh Morpork; one man, one vote! Yes, the one man certainly does have the vote". Then again, this is a mainstream (well, ish) game using the most mainstream of D&D settings and mainstream mechanics, expecting the associated prose to be the height of originality and excellence is a bit unrealistic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can't say I'm to excited for this after watching the stuff they showed on the E3. I hoped SCL to be some sort of spiritual succesor to the NWN-Saga, instead it looks more and more like a MOBA with D&D-References. Randomized Dungeons in the "toolset", a gaming system that contradicts proper Dungeonmastering (it's player vs. DM) and a Solo-Campain nobody knows s*** about. Rules will be based on 5e, but only the absolute core-rules. No multiclassing, only 4 classes and 5 races, no subraces and so on ...

Meh ... what a missed chance.  

Edited by Eisenheinrich

Can't say I'm to excited for this after watching the stuff they showed on the E3. I hoped SCL to be some sort of spiritual succesor to the NWN-Saga, instead it looks more and more like a MOBA with D&D-References. Randomized Dungeos in the "toolset", a gaming system that contradicts proper Dungeonmastering (it's player vs. DM) and a Solo-Campain nobody knows s*** about. Rules will be based on 5e, but only the absolute core-rules. No multiclassing, only 4 classes and 5 races, no subraces and so on ...

Meh ... what a missed chance.  

sounds extremly Scheißerei

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I guess it all depends on how much control the DM has over the adventures.  If it's just here's a random dungeon, you can move the monster spawn points around and tweak a few stats and that's it, then I don't see a point in it.  Hopefully it will be a much more robust system.

Heres an article and ~9 minute video on the DM mode. My understanding is that the DM can construct the entire dungeon from scratch. The Deluxe version of the game includes an additional tile set and Beholder (?) monsters.

Unfortunatly not. The already stated in the SCL-Community that you can't build a dungeon tile by tile. They're pregenerated and randomized. Only things customable are size and some interior stuff like chests, traps and props. Not near the Aurora toolset.

Edited by Eisenheinrich

I guess it all depends on how much control the DM has over the adventures.  If it's just here's a random dungeon, you can move the monster spawn points around and tweak a few stats and that's it, then I don't see a point in it.  Hopefully it will be a much more robust system.

Heres an article and ~9 minute video on the DM mode. My understanding is that the DM can construct the entire dungeon from scratch. The Deluxe version of the game includes an additional tile set and Beholder (?) monsters.

Unfortunatly not. The already stated in the SCL-Community that you can't build a dungeon tile by tile. They're pregenerated and randomized. Only things customable are size and some interior stuff like chests, traps and props. Not near the Aurora toolset.

LOL

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

LOL

You don't believe? Look it up ... it's not made for world-building a la NWN but for quick sessions player vs. DM. It really is more of a MOBA.

Edited by Eisenheinrich

LOL

You don't believe? Look it up ... it's not made for world-building a la NWN but for quick sessions player vs. DM. It really is more of a MOBA.

Well, I am not laughing at you.

I am laughing at their, how to put it mildly, not so bright decision about the core of the multiplayer aspect of the game...

I guess it all depends on how much control the DM has over the adventures. If it's just here's a random dungeon, you can move the monster spawn points around and tweak a few stats and that's it, then I don't see a point in it. Hopefully it will be a much more robust system.

That means it is a no-go category. Would be a waste of money. Better to use that 50$ as a toilet paper...

So much wasted opportunities :(

• Like 1

LOL

Well, I am not laughing at you.

I am laughing at their, how to put it mildly, not so bright decision about the core of the multiplayer aspect of the game...

Well, since MOBAs are pretty popular, I think the game will do fairly well. It's just not aimed at the D&D-NWN-Core Audience the early marketing was aimed for. It's a sham package. They said early on one can create his/Her favourite D&D-Module and play it with friends. No we know this was nothing than a marketing-fraud aming at the NWN-Crowd. I hate gaming industy. 

Kept my hopes for the singleplayer campaign, but since it's only two months till release and we know nothing about story (It's set on the Sword Coast and you're hunted by assassins) I quenched my hopes for an epic tale in the vein of BG and NWN. Clearly, SP was NOT their main concern while developing this game.  

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 2

Dungeon Building 101 with Ash Sevilla and Tim Schwalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfJjKsYvQZA

"We're listening to your guys"

So, there's a chance we get a tile by tile editor later on? That's what they're saying? But, I have to admit, this looks interesting enough. What are your thoughts? MOBA or fully fleshed out dungeon-complex?

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 2

It still looks good to me. I'll give it a try. Long time since I played a D&D game I actually liked (Icewind Dale).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 3 weeks later...

This looks pretty good, but I have one minor complaint: The UI looks more like it was designed for a cyberpunk RPG than for high-fantasy. Still, it's something I could easily live with if the content is good.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Their campaign editor does not support conversation trees LOL. They said the singleplayer campaign will have it due to them doing it manually but the campaign tools do not support it.

Basically when you meet an NPC he can say something upon inspection and then when you talk to him/her/it, it is just going to be a linear conversation with no options or branching, true FPS game style.

That plus dungeon design being a random generator should tell you all about this game. And base game comes with 6 classes and 5 races and they will charge you for each extra one in DLCs and charge you to get new dungeon sets and furniture LOL. And people that will be making custom campaigns FOR FREE for their game to actually last longer on the market will need to buy all that crap as well as everyone wanting to use it. It is already bad enough that you need to buy a Deluxe version now to get access to more stuff to create FOR FREE campaigns that others will be using and buying their game! This is Skyrim paid mods crap all again except 100% of profits go to the devs!

Money grabbing fakes is all they are.

Edited by archangel979

• 3 weeks later...

I got really frustrated with the direction this was going and stopped following it. I had already plunked down my 50 bucks so WTH. While I'm not encouraged by what I've seen and what we bought was definitely NOT what they said they were selling at the beginning of this project I'll swallow my disappointment and keep an open mind. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell