Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Heh fitting choice of music, Two Steps From Hell's 'Protectors of the Earth'. For some reason the guy saying "give them hell" made me think of Makarov.

It's always interesting how different music set to the same visuals can put a totally different emotion spin to it.. It's got to be quite an art to get the right type for what you want to evoke..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Heh fitting choice of music, Two Steps From Hell's 'Protectors of the Earth'. For some reason the guy saying "give them hell" made me think of Makarov.

It's always interesting how different music set to the same visuals can put a totally different emotion spin to it.. It's got to be quite an art to get the right type for what you want to evoke..

True. Like playing "always look on the bright side of life" over the ending.

Sweet trailer. There is still something... odd about Shepardloo's face, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The eyes maybe? Unsettling.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

As for his eyes, well Shepards do work in valleys.. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Erm, why are the reapers letting people use their relays? Why not just shut them down until the reaping.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Erm, why are the reapers letting people use their relays? Why not just shut them down until the reaping.

That was part of why they wanted the Citadel. That's pretty much the main switchboard. Or something to that effect. Without having control of that, they can't shut the relays down en masse.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's been covered, by why not hit Citadel before Earth ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not sure if it's been covered, by why not hit Citadel before Earth ?

If I'm recalling correctly, the original Plan A was that the Keepers were hardwired to send the signal awakening the Reapers and bypass the security of whatever alien races had inhabited the Citadel. Thus allowing the Reapers to switch off the relays, cause the advanced civilisations to fall apart and generally isolate each system. - The whole, by leaving the Mass Relays, it stopped other civilisations bothering to develop other means of ftl travel and technology base.

The Prothean researchers on Ilos managed to reprogram the Keepers to prevent all of that.

Sovereigns big plan was to use the hidden relay to get into the Citadel directly and bypass the defenses that the Keepers wouldn't switch off. Then get Saren to reactivate the Reaper-Beacon and allow things to go back to Plan A as normal. - Which is what you, as Shepard, stop in ME1.

The Collectors, under another Reaper's control, are a separate Plan C, geared towards analysing the various civilisations as they develop. Which is why they had the whole reputation as mysterious "slaver" types who would offer up advanced tech and the like for various mutants and odd creatures, besides randomly snatching up small groups of the various species on the galactic playboard. This allows the Reapers to identify the players when they return, and provide them with plenty of genetic data for them to use in various ways. - Most notably, selecting which species would be useful as tweaked servants, who might be able to resist indoctrination, and who would be most useful in the process of creating new broods of Reapers...

When Shepard stops Sovereign, it made the Collectors (under Harbringer) take notice of humanity, and why they quickly killed Shepard so soon after Sovereign's death. Two years of studying humanity, and they decide that as the key group who managed to destroy a Reaper (and I'm assuming a bunch of other reasons - note, see Mordin's talk about the difference in Humanitys genetics compared to the majority of other races) the Humans make the best genetic soup for new Reapers. And lo and behold, Shepard wipes the floor with the Collectors and stops that beginning sequence of the Reapers Plan D.

Then on a side note, Shepard also manages to destroy the oldest Mass Relay, and cause a delay in the Reapers Plan F arrival...

So I'd say the Reapers will be assuming that since none of the other races have really had much of an effect on Reaper plans, the best bet would be to swiftly remove Humanity from the game board, and then things can get back to normal. They don't want to reduce the Citadel to ruins and rebuild it once more, and it might be too much hassle to get around its defenses (considering the Keepers no longer automatically let them do so). So they head directly for Earth in the attempt to rapidly kick the crud out of the uppity kids. Also causing general fear in other races and potentially doing various PsyOps effects....

So since it's proven by Sovereign that the reapers can override their own technology, the question has to be asked: Why didn't one of the invasion fleet stop over at Charon when entering the Sol system and flick the off switch?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So since it's proven by Sovereign that the reapers can override their own technology, the question has to be asked: Why didn't one of the invasion fleet stop over at Charon when entering the Sol system and flick the off switch?

The tech that Sovereign overrode, was the cybernetic implants that Sovereign had specifically implanted in Saren. So things he'd had built himself, for that specific purpose.

If he could directly effect the Mass Relays and other big construction projects the Reapers had developed (ala the Citadel) he wouldn't have had any problem with getting into the Citadel in the first place.. At least to my mind.

Going purely Devil's Advocate here..

Possibly, one of the reasoning is that if you're relying on other races to develop along Element Zero / Mass Effect technology, you can't leave obvious backdoors and such in the tech? Races might be using them for several millenia, and in that time will quite probably get some understanding of them. By focusing the backdoor in the Keepers, and thus the central node (which I don't think the other races had realised that the Citadel served that purpose), no-one can find the possible flaw in the Mass Relays (ie, that its possible to shut them down via the Citadel).

• Like 1

Logical, still think they'd be able to jury rig their own technology however. If only because they were present during its creation.

Tea for the teapot!

i think trying to make logical sense out of what's been laid out in mass effect is going to involve a lot of unicorns and leprechauns.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The tech that Sovereign overrode, was the cybernetic implants that Sovereign had specifically implanted in Saren. So things he'd had built himself, for that specific purpose.

Hmm. Unless I'm mistaken, the keepers were supposed to react to a signal sent by Sovereign, to get the Citadel mass relay online. They were made deaf to that by genetic tampering by the Ilos scientists, which forced Sovereign to go to the Citadel itself.

I don't think the writers were very clear in ME1 on that point, though. Sovy interfaces with the Citadel directly and brings it to a sort of lockdown with the wards closed and all, and the next step seems to be activating the Citadel to bring back his pals. IIRC it isn't obvious what the extent of Saren's involvement with operating the Citadel controls is, and why putting him down seems to "beat" Sovereign.

At any rate, it makes sense that the Reapers would take control of the Citadel first, defense fleets notwithstanding. But that would most likely make the game unwinnable by virtue of having an unstoppable foe that isn't completely stupid and/or has lost its teeth with respect to previous installments. Happened with the Borg in ST, too.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think it was made fairly clear during the first game that Saren *needed* to be on the inside to hand controls over to Sovereign. This is why they could simply attack the Citadel to begin with. They needed to find the conduit, so that Saren could quickly gain access to Citadel control. Without someone on the inside, there'd be no way for the Reapers to use the Citadel relay, or possibly to assail the Citadel at all - with the Keepers unable to follow the Reapers' commands, there'd be nothing stopping the organic races from closing the Citadel arms and making it fairly impregnable, were the Reapers to attack it.

Going after Earth is still a bit questionable, but it's one of the lesser issues I have with the ME3 premise.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Is this game really worth of all the hype and discussion it spurs?

I mean, I played through the first and found nothing really spectacular... and reading about the second doesn't really encourage any thinking...

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I didn't like the first. The second is one of my top games of the past few years. The only negative I've heard about the third is the ending being terrible.

It's still one of the better franchises of this generation.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I had somewhat fun with the first but not enough to bother with the second, and I really didn't see what was the appeal for it (to give a contrast, I did see the appeal for Halo, for one meaningless example).

I'd be very interested to learn what people liked about the series (outside of Bio forums, which are ****ed).

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

For ME2, it has fun characters and gameplay. Grunt, Mordin, Garrus, Legion will be fondly remembered by many. And regardless of if you think the gameplay is whack-a-mole, it's still fun for whack-a-mole. If you like TPS games, at least.

ME1, I'm the last person to answer what was good about it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I certainly prefer the ME series to the Dragon Age games. I always love a good space opera, too, and there aren't a huge amount of them out there. In fact quite a few of the cinematic moments in this game bring me back to my days of playing the Wing Commander series, despite the fact the gameplay shares nothing in common.

FOV was good there. :)

And facepalm Bioware, Day 1 DLC and N7 CE bonuses can't be preloaded. ccc

edit: 10 GB and something Morgoth

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I liked the DAO gameplay over the ME one, it was more reminiscent of the old days (even thought it was flawed). But I fairly liked the story flow of ME (not that it was anything special), but not enought to go on for the second. And now, they're both (ME 2 and 3) at the lips of everyone, and I can't comprehend why.