Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants?

Romance in PC CRPG is crap shocker. They should have stuck to their guns and told the partisan minority to keep writing their own fanfiction. I know there's a very passionate little group of players that like the romances but being vocal doesn't make you a majority.

They're terrible, they've always been terrible. It's not the writers fault, either, it's just that real romance doesn't happen in the space of five to ten scripted multiple choice conversations. You're never going to get real depth and feeling in that format, you're only ever going to get tacky cheese. That's exactly the argument Josh and Co used to exclude them in the first game and they were dead right to do it.

Should have stuck to their guns. That said, they're easy to ignore I suppose so if it makes people happy then so be it. But don't complain when you finally do get romance but it's not quite good enough.

Except romance can be quite endearing when done right. You don't need multiple entries, or sequels, to create meaningful romance. Some of my favorite romances come from dragon age origins. 

It's just here, the devs didn't have the talent to make good romance. In which case, they should have instead not opted for romance.

So maybe it's a bit short and not that well written for the characters. I still find it entertaining to have Hylea as a wingman

Romance in PC CRPG is crap shocker. They should have stuck to their guns and told the partisan minority to keep writing their own fanfiction. I know there's a very passionate little group of players that like the romances but being vocal doesn't make you a majority.

They're terrible, they've always been terrible. It's not the writers fault, either, it's just that real romance doesn't happen in the space of five to ten scripted multiple choice conversations. You're never going to get real depth and feeling in that format, you're only ever going to get tacky cheese. That's exactly the argument Josh and Co used to exclude them in the first game and they were dead right to do it.

Should have stuck to their guns. That said, they're easy to ignore I suppose so if it makes people happy then so be it. But don't complain when you finally do get romance but it's not quite good enough.

Except romance can be quite endearing when done right. You don't need multiple entries, or sequels, to create meaningful romance. Some of my favorite romances come from dragon age origins. 

It's just here, the devs didn't have the talent to make good romance. In which case, they should have instead not opted for romance. 

That's why DA:O falls under 3 on the requirement to make romance work in cRPG. Romance CANNOT create a sequel because if it does, it is too expensive for little reward. The only one that did Romance sequel right is ME3 and that one avoid creating any new char. The companion list will become too large if you want long lasting romance and sequel with new chars.

Edited by Zeitzbach
  • Like 2

So maybe it's a bit short and not that well written for the characters. I still find it entertaining to have Hylea as a wingman

Honestly, Hylea is adorable.

You should be able to romance her instead.

• Like 2

Not when she had birds defecate all over my ship! The cow!

nowt

the godess ? 

I go for berath myself..if she keep going all Knighty on meh  :wub:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

She made me cake for doing her bidding. Cake is great.

Poe2_hyleas_bounty_icon.png?version=23da

• Like 4

She made me cake for doing her bidding. Cake is great.

Poe2_hyleas_bounty_icon.png?version=23da

or SHALE! lol 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I don't know, some of the companion interactions in both Pillars games have been very emotional and heartwarming. It's just that the romance parts seem to be forcibly inserted as if it's a simple on/off option during the conversation rather than developing organically.

I think some of the platonic companion interactions are great. Eder in particular has some very touching moments with the watcher, there's a few nice bits with Sagani too.

But writing some nice friendships is a world away from writing meaningful romance.

• Like 1

I personally thought the DAO romances were pretty dire cheese to be honest. It's worth pointing out I'm a terrible cynic and I don't like Mills and Boon style sop.

But they all seemed to be "I'm a bit damaged, we're on the road together, you've given me some emotional support so now I love you. Help me with this difficult thing in my life then we can shag by the camp fire."

Thags not romance, it's titillation and fan service.

• Like 2

I'm shipping her with Magran personally. 

I kinda wish the 3rd game will have the depowered gods as companions. It would be hilarious. The Pallid Knight rolling her eyes at everyone, turning into the Usher once in a while. Hylea acting all motherly and vindicative if you piss her off. Magran being a total hotheaded tsundere. Skaen trying to backstab you all the time. Woedica, the old granny who thinks she is in charge of the party. Galawain always challenging everyone, especially the Watcher. Wael being super cryptic and hiding your stuff all over the place. Abydon just talking about technology and building stuff. Ondra try to fix things while making sure you don't remember any of it.

and Rymrgand would be the bad guy who wants to destroy everything.

• Like 6

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

All you idiots who demanded in game relationships are the ones to blame for this.

Are you happy now?! I have to suffer this terrible fan fic/romance novel writing because of you.

Good news!

They're bugged and barely there in the first place.

• Like 4

I kinda wish the 3rd game will have the depowered gods as companions. It would be hilarious. The Pallid Knight rolling her eyes at everyone, turning into the Usher once in a while. Hylea acting all motherly and vindicative if you piss her off. Magran being a total hotheaded tsundere. Skaen trying to backstab you all the time. Woedica, the old granny who thinks she is in charge of the party. Galawain always challenging everyone, especially the Watcher. Wael being super cryptic and hiding your stuff all over the place. Abydon just talking about technology and building stuff. Ondra try to fix things while making sure you don't remember any of it.

I WOULD SOOOOOOOOOO LOVE IT! 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I'm inclined to agree, because of experience and the fact that the only attempts that ever came close involved premade characters or a lack of choice on the part of the player; but at the same time...couldn't this be said of any kind of story an RPG might try to tell? Maybe story in games is just doomed from the start but I don't want to believe that. Surely, someone will get it right, someday.

They just sure didn't manage it here.

I personally thought the DAO romances were pretty dire cheese to be honest. It's worth pointing out I'm a terrible cynic and I don't like Mills and Boon style sop.

But they all seemed to be "I'm a bit damaged, we're on the road together, you've given me some emotional support so now I love you. Help me with this difficult thing in my life then we can shag by the camp fire."

Thags not romance, it's titillation and fan service.

Meh, I enjoyed Alistair's and Leliana's interactions. Though, I will concede, that the romance was cheesy at times. 

Edited by DragonWiz
  • Like 1

Ondra is so easy to ship with Wael. Wael wants to hide stuff from people, Ondra wants them to forget stuff. 

Together they are basically a recipe for Alzheimer.

• Like 4

Woedica, the old granny who thinks she is in charge of the party.

That's been done mate.

She was called Jaheira.

Nah granny doesn't thirst after you and get mad if she gets denied.

Wynne's a better example :p

Edited by Ryz009
  • Like 1

Five pages of comments and it appears not one person answered the question of "Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants" with "they're pirates, how better to get your booty?"

I am so disappointed in you Obsidan forums!  SO DISAPPOINTED!

• Like 9

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Five pages of comments and it appears not one person answered the question of "Why are half the companions trying to get in my pants" with "they're pirates, how better to get your booty?"

I am so disappointed in you Obsidan forums!  SO DISAPPOINTED!

but pirate are smelly ..like total ewwwwwwwwwwwww! ew ew ew! I don't wanna go there!  :lol:

• Like 2

Elderly Hive Dweller