The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

Pondering a bit the meaning of 'romance' in the context of games. Does it count as romancing someone if it's already established at the outset that you're in a stable, long-term relationship with them? There's no romance arc as such, merely a relationship continuing to exist. And I think that's a good thing: instead of being a minigame for you to 'win', it's just another character development device for the writer. The player character and their partner have sex, just like all the times before the story of the game starts, and likely all the times they will after the game ends. Not something to build up to, it's just there. The Bioware approach can sometimes feel like being in a reality TV show in the manner of The Bachelor, given the extremely short time frames the overall story of games tend to take place over.

P.S. For that matter, in real life day to day life with your spouse of 40 years, say, count as romancing them? If you have sex with them on a given day? Or is it something that just is.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Pondering a bit the meaning of 'romance' in the context of games. Does it count as romancing someone if it's already established at the outset that you're in a stable, long-term relationship with them? There's no romance arc as such, merely a relationship continuing to exist. And I think that's a good thing: instead of being a minigame for you to 'win', it's just another character development device for the writer. The player character and their partner have sex, just like all the times before the story of the game starts, and likely all the times they will after the game ends. Not something to build up to, it's just there. The Bioware approach can sometimes feel like being in a reality TV show in the manner of The Bachelor, given the extremely short time frames the overall story of games tend to take place over.

P.S. For that matter, in real life day to day life with your spouse of 40 years, say, count as romancing them? If you have sex with them on a given day? Or is it something that just is.

Mmmmm...its an interesting question. So your character is already in a  relationship at the start of the RPG journey so they wouldn't Romance anyone during the game ?

No this wouldn't be considered a Romance arc or acceptable for most promancers. Because the Romance options needs be an active part of the game and something that allows you to interact with, like all RPG components

It would be like an RPG option where the main character talks about exploring exciting dungeons in his past but in the actual game there are no exciting dungeons to visit...something would be off about that type of implementation?  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well then given how I was (mostly) pleased with the way TWitcher 2 did the relationship aspect and would be happy if Wild Hunt continued in that vein, I guess that rules me out as a promancer. And as much as it pains me to admit, removing the choice in the first game would probably have made it stronger narratively - and this is coming from someone who chose Shani.

That said, that kind of approach really wouldn't go well at all with a generic player character, so it's definitely something that should probably be reserved for the predefined protagonist RPGs out there.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

And whether the Last Wish still applies, due to the fact that Yen and Geralt were very near death or maybe even died in Rivia. Personally i'm assuming it does, as Geralt still had half formed memories of a sorceress being important to him, which Triss manipulated to her own ends, and not even the Dearg Rhudri's amnesia could entirely dispel that.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Someone posted rather interesting image showing off how big of a change the weather and day/night cycle can give to the visuals

The one on the left looks better.  More detailed/defined. 

it's the same scene with the same graphics at different light conditions (midday vs late afternoon). its not like each picture showcases a different version of the graphics  (like PC vs PS4)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Someone posted rather interesting image showing off how big of a change the weather and day/night cycle can give to the visuals

The one on the left looks better.  More detailed/defined. 

it's the same scene with the same graphics at different light conditions (midday vs late afternoon). its not like each picture showcases a different version of the graphics  (like PC vs PS4)

I know.  I just like the look of the one on the left better. 

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 3 weeks later...

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/33354-Interviews-and-Articles-2015?p=1542435&viewfull=1#post1542435

• There are many different types of additional weapons to pick up, many of which unlock at higher levels.
  • Weapons (including swords) will not last forever and can be destroyed if used too frequently or heavily; you will need to regularly visit a craftsman in order to maintain them.
  • The HUD is very customizable. There are several options available, including turning off the mini-map and all sorts of notifications.
  • All graphical settings are present in the in-game menu.
  • Enemies will parry crossbow bolts with shields.
  • The game’s skill tree is massive. There are four or five trees, each having five tiers divided into five skills. Every skill has three or four levels to unlock. Even though Geralt will gain more skill points per level later in the game, it’ll still be impossible to unlock everything.
  • After unlocking skills, they must be activated. This is done by placing them in a separate tree, which contains a limited number of slots. Activated skills affect Geralt’s fighting style, and activating a set of skills from the same category will increase its overall effects. It adds another layer to preparations and tactical planning, as players have to choose an appropriate set of active skills depending on what kind of opponent you are going to face (for example, with heavily armored knights, you can activate the Igni upgrade that allows you to melt armors).
  • There are four slots for mutagens, which also affect your abilities.
  • Temporary companions are quite helpful and even use different fighting styles. For example, one woman that accompanied one playthrough waited for the right moment while enemies were focused on Geralt to stab them in the back for considerable damage.
  • The game is “pretty difficult”, and you can die frequently even on easy if you’re not careful.
  • With regards to dynamic weather: there will be snow, different phases of day/night, different stages of cloudiness, storms, a few types of rain and even a morning mist.
  • The enemy AI is “really good”. Wolves and bandits spread to cut off all of Geralt’s escape routes. If you kill their respective leaders, they end up completely disorganized. One enemy can use himself as bait to give the rest of his squad a chance to put Geralt in a corner. If you set up a trap or Yrden sign in front of the enemy, they will actively avoid it.
  • NPC models are very diverse and the interior of every hut looks different
Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"If you set up a trap or Yrden sign in front of the enemy, they will actively avoid it."

So why use it then at all? :>

say you are in a corridor and 2 enemies are coming at you. you put down Yrden and now half the corridor is blocked. only one enemy can come at you and the other will have to stay behind and wait for the Yrden to expire or if the passage is too narrow it will block it completelly and you can use igni or bombs to kill them from a distance or you can simply escape. if you are in an open area you can keep the trap to your back and if an enemy charges at you, you roll to the side and he gets caught or by putting down 2 traps you can prevent a group from surrounding you

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/33354-Interviews-and-Articles-2015?p=1542435&viewfull=1#post1542435

• The game is “pretty difficult”, and you can die frequently even on easy if you’re not careful.

Here's to hoping that the "pretty difficult" isn't anything like The Wichter 2's "pretty difficult" aka "frustrating" (I am, of course, referring to the difficulty at release, not the current state of the game).

Locked for length, continued here.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: