Mass Effect 3

Gorth

Well I'd love to talk about MLB 12 The Show coming out on the same day as ME3, but nobody usually responds to me when I bring it up.

Obsidian games get plenty of due when they come out, we are just in between releases right now.

and i'd love to talk about fighting games, but i know no one else here feels the same way about them i do. but yeah, we all love obsidian/rpg games, so those get all the attention

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'll just refer to entrerix's sig for the appropriate social commentary.

Also, http://blog.bioware....-mass-effect-3/. I wasn't confused by this before, since I just assumed it was just like those +renegade/paragon situations in ME2, but apparently in their urge to cater to the OCD, they had to make this convoluted system so that you don't get a single renegade point.

Also, you seemingly now get exp pops every now and then due to all of the whiners who had never heard that in a real RPG, xp is awarded at the end of the session/mission. :p

Late addition edit: There's a otherwise pretty indifferent video on changes between me2 and me3 that brings up an interesting point. If you're importing, the narrative adjusts so that, say, when you first meet Ashley, you're going to have an actual talk with her instead of the quick pass the demo had. I got the feeling it could work both ways, so that old players are going to "miss" some exposition that would otherwise take place at another stage.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Also, you seemingly now get exp pops every now and then due to all of the whiners who had never heard that in a real RPG, xp is awarded at the end of the session/mission. :p

Except this has been done all of two times afaik. Well, three if you count Space Siege (I'm so not counting Space Siege).Vampire Bloodlines and Mass Effect 2. I like the system myself, but it's not by any means a RPG standard.

Except this has been done all of two times afaik. Well, three if you count Space Siege (I'm so not counting Space Siege).Vampire Bloodlines and Mass Effect 2. I like the system myself, but it's not by any means a RPG standard.

Real (ie. table top) RPG =/= CRPG.

I'll just refer to entrerix's sig for the appropriate social commentary.

Also, http://blog.bioware....-mass-effect-3/. I wasn't confused by this before, since I just assumed it was just like those +renegade/paragon situations in ME2, but apparently in their urge to cater to the OCD, they had to make this convoluted system so that you don't get a single renegade point.

I have to admit, I kind of liked the whole

Sadly, in Mass Effect 3, as war tears families apart and reduces entire continents to glowing craters, saying

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

As a human colony falls to Reaper forces, you order down an orbital strike, brutally killing thousands of colonists to prevent the Reapers from turning them into husks

Seems like a good idea generally.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As a human colony falls to Reaper forces, you order down an orbital strike, brutally killing thousands of colonists to prevent the Reapers from turning them into husks

Seems like a good idea generally.

... Guess it's time to start my obsid forum blackout.

That was from the blog you linked, doesn't seem like a spoiler. And in a situation like that, it does seem both merciful and sensible to incinerate the colonist with orbital fire - Reapers don't get to use them and they don't have to endure being used. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know! I'll start a Dungeon Siege III thread.

That will be promptly locked because that game has its own forum.

Still snippy, cool down.

And the DS3 forum is (sadly) almost dead, like the Alpha Protocol one. Guess I'll have to hold my will to communicate here and wait until the SP RPG comes out. But like someone said before (my man!), while I trust Obsidian's work, it's not the most exciting project they ever worked on. We'll see. I wonder who is the creative designer for this game. Gonzalez? Ziets?

Well, have fun people.

Still snippy, cool down.

And the DS3 forum is (sadly) almost dead, like the Alpha Protocol one. Guess I'll have to hold my will to communicate here and wait until the SP RPG comes out. But like someone said before (my man!), while I trust Obsidian's work, it's not the most exciting project they ever worked on. We'll see. I wonder who is the creative designer for this game. Gonzalez? Ziets?

Well with Alpha Protocol, I think pretty much everyones filled their views, their likes and dislikes on those forums by now. If only there had been a follow on to it, it would still be going strong. But with nothing new to really talk about, things slow down and settle. There's only so much you can say before you're repeating yourself... ;)

Hell, I pretty much wandered onto the Obs Boards purely because of interest in the "upcoming Alpha Protocl" back when..

Edited by Raithe

I guess we came here at the same time and with the same motive, Raithe. :)

I know! I'll start a Dungeon Siege III thread.

That will be promptly locked because that game has its own forum.

Still snippy, cool down.

Well, have fun people.

Well, you're the one who came here bitching and derailed this for pages. :p

Well, the people responding to him really did the derailing, when you think about it. Oh well. Was funny to comment on those spoilers Tale had at work, managed to annoy 2 coworkers that way. Mind you one was upset at being told "the Reapers die", hmm.

Well, the people responding to him really did the derailing, when you think about it. Oh well. Was funny to comment on those spoilers Tale had at work, managed to annoy 2 coworkers that way. Mind you one was upset at being told "the Reapers die", hmm.

VADER IS LUKE'S DAD!

There's derailing and then there's derailing....

I have to admit, there are those moments of concern over the way they're heading with ME3, but at the moment (even with the demo) I really can't outrightly say yay or nay on how it will handle.

The demo was just too.. cut back and didn't really show off a large amount of what the game is about. - okay, it possibly did if everything else is cut back that much, but I can't see that happening - The demo was pretty much just a slightly glitchy shooter with some cinematics.

The key elements to the game are the over-arcing story, the dialogue (and the choices you make it in), how the "war assets" gathering and management are actually handled, and the personal stories and how "emotionally involving" the whole combination can be. And until I can actually sit down and play it for a few hours to see how that develops.. I'm going to sit there with the "potential skepticism, but hopeful optimism" for how it will turn out.

I'm holding off on totally bitching them out about it until I have a firmer grasp on it all then some previews, spoilers and game journalists talking about it... :shifty:

There's derailing and then there's derailing....

I have to admit, there are those moments of concern over the way they're heading with ME3, but at the moment (even with the demo) I really can't outrightly say yay or nay on how it will handle.

The demo was just too.. cut back and didn't really show off a large amount of what the game is about. - okay, it possibly did if everything else is cut back that much, but I can't see that happening - The demo was pretty much just a slightly glitchy shooter with some cinematics.

The key elements to the game are the over-arcing story, the dialogue (and the choices you make it in), how the "war assets" gathering and management are actually handled, and the personal stories and how "emotionally involving" the whole combination can be. And until I can actually sit down and play it for a few hours to see how that develops.. I'm going to sit there with the "potential skepticism, but hopeful optimism" for how it will turn out.

I'm holding off on totally bitching them out about it until I have a firmer grasp on it all then some previews, spoilers and game journalists talking about it... :shifty:

I still recommend the spoiler-free non-review review from IGN, which seems almost surprisingly honest: http://xbox360.ign.c.../1219445p1.html

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 1

One of the two main sources for spoilers loves the game. It's kind of funny like that. He's pointed out weaknesses of the endings, but he'll tell you that he enjoyed it enough to be on his third playthrough already.

That's pretty optimistic. I expect to continue hating the ending. But I'll probably enjoy the characters and gameplay. Vega may even turn out to be likable and not Ashley with muscles.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still recommend the spoiler-free non-review review from IGN, which seems almost surprisingly honest: http://xbox360.ign.c.../1219445p1.html

This change only made itself clear 15 or 20 hours into the game, when it becomes overwhelmingly obvious how intricately woven the sum parts of the Mass Effect series are. I found myself continually shaking my head in awe as things came together, not only from Mass Effect 2, but from Mass Effect itself. Even though I'm playing "fresh" on PlayStation 3, my extensive experience with Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on Xbox 360 allowed me to appreciate all of the odes, both major and minor, being thrown out to characters, events and conversations that had occurred in previous games. How BioWare accomplished all of this successfully borders on mind-boggling. Such an experience brought around a sort of revelation, that Mass Effect 3 really will be best experienced by those who have played in their entirety the previous two titles in the trilogy.

See, "hopeful optimism"...

So preload available today but i won't be able to unlock, install and play the game before next friday. Hooray.

http://help.ea.com/article/mass-effect-3-release-schedule

Damn publishers, retailers,... whoever made this weird schedule. ( I know it's been known for a while, but i was hoping that at least all digital versions would be unlocked on the same day.)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Serves me right for watching it before posting!

Heh fitting choice of music, Two Steps From Hell's 'Protectors of the Earth'. For some reason the guy saying "give them hell" made me think of Makarov.

Edited by Malcador

Launch trailer is pretty darn exciting. I'm hoping the actual cutscenes and dialogue will be as adrenaline pumping in the game. They were pretty good in 2, so there's little cause for doubt.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."