What are you playing now?

I often wonder how many of the people who keep on whining about DA2 actually played it, never mind with an open mind.

I tried it on a console in a shop - I fairly liked the original but after about 15 minutes I stopped the game and I've never even considered going back.. it felt bland and boring.

Fortune favors the bald.

I often wonder how many of the people who keep on whining about DA2 actually played it, never mind with an open mind.

I tried it on a console in a shop - I fairly liked the original but after about 15 minutes I stopped the game and I've never even considered going back.. it felt bland and boring.

Did you play DAO on a console?

I've often thought about my own perceptions about the DA series. I think the crucial point is that I played DAO originally on a console, and only later on the vastly improved PC version. Even with the later PC experience, DA2 felt like a massive improvement, since that's what it was - over the DAO console version. I played the console demo at an event pre-release, I can imagine the gameplay felt terribad after the DAO pc version...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I did finish it, and I hated it, I liked how Origins played and hated how DA2 played. And before you ask why I finished it; I'm unemployed, and wanted to play it through to the end incase someone called me on it.

Heh, also; It's good to have an open mind, but don't open it so much your brain falls out. :ermm:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I liked Dragon Age 2. I want to say I loved it. I really did love what they did with gameplay. And how encounters are handled. People hate the wave setup, but I thought it made encounters more interesting and kept me on my toes. On the other hand, Act 3 makes me want to call a box of kittens bad names. Those poor kittens.

I won't go into details about what is so bad about Act 3. I was a broken enough record when the game was released.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i liked it, but yet hate so much about it. still, in the end what matters is that i had enough fun playing it that i was glad i did. It was however, $20 too expensive. It felt like a slapped together game, and shouldn't have been the same price as DAO.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I bought the Witcher through GOG and I had to quit after 20 minutes. The combat was really bad, dialogue felt little bit off all the time and voice acting was mediocre at best. Does it get any better?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Vizime was fun for me, punctuated by that annoying swamp. If you quit after 20 minutes, I guess it'd just get worse for you though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I bought the Witcher through GOG and I had to quit after 20 minutes. The combat was really bad, dialogue felt little bit off all the time and voice acting was mediocre at best. Does it get any better?

The combat stays the same, but you get use to it after awhile. I thought the dialogue was good for a video game. Geralt is the main character, so you're always going to be enjoying his delivery.

I never finished the original game but played it for about 10 hours before I felt it wasn't worth it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Plugging away at Ground Control as Major Bastila, am a bit sad that the Daredevils were KIA, serves me right for rushing to that evac point.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thanks for the feedback on DA2; I keep waffling between skipping the game entirely and holding out for a good bundle-style deal with the DLC, and it's comments like these that convince me that the game's worth a purchase after all. Am seeing the game still in stores at 19.99 these days, but it doesn't come with any DLC, I don't think. Maybe is not quite time for me, yet.

Besides, am still being impressed with Skyrim. That should keep me going through the holidays at least.

Are you interested in a game but don't want to pay for it at full price?

Solution: Wait for it to go on sale on Steam.

I bought six copies of Fallout:NV for less than the price of one copy when it first came out, and that game is only a year old.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Still don't much like Steam as a medium for acquiring games, preferring a disk version whenever possible. I kick it old-school.

Is a good idea, though.

i prefer a disc most of the time, but $60 games on steam sell for FIVE bucks during great sales, for that price, its basically a rental, that you get to play forever, and on as many computers as you can buy.

i have probably fifty games on my steam account, and only paid over $10 for maybe 5 of them... steam = the thrifty gamers paradise

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Am vaguely curious as to how many of those games you've finished, though. Me, I know I like a good deal, but of those few games that I've purchased via digital distribution methods (not just Steam), I have yet to actually play some of them, let alone finish. That's another reason I prefer physical media: the impetus to play is greater for me. Am shlepping around the internet killing time, and I think "maybe a game would be fun... but which game?" and I know there's a Morrowind disk in the drive or a NWN2 box on the shelf next to me and I think "yeah... that one."

Am by no means a game hoarder, but if a game that's "out of sight, out of mind" only costs 8 bucks, that's still 8 wasted bucks, and I'll take greater satisfaction from completing a good game than I will from forgetting about a spectacular one.

*shrugs* Am not disputing that there are great deals to be had. Just that a purely virtual gaming experience will be worthwhile for everyone. Edit or that acquiring a game for 10 bucks is an end in itself that everyone will appreciate.

Edited by Magnum Opus

If I add up all the games I've purchased since 2000 no way is it even close to 50.

There haven't been 50 games worth playing since 2000 to begin with regardless of cost.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If I add up all the games I've purchased since 2000 no way is it even close to 50.

There haven't been 50 games worth playing since 2000 to begin with regardless of cost.

Probably way more than 50 here, but some of them are bought "bulk", as in the Indie Humble Bundle and some serious attempts at branching out a bit by trying genres that I would normally not look twice at. Point and click adventures, TPS fighting games like DMC4 and Dead Space, some simple kill anything that moves games etc. Guess I got tired of always playing the same 4-5 games/franchises for a decade :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

50+ games im mostly glad i bought on steam:

Dead Island (NA)

Gemini Rue

Avadon

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

Skyrim

Bastion

Costume Quest

Painkiller Complete Pack - Summer Sale 2011 (RoW)

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII Double Pack

The Binding Of Isaac

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Standard Edition (Pre-Order)

Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues DLC

Mass Effect

Worms Reloaded

Frozen Synapse - Two Pack

Two Worlds II

Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle

Star Wars: KOTOR

Star Wars: Empire at War Gold

Super ID Software Pack

Total War: Shogun 2

Portal 2 PS3 - PC Retail

Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts DLC

Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition

SEGA Genesis Classics Collection (NA)

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

Lara Croft GOL

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition

Sid Meier's Pirates!

F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition

Just Cause 2

Alpha Protocol

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Left 4 Dead 2

Fallout: New Vegas

Civilization V

Puzzle Quest 2

Metro 2033 Retail

Winterbottom

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (Stand-alone)

Shatter

Red Faction Guerrilla

X-Com Complete Pack

Dawn of War II Gold

Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms

Psychonauts

Osmos

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

Indigo Prophecy

Mirror's Edge

Medieval II: Total War

Defense Grid: The Awakening

Torchlight

Plants vs. Zombies

Empire: Total War - The Warpath Campaign

Empire: Total War (NA)

Audiosurf

Thief: Deadly Shadows

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Penumbra Collectors Pack

Ubisoft Classics Pack

Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package

The Orange Box Retail

Left 4 Dead

Half-Life 2 Retail Standard

yeah, there is definitely some junk in there, wasted $5 games etc, but there are a lot of games i bought for $5 (or less) that i really enjoyed. a couple full retail releases too, but overall, i've grown to really like steam.

Dungeon Defenders

Bought the 4-pack from Steam sale and have played few hours with my friend. It's a nice tower defense game with some "Diabloish" elements (you grind same levels for a chance to get better loot & experience points). And just like the first Diablo the online community is filled with hacked characters and items, which is a shame because if you can't find time to play with your friends you pretty much have to solo the game.