Movies you've seen recently

Tale

No, I read part of the series as well (the first two books, I think). And I was impressed with how well they managed to turn that into a full length movie story. Like I said, it hit all the theoretical right notes, it just didn't work for me. : /

Yeah, I really enjoyed John Carter. It mashed up some of the books, but it really kept the soul of them throughout the whole thing. A lot of people had trouble with how it looked like it ripped off so many other sources, but technically it's the reverse. One of those that inspired so much over the last century that what was original and sparkling has become standard story tropes.

It's a shame that with it tanking so badly it's unlikely to get a follow-on.

Part of the trouble it had was the Director is a major fan of the books, and thought that everybody knew who John Carter was. He made some comment about how he considered John Carter to be a name known in every household like Batman is. And due to his successes with Pixar, the studio had given him total control, including over the advertising campaign before it was released. Which pretty much made it seem very genericy blah to everyone who didn't know what John Carter is.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

A lot of people had trouble with how it looked like it ripped off so many other sources, but technically it's the reverse.

I was aware of that by the time I watched the movie, so that isn't my complaint. At least, not any more so than I would have watching "Mission Impossible" and going "yup it's a spy/suspense movie." eg, everything feels somewhat derivative to me these days so I try not to hold that against a film specifically anymore.

I just found it kind of dull. The romance/chemistry between the leads didn't work for me, even on the shallow basis these types of film tend to use... and frankly, Carter's extreme leaping ability (even if it is on Mars) made me giggle. It started off reasonably enough, for fantasy, with Carter having trouble walking and such, then rapidly went to totally absurd. I know the material was written when people still thought there were "canals" that mean there might be life on Mars, and of course it's a fantasy, not reality. But still hard to suspend disbelief when the rest of the movie didn't capture my emotions/attention enough to forgive it and the only explanation they have is "Mars has different gravity than Earth" (Superman has alien DNA, Green Lantern has a magical ring, Luke has "The Force" etc).

As filmed, perhaps if it had taken a more satirical approach I would have enjoyed it more. Not an over the top satirical...just the occasional knowing wink type.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To be fair to the books, they didn't actually have the leaping quite that absurd. The film definitely pushed the "superman leaping" which was somewhat... silly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Threads, cheerful little movie, a bit silly in some parts.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Been catching up on the TNT series "Falling Skies" this afternoon. I somehow missed it before. Season 2 premiere tonight.

It's not a bad little sci-fi post-alien invasion/human rebellion/resistance show. Not great, with a lot of sudden quick (eg, anticlimactic) problem solutions, longer-than should be plotlines and some bad dialogue here and there, but not like the pickings for sci-fi TV is huge right now. A little more human-interest drama than I tend to prefer (Spielberg...), but the effects aren't too shabby for TV and it's enough to keep me watching. Anyone else catch this one?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I saw season 1. It turned out I recorded these two episodes today and they're running in the background while I do other stuff.

I thought season 1 was terribly boring. Alien invasion series where they almost never fight aliens. They spent more time fighting each other. Then the few times they fought the aliens, they won with silly stuff. I think I have a hard time suspending my disbelief about an alien invasion that conquers earth, but has trouble finding a group of people who hang out in broad daylight. Nor is there any real indication of a broader plot to the series or objective.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Saw Alien vs Predator : Requiem on TV. That was a poor, poor choice, then again I watched Starship Troopers afterward.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saw Alien vs Predator : Requiem on TV. That was a poor, poor choice, then again I watched Starship Troopers afterward.

Starship Troopers is awesome, I don't know why you're complaining.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Pretty much, always find ST slightly entertaining. Course I'd have preferred the rest to both films :lol: That's one movie they should re-do, but with the powered suits this time.

Starship Troopers is one of my "guilty pleasures." The original one at least. I tried watching one of those horrible sequels once. Never again.

I saw season 1. It turned out I recorded these two episodes today and they're running in the background while I do other stuff.

I thought season 1 was terribly boring. Alien invasion series where they almost never fight aliens. They spent more time fighting each other. Then the few times they fought the aliens, they won with silly stuff. I think I have a hard time suspending my disbelief about an alien invasion that conquers earth, but has trouble finding a group of people who hang out in broad daylight. Nor is there any real indication of a broader plot to the series or objective.

Kind of like how in Walking Dead season2, they hardly fight any zombies. :lol: It's a little slow (the human interest stuff, like I mentioned). And yes it's silly. I must admit that half of my like for the show probably stems from the Pope character. I always like those types of characters. And in terms of the day/night thing....that was the first thing that came to my mind watching the very first episode ... "these aliens must be day-sleepers or something, because the confrontations are always at night." I liked the premiere the other day tho....I wonder what they'll do with the Ben/son chr....

Edited by LadyCrimson

I finally got around to seeing Prometheus last night. Visually stunning, even in 2d. The plot left me scratching my head a little.

I dunno, I guess I was expecting something a little more...scary.

Hopefully I can make it out to see Abe Lincoln:Vampire Hunter this weekend.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Super 8, better than I expected. Fun popcorn monster flick.

Euuccchhh. Couldn't the director simply have fellated Spielberg in private and saved us the movie?

I think he fellated him to make the movie.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Hopefully I can make it out to see Abe Lincoln:Vampire Hunter this weekend.

I saw an ad for that and I was like, "wtf?" :lol:

The idea is just crazy enough it might work.

I read the book too, but I remembered it being more of Abe squeaking by the vampires, not going all ninja with his axe.

I'm still stoked to go see it, though.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

So, yesterday I saw "12 Angry Men" and "The Magus". There's a Swedish site where you can upload your ratings of movies and then get suggestions on new movies to see, see who likes the same movies as you, et.c.. A pity I don't know of any similar site for games... :/

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

didnt the guy who directed Drive direct valhalla rising?

Drive was spectacular by the way. one of the best action movies of the past 5 years for sure (right up there with no country for old men and a history of violence).

saw Coraline recently, lousy first half, great second half. I kept thinking while watching it that The Thief of Always would make a fantastic pg-13 stop motion movie

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.